Shoes And Clothing Question

Griizley

I am leaving for Thailand August 3rd and am bring a lot of clothing because I will be there for a while doing study abroad (over 1 year)...

Most likely I will need new shoes and clothing at some point lol :)

Well, I have heard it may be harder to get clothing depending on your size.

I dont know if size 12-13 shoes are available...are they?

And I am 6'2" and I have broad shoulders and am of average weight...any clothing that would fit then? lol, let me know.

EDIT - btw, please keep comments on original post.

Edited by Griizley

Big shoes can be a problem and they will probably cost as much or more than in the USA, or elsewhere. There is a high import duty in Thailand and it affects everything that is not made in Thailand. You don't see many Thais with size 12 feet. Clothing is a little easier and you can usually get something to fit. And, the seamstresses are pretty cheap if you need something resized. Most often all you need are shorts and sandals.

I use size 11 in shoes and yes, it can be a problem finding shoes in Thailand. Usually I go to Paragon, Central Chidlom, Emporium or even Robinson Asoke. Be prepared for a low selection of shoes and high prices.

Sandals are easier to find.

Just keep looking, Found a pair of saddles in a stall outside Carrefour size 46 and 200 baht, found a couple of years ago size 47 in a shop price 600 baht. Do wonder if the Stalls buy a job lot of different sizes ? this is the reason sometimes you will find a big size pair or even 2 pairs.

If you are clothes person bring all of what you need as shopping for clothes in LOS is a real hassle unless you live in the BKK area and can access the big box stores that may or may not carry the styles and sizes you require.

You cannot just walk in to a shop and expect to find any men's clothes in the larger sizes. The folks here that say you can find this or that probably forget that locating those items in the beginning was a challenge. You say you are a bigger person that means you will have difficulty finding anything to fit and be a style that looks good on you.

I wear a 46 shoe size in a extra wide. I have great difficulty finding even common flip flop sandals in a size that fits well. Most stores stock for the average Thai sizes and that means up to about 44 medium width

Play it safe and bring what you will need or have it carried in by a friend.

I am surprised you have so much difficulty finding clothes and foorwear in sizes and styles you desire , I moved over to PP and I can get any of these items custom made within a couple of days . I recently had leather shoes made at the low cost of $30.00 , the previous pair wore out the soles in 4 years but the tops remained in good condition , my wife has suits custom sewn at a cost of $12.00 , where are all of the artisans in Thailand gone ?

I take a size 12-13 shoe and, other than flip-flops, it's near impossible to find any closed shoe that fits me in any of the countries in the region -- I tried! Footwear that is backless (like flip-flops) is easier because you can cheat a size or two.

The size tags on clothing don't mean anything: the sizes are either re-defined or the workers in the factories put on the wrong tags as an expression of their sense of humor. Carry a tape measure when shopping for clothing.

Depending on the quality of the fabric you can have clothes tailor-made and the cost will be less than an off-the-peg item in the West; you needn't go to a tricked-out Indian "sooting" shop for this, look for locals.

I haven't done made-to-order shoes because I haven't found anyone who does it who can show a sample of their work.

If you're a young backpacker you are required to keep to the uniform t-shirt(or sports jersey), shorts and flip-flops, otherwise you will be ostracized by the others. ;)

bendejo , if you ever come for a visit to Cambodia , just look me up , we can take you to a few shops that do tailor made shoes and have a good display on show for you to look at , clothes , show them what you want and they make them right there .

OH , my missus is cheap so you will need to pay for the tuk-tuk , she cooks a rare hamburger though 555 .

I'm 187cm/90kg - in NZ/Oz I'd always go for XL size t-shirts, shirts but here they are a size smaller - as mentioned above don't trust a label. I'd equte the local XL as being a L in other countries. I've found the only way is to try them on before buying, on a proper collared shirt the neck size may be ok but the sleeves end somewhere between elbow and wrist. Not a good look.

Similar experiences with trousers/jeans, the waist my be ok but the leg length is lacking.

I haven't had too much trouble with footwear, buy at department store rather than stall/market.

I agree with most posters. Clothing is no problem, the are a big-size shirts and trousers shops on the 6 th floor of the MBK Center in Bangkok. And in places where farangs are frequenting , you can always find something youre size on the night markets or in the shops.

For shoes it is absolutely useless to start a search if your needs are above size 11 !!! Bring them in from abroad. Myself I packed two pairs of TEVA's, one with closed toe, one an open sandal. Both offer heavy trekking quality which you will never find with a Thai made sandal, and the closed toe one is sociably acceptable even on a banquett diner in a 5 star environment ! Fly in with a good pair of closed leather shoes, which are required for doing business in Bangkok and beyond.

Don t get tempted wearing socks to sandals, as this is flat out laughable, even if someone told you that Robin Hood wore them in a movie !

What goes for flip-flops, they are a bit more easy to find, even in size 12. They are a cool footwear around the home and for a short trip to seven-eleven. For longer trips, the casual Short Bermuda pants and sandals are option one for achieving a nice, casual look and don t stand out of the masses. In the city it should be long trousers plus leather shoes or closed toes trekking sandals.

You will soon find out that leather shoes are not a good idea in tropic conditions. Also, a leather sandal breaks down and wears a lot faster in here conditions , leather gets beaky and hard if not constantly oiled and cleaned.

Teva's are durable, easy to clean, they dry within 10 minutes in the sun !