What Bike Naked Bike To Choose From ?

oMega69

Iam not sure what would be the best naked bike to ride iam going for a late 90is model . . . ,

The CB4 are every were and should have a lots of spare parts available . .,

The Bandit V has the most advance engine. , but i nightmare when the valves need repair . ,

The XJR look biggest and most evil engine sound . , ZRX look cool also but might be hard with spare parts . . ,

So what you guys think...any former owners ? .,

post-40903-080525000 1280228697_thumb.jp

post-40903-043841900 1280228718_thumb.jp

post-40903-035202800 1280228736_thumb.jp

post-40903-057437600 1280228749_thumb.jp

Edited by oMega69

Had CB's.. Had a bandit.. Ridden XJR's.. Had a CBR4.. Etc etc..

Spend that bit more, and get a ER6.. Better on every level, and the difference in buy price you will save in having a dealer supplied parts ordering chain and good mechanics..

Just my 2c.

Spend that bit more, and get a ER6.. Better on every level, and the difference in buy price you will save in having a dealer supplied parts ordering chain and good mechanics..

Just my 2c.

Interested in your comparisons of the 400s - reliability, parts, suit what roads, comfort, handling, 2-up?

CB, solid reliable.. Bit of a plodder.. Never ridden a later model VTEC3 or whatever the post 03 sharper tailed ones are.. Feels like a good commuter or bike courier bike.. Not very exciting.. IF you can find a good one, and that isnt easy with old thai mechanics, they should go forever. Parts easier to get but still grey market.

Bandit, surprisingly fun, handled well, much more of a racer chassis, inspired good corner confidence the front felt planted.. yet on an upright bike, more like 60hp v the 40 on a CB and possibly my favorite of the 400's.. Parts more a struggle, but really, once its grey market its ALL a struggle.. Hence my Kwaker advice..

XJR only a test ride on one.. Would put it closer to the CB than the bandit in the range.. Not a clue on parts..

The lack of parts, of engines that have been bodged and badly maintained.. Just too much effort.. Hence why kwaker have changed the game.. IMO all the ones under 70 or so k will all be old and with odd maintenance history.. Good ones, really clean ones, even higher.. Why spend 80k on an old dog, that ends up costing 5k a month in bits and effort, when you could get a brand new er6 on tick for 80k down, and spend the same to buy it as maintaining an old one. Sure every once in a while there is a real clean working one, often owned by a farang before and properly looked after, but for each of those theres 10 dogs on mocyc or thaisecondhand without plates, with messed up green books, and a host of other issues.

CB, solid reliable.. Bit of a plodder.. Never ridden a later model VTEC3 or whatever the post 03 sharper tailed ones are.. Feels like a good commuter or bike courier bike.. Not very exciting.. IF you can find a good one, and that isnt easy with old thai mechanics, they should go forever. Parts easier to get but still grey market.

Bandit, surprisingly fun, handled well, much more of a racer chassis, inspired good corner confidence the front felt planted.. yet on an upright bike, more like 60hp v the 40 on a CB and possibly my favorite of the 400's.. Parts more a struggle, but really, once its grey market its ALL a struggle.. Hence my Kwaker advice..

XJR only a test ride on one.. Would put it closer to the CB than the bandit in the range.. Not a clue on parts..

The lack of parts, of engines that have been bodged and badly maintained.. Just too much effort.. Hence why kwaker have changed the game.. IMO all the ones under 70 or so k will all be old and with odd maintenance history.. Good ones, really clean ones, even higher.. Why spend 80k on an old dog, that ends up costing 5k a month in bits and effort, when you could get a brand new er6 on tick for 80k down, and spend the same to buy it as maintaining an old one. Sure every once in a while there is a real clean working one, often owned by a farang before and properly looked after, but for each of those theres 10 dogs on mocyc or thaisecondhand without plates, with messed up green books, and a host of other issues.

Thanks for effort in reply. Appreciated.

when you could get a brand new er6 on tick for 80k down

Seen 2nd hand ones down to only 170k already.

I'd also go the Kwacker route... But I won't.

Coz I'm broke. :(

Edited by thomo

when you could get a brand new er6 on tick for 80k down

Seen 2nd hand ones down to only 170k already.

I'd also go the Kwacker route... But I won't.

Coz I'm broke. :(

Thomo.................. +1....... me too. And no finance company will finance big bikes here in Thailand. It's a shame as i think there will be a big market soon.

Just my 2c.

....seconded:thumbsup: there is currently a ER6N with GPS on thaivisa Calssifieds for 169000 thb...

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Just my 2c.

....seconded:thumbsup: there is currently a ER6N with GPS on thaivisa Calssifieds for 169000 thb...

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Just had a look at the bike in classified, real bargain for someone.

Yeah the buying on the slate comment was simply based on the idea hes probably looking at an 60 - 90k buy of an older 400.. Same money gets a brand new 650 (downpayment) and while its not every older bike thats a money pit, enough of them are that the money spent on maintaining an old dog could be put into buying a brand new shiny good bike.

Of course theres now some interesting deals on second hand ones, but it does need that bit more up front cash that may be tough for some buyers to justify, overall trying to emphasize that the total cost of ownership is less one sided than it seems going second hand.

No WP needed.. From memory its about 80k down and then over how many years.. All looked fairly reasonable if being on the drip was required.

Or as people are saying.. Second hand in the mid / high 1xx,xxx range.

Another aspect is you can get fully comp insurance on the kwaker cheaply.. You cant get class 1 on some old grey import.. Drop the kwaker, or get hit by someone, and the insurance pays, drop the old grey import and your paying.. Another big selling point and peace of mind in going kwaker.

All of those bikes have some issues with spare parts. If you fall, you're pretty much guaranteed to smash the clocks. You'd be hard pressed to find replacement gauges and related parts. I lowsided my XJR at around 30km/h and broke the tacho and snapped the supports for it's housing. I can't find a replacement unless I dump at least 6k baht in ordering from Japan. It would actually be cheaper to buy an aftermarket digital dash.

I do adore my XJR1300 though. Assuming all things are equal except for the engine capacity between the 400 and the 1300, I like my XJR's looks compared to that of the CB. The ZRX is pretty old skool in that respects, the CB is a standard looking bike but the XJR is pure muscle.

HDR4.jpg

IMG_6128_6_7.jpg

Edited by Zzinged

Just my 2c.

I have been VERY happy with my ER6n. Have it decked out with aluminum top & side cases, etc. I can haul a lot of groceries or travel far and long. Not a Beemer, but reasonable handling, adequate power and, so far, completely reliable.

post-74366-061219500 1280275603_thumb.jp

My CB1300 definately doesn't feel like a plodder! Fantastic torque from standstill and despite the weight it is no slouch from the lights, in fact will beat most "'sportsbikes" on the stop to 1/4 mile. Won't argue that its top speed may not compete with supersports but that's no real issue for me in LOS. 2006 model, great condition, low km, plates and genuine book (done by small dealer with import papers. Last I saw he had good CB4's, anothet CB1300 and a selaection of other good quality imports). Had my CB1300 over a year now and no issues with book for renewal of tax etc., and spares have not been a problem so far.

post-37652-097939800 1280314163_thumb.jp

Edited by Scottish Thailander

He was asking about a CB400 which is a bit of a plodder IMO, but as I said never ridden a VTEC3 or whatever late model.

Forgot the CB1 more lively than the CB 400 but the one I rode gave off lots of engine heat.. Not nice unless on an open road.

Beautiful photos of an immaculate bike. Thanks for sharing those, Zzinged!

There is a Bandit 400 for sale with many parts like 2nd exhaust. the German owner wants to buy a SR 500. I think I saw in here on Tv classifieds and also on www.bahtsold.com The price is 55,000 Baht

Chris

Reason for edit: added the price

Edited by Kf6vci

Used to have a Honda X-11 (naked Blackbird) when I lived in Bangkok. Highly unpractical as you get stuck in traffic jams on it, but great fun. Sold it in 2003 through Peter at the old Siam Superbike, anyone here buy it? Easy to spot as it had a number '11' plate.