Thai Hsbc A/C And Atm Charges

TheJalapenoKid

Hi

I have a Thai HSBC A/c but as there are no branches in the area i am wondering which Thai bank, if any, have a free withdrawal fee, or which in your opinion charges the least?

I could use my UK card also if you have any suggestions for UK cards.

Thanks

TJK

There is a AEON bank on either the 2nd or 3rd floor at market village

I used it myself about 3 weeks ago and it is free withdrawals for foreign atm cards

Aeon is a Japanese bank :jap: consequently does not charge the baht 150 as per the Thai banks.

There is a list of ATM's on their website, in my experience they have one in Big C's. Anyway check this out! ~~~~

http://www.aeonthailand.com/lang/en/menu/AEON_ATM

TBWG :wai:

• 6 months later...

Im a premier customer and Im thinking about opening a HSBC Thai branch account in order to handle my money in Thailand easier. Can anyone tell me if the Thai HSBC ATM card when used at other banks throughout thailand is treated as a local card that does'nt incurr the 150 Bt handling charge for foreign banks?

Thanks.

Edited by lukey1979

Even it doesn't it will cost 25bht (or is it 50?) fee at least, and I haven't seen any branches in HH, how do you go about opening it? Do you have to open a new account or do they link it to your UK account? And whats the fee and wait time on each transfer from the UK account?

Asking out of personal interest as I use NatWest in the UK and Kasikorn here and itts about £20 charge on the UK side and 800bht here for a transfer.

The Premier account allows you to transfer money from any HSBC account worldwide instantly online to your Thai HSBC account free of charge.....however a minimum balance of 3million Baht is required and set up costs are considerable..only one branch in BKK......you will be charged the 25Baht fee if withdrawing from SCB Kasikorn etc

Even it doesn't it will cost 25bht (or is it 50?) fee at least, and I haven't seen any branches in HH, how do you go about opening it? Do you have to open a new account or do they link it to your UK account? And whats the fee and wait time on each transfer from the UK account?

Asking out of personal interest as I use NatWest in the UK and Kasikorn here and itts about £20 charge on the UK side and 800bht here for a transfer.

If your looking for free withdrawls and transfer fees etc.....open a Norwhich and Petaborough account. Free withdrawls worldwide, so you can go in SCB Hua Hin with your passport and atm and do a counter withdrawl free of charge also.....only requirement is you must have at least 500 Sterling paid ino the account each month.....and of course, opening the account requires money laundering docs etc to be sent to their office, so if you are here isnt that easy.

The Premier account allows you to transfer money from any HSBC account worldwide instantly online to your Thai HSBC account free of charge.....however a minimum balance of 3million Baht is required and set up costs are considerable..only one branch in BKK......you will be charged the 25Baht fee if withdrawing from SCB Kasikorn etc

Please can you explain what you mean when you say the set up costs are consideable? Im not aware of any set up costs.. Thanks.

Edited by lukey1979

Please can you explain what you mean when you say the set up costs are consideable? Im not aware of any set up costs.. Thanks.

As you are already a premier customer, its best you consult wih HSBC about set up costs as each individuals circumstances are different.

If your looking for free withdrawls and transfer fees etc.....open a Norwhich and Petaborough account. Free withdrawls worldwide, so you can go in SCB Hua Hin with your passport and atm and do a counter withdrawl free of charge also.....only requirement is you must have at least 500 Sterling paid ino the account each month.....and of course, opening the account requires money laundering docs etc to be sent to their office, so if you are here isnt that easy.

interesting, thanks.

When I use my HSBC Bangkok ATM card in any Thai ATM machine there is no charge.

I fail to see how as all thai bank atm cards charge a fee of 25bht at a different bank. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I use a combination of Nationwide (not free but very cheap) in the UK and Aeon in HH. The Co-op Bank is free I understand, as is ING.

Most UK High Street banks charge a fee plus give a lousy exchange rate, Nationwides fee is only small (to cover Visa charges) and their exchange rate seems to be nearer Thai rates than UK rates.

Probably someone has done more research than this though.

I use a combination of Nationwide (not free but very cheap) in the UK and Aeon in HH. The Co-op Bank is free I understand, as is ING.

Most UK High Street banks charge a fee plus give a lousy exchange rate, Nationwides fee is only small (to cover Visa charges) and their exchange rate seems to be nearer Thai rates than UK rates.

ING UK?????...they dont offer an ATM card and you can only transfer to linked accounts by sending them a cheque first from that particular bank........N&P are the only bank/building society offering free withdrawls on a current account worldwide at the moment.

You should not be using UK exchange rates as you should be sending the money in GBP not bht. The free commision shit you see in the UK is a load of bs because they give you about 3 or 4 baht less on exchange.

The thai banks commision about 1baht off the national exchange rate, so you should be losing the transfer fee and the fee/exchange rate from thai banks only. Exchange rate here is always far better then the UK, I don't change any money there at all.

With Natwest to Kasikorn I'm paying a 20quid transfer fee at Natwest and about 800bht on 50 thousand at Kasikorn. So around 20 quid at each end, if nationwide don't charge much I could save about 20 quid on the UK side. But still loose around 20quid on a thousand here as I don't think you can save anymore as all banks take about 1bht.

However if you could get free ATM withdrawls with a UK bank, it could be the best way because Aeon I get a prettymuch spot on international exchange rate. But NW charge about 6-10quid on withdrawls from a couple thousand to 20.

Edited by sam666

From: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Do you want a debit card instead?

If you can't get a credit card due to a weaker credit rating, or would prefer a bank account with a debit card to spend on abroad, you have a few options:

Norwich & Peterborough BS has changed its current account range, for both new and existing customers, to have 0% overseas spending fees and no cash withdrawal fee worldwide. However to avoid all charges you must meet some requirements...

Gold Classic

The Gold Classic card* charges a £5 fee unless you pay in £500 per month (approx £6,100 salary). There's also a £5 monthly fee if you go into your authorised overdraft by more than £10.

If you apply via moneysupermarket (the link above takes you there) you'll get a £150 holiday voucher, however it can only be used on brochure holidays for minimum seven day stay for two people. It's likely you can beat this price using our Package Holidays guide.

Gold Light

The Gold Light card charges £5 if you make fewer than five transactions a month. There's no authorised overdraft for new customers, so ensure you don't spend more than you have in the account or you'll be hit with some big fees.

Santander Zero. If you have a Santander savings account with over £10,000 in, or a mortgage or investment product with it, you could apply for the Santander Zero* account, and get fees-free spending and ATM withdrawals worldwide.

Provided you haven't already got a current account with Santander, you'll also get a £100 sign up bonus. See Best Bank Accounts guide for how this compares.

Do you want a debit card instead?

If you can't get a credit card due to a weaker credit rating, or would prefer a bank account with a debit card to spend on abroad, you have a few options:

Norwich & Peterborough BS has changed its current account range, for both new and existing customers, to have 0% overseas spending fees and no cash withdrawal fee worldwide. However to avoid all charges you must meet some requirements...

Gold Classic

The Gold Classic card* charges a £5 fee unless you pay in £500 per month (approx £6,100 salary). There's also a £5 monthly fee if you go into your authorised overdraft by more than £10.

If you apply via moneysupermarket (the link above takes you there) you'll get a £150 holiday voucher, however it can only be used on brochure holidays for minimum seven day stay for two people. It's likely you can beat this price using our Package Holidays guide.

Gold Light

The Gold Light card charges £5 if you make fewer than five transactions a month. There's no authorised overdraft for new customers, so ensure you don't spend more than you have in the account or you'll be hit with some big fees.

Santander Zero. If you have a Santander savings account with over £10,000 in, or a mortgage or investment product with it, you could apply for the Santander Zero* account, and get fees-free spending and ATM withdrawals worldwide.

Provided you haven't already got a current account with Santander, you'll also get a £100 sign up bonus. See Best Bank Accounts guide for how this compares.

The N & P account is the best option as you can get money withouit any charges, as you could with Nationwide until last November. The problem is, if you are 'not normally resident in the U.K.' you cant have a U.K. bank account and must go offshore...Most large U.K. Banks/Building Socities offer offshore accounts but you loose the protection offered on mainland accounts. Of course if you have a mailing address of family or friends in the U.K. as most Expats here do, its possible to have an account although be it illegal, and if the bank finds out they can close the account. Also, if you are living here and want to open a new U.K. account, its the money laundering docs that all banks are required to obtain from new customers that is a problem.....how can you send a certified copy of your passport/driving licence without a trip to the U.K.