Phuket Bars Closed For Two Days

webfact

Phuket bars closed for two days

phuket-1-REMAnUA.jpg

The controversial alcohol sales rules affect only retail sales, not bulk purchases.

PHUKET: -- All bars and nightlife entertainment venues on the island must close for the two-day Asarnha Bucha Day public holidays (today and tomorrow), Phuket Provincial Police have confirmed.

A spokesperson in the Phuket Provincial Police planning section today confirmed that there will be a two-day ban on alcohol sales at all nightlife venues.

Alcohol sales at retail establishments will remain as normal, with alcohol being available for sale from 11am to 2pm and from 5pm until midnight.

Asarnha Bucha Day, on the full moon of the eighth lunar month, commemorates the Buddha’s first sermon and the founding of the Buddhist sangha.

Believers observe the day by making merit at temples and attending sermons.

Respecting the alcohol ban disrupts trade in Phuket’s renowned bar scene, for local residents and tourists alike.

Among the disruptions as a result of the ban, play in the Patong Darts League has been postponed.

A highly anticipated match-up between league leaders Hemingway’s and the last team to beat them, Market Bar, has been postponed to take place at Market Bar on Nanai Rd on Thursday at 8:30pm.

Players on other teams should contact their captains to find out when the matches will be played.

The league is also holding an emergency meeting at 3pm on Wednesday to discuss the future of the league.

Started about 10 years ago, the league is down to just six teams and many of these are having difficulty finding players.

League secretary Olivier Lambert of Shakers Bar has asked all bar owners to be present. Any other league members are also welcome to attend.

“We need to put some ideas together to improve conditions,” he said.

Organizers of other events or activities that will be affected by the ban are welcome to post information in the Reader’s Forum below.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-07-26

A fine line between respect for tradition, interference by religion and keeping the masses happy who don't give a hoot, happy. Oh well - it won't hurt to abstain for a few days - but just feel for the tourists who arrived to party and cannot. TIT.

Would it not be more respectful if people were given a choice whether to abstain or not, maybe Buddhists should abstain on Buddhist holy days,people coming here on vacation should be able to have a glass of wine with dinner, I used to give up drinking during lent, I did not demand everyone else in the U.K. had to abstain with me whether they were catholic or not. Thailand has many problems at the moment, tourists looking to spend money in bars and clubs should not be one of them, why not ban people from smoking on holy days, maybe food also, ban watching tv, sex,drugs,

THAILAND MOVE INTO THE 21ST CENTURY OR BECOME A 3RD RATE TOURIST DESTINATION

they can always drink in their rooms. Theres more to Phuket than its bars

When u travel to a foreiogn country you should repsect and learn of the customs which far to few tourists seem to do.

I would say this can run both ways...

"The citizens and administration of a country should respect the customs and religious beliefs of the guests they have invited for the purpose of relieving them of their money."

Easy to say what other people should do, isn't it?

• Like 1

If there's one issue to get people really excited on this site - alcohol - how sad!

Hope you all manage to survive - 2 whole days without a drink.....what kind of lives do you lead????

Edited by Deeral

When u travel to a foreiogn country you should repsect and learn of the customs which far to few tourists seem to do.

Nonsense, tourists don't mind and I understand them, that's why I will never travel to any muslim country where they want me to respect some retarded rules... Especially because when anyone goes to my country they do what they want, as we don't have of these stupid tradition...

Maybe the tourists just come for the beach and tropical climate and couldn't care less about the traditions, culture

or people of the country they are visiting. Unless you are paying for their holiday, I don't think it is for you to tell people

what they should or shouldn't do.

I was in Pattaya when the bars where shut for the cremation of the princess. No big deal. Stocked up the fridge, took a girl for a few days and had her bring her kid and a friend over to play in the pool. You could still get a beer in the cafes.

The worrying thing is not whethet you can drink or not; You can! As the openinhg post says, you can buy Al K Hol in shops. The concern is that there is no legal basis for the police imposing the ban.

Thailand is fast becoming a police state and not one with a police force run by the gov. The police impose roadside fines at will and now they are the ones who decide when the bars close.

As for those who say "respect the country's rools", it would be possible to do such if there were actually any. When you book a holiday, you do not ask the local police chief what his plans for your stay are.

Finally, if Thailand were truly Buddhist, they would all be teetotal vegetarians as that was what the Buddha requested of them. Sadly, not even a small percentage of a small percentage are.

Edited by Soi Sauce

Would it not be more respectful if people were given a choice whether to abstain or not, maybe Buddhists should abstain on Buddhist holy days,people coming here on vacation should be able to have a glass of wine with dinner, I used to give up drinking during lent, I did not demand everyone else in the U.K. had to abstain with me whether they were catholic or not. Thailand has many problems at the moment, tourists looking to spend money in bars and clubs should not be one of them, why not ban people from smoking on holy days, maybe food also, ban watching tv, sex,drugs,

THAILAND MOVE INTO THE 21ST CENTURY OR BECOME A 3RD RATE TOURIST DESTINATION

Let us be happy that Thailand is not (yet) a muslim country.

If there's one issue to get people really excited on this site - alcohol - how sad!

Hope you all manage to survive - 2 whole days without a drink.....what kind of lives do you lead????

What!!! Such a smug comment :huh:

Neither -just someone whio's life isn't ruled by alcohol or any other drug - only an alcky could consider it a smug comment - ashamed of their dependency on drink

It astounds me how almost every action by the expat community in Thailand is dominated by alcohol.

Where they go, when they go, how they get there, what they do when they're there, and finally waking up the next day and trying to excuse what they did.

THey just don't have an inkling of how their lives are completely dominated by the breweries or their dealer of choice.

fancy a thread with people saying how they will get through the next few hours - not by doping something but by getting hold of a drink one way or another as if it is crucial to life or its enjoyment.

When was the last time they did anything - had a good laugh or had sex even without a beer or two?...

Let us be happy that Thailand is not (yet) a muslim country.

I do not think it will ever become a muslim country that would totaly destroy thier tourist industry. What would become of places like phuket and Pattaya? More unemployment girls out of work bars closed. Don't ever think the muslim faith will take over.

you can still buy all you want from the local mum & pop stores, local hardware gardening or laundry shops

Not quite the same as going out for the evening when on holiday and enjoying a meal and a few drinks. There is more to it than just consuming alcohol.

Not quite the same as going out for the evening when on holiday and enjoying a meal and a few drinks. There is more to it than just consuming alcohol.

Yes I agree 100% but I was getting the impression that some were worried where the next drink was coming from.

I was in Pattaya when the bars where shut for the cremation of the princess. No big deal. Stocked up the fridge, took a girl for a few days and had her bring her kid and a friend over to play in the pool. You could still get a beer in the cafes.

In at least one Italian restaurant in Pattaya, on “special” days, they serve wine in mugs. Problem solved.

I do not think it will ever become a muslim country that would totaly destroy thier tourist industry. What would become of places like phuket and Pattaya? More unemployment girls out of work bars closed. Don't ever think the muslim faith will take over.

They are everywhere already, Patts included.

Just sent the step daughter out for another bottle of my favorite tipple from the rice vendor...she and wife unit spent the whole morning at temple feeding the monks....gotta support the Thai economy right..sorry for my Aussie mate & spouse ... just arrived in Phuket on vacation...pissing with rain and the bars are not supposed to be selling liquor...some vacation..hope he bought some duty free and his resort is comfy....

Nonsense, tourists don't mind and I understand them, that's why I will never travel to any muslim country where they want me to respect some retarded rules... Especially because when anyone goes to my country they do what they want, as we don't have of these stupid tradition...

In some muslim countries, such as Egypt, they do not mind if “christians” drink alcohol.

In some other muslim countries, such as Indonesia, everybody drinks; you cannot even see a difference between muslims and “christians”.

So now we judge the worlds greatest religions on their alcohol content???

Well, Christ's blood is represented by wine at Holy Communion. I think that makes alcohol a large part of Christian culture. Cannot understand how some people can't respect that.