Import Duties/Customs On Electronic Products

jaideeguy

Not being sure which forum to post this on, I finally decided on this one.....where the smart geeks that import their electronic toys. What I am researching is the customs and duties on importing solar elect panels and an inverter from dc to ac.....basically a large UPS to power lights, electronics and pumps for household use. have found some good deals on solar panels from Japan and US, but would like to know how they tax them on import into LOS.

Are they in the same classification as common electronics [computer parts etc]?? and what is that rate??

or maybe the Thai govmt can see the enviornmental benefits and give lowered import customs and duty rates??

any experiences or ideas where to find that info???

Can't help on the duty side but when looking at inverters the sine wave type is 100% compatible with all devices where as the modified square wave version can cause some headaches with some electronics. I used one of these in the past and always had buzzing through the phone and TV etc. There would be many places around Thailand that could use micro hydro power generation rather than solar panels and at a fraction of the price. Standard synchronous AC motors can easily be modified for this with a capacitor.

I wish I did have a stream near by to get hydro power.....as you say, it's the best 100% power 7/24.....but unfortunately all we have is this dam_n solar. Might as well make use of it. Have found good cheap sources of solar panels and will go for it. they are available locally @ 200thb/watt, but can get them overseas [by the pallet] @ $1/watt + shipping and duties.

And also agree with you on inverters and will go for the full sine wave types. Still researching sources and prices of that overseas, but know that LOS prices are over the top.

Hi Jaideeguy

We import many items for our boat building business and have brought in a wind generator and were told by Customs that there is now a flat rate duty of 5% on 'Eco' products - unless you can find a better rate for the actual product. The Customs Dept. does have a good web site where you can find out what the HCC code for a product is and check the duty rates. Customs web site

To find the code for a product click on 'Import Tariff' then click on 'Decree 2550' this opens a page that lists all products.

For PV Cells go to Chapter 85 Electrical and click. Search through this section and you will find PV cells under 8541.40 Back to the home page - click on 'Search for Import Tariff' and enter this code in the top box. Click search then click on 8541.40.20 From the page that opens the relevant (current) duty will be under '000 : Notification of the Ministry of Finance Section 12 of the Customs Tariff Decree B.E. 2530 (General Rate)' As you can see PV cells are exempted.

Inverters come under 8504.40.40 and have a duty rate of 10%.

Beware; Batteries get hammered at 30% and you also pay a 10% excise duty on top of the import duty.

LED's are also zero rated.

Hope this helps.

I wish I did have a stream near by to get hydro power.....as you say, it's the best 100% power 7/24.....but unfortunately all we have is this dam_n solar. Might as well make use of it. Have found good cheap sources of solar panels and will go for it. they are available locally @ 200thb/watt, but can get them overseas [by the pallet] @ $1/watt + shipping and duties.

And also agree with you on inverters and will go for the full sine wave types. Still researching sources and prices of that overseas, but know that LOS prices are over the top.

Best we found on local panels was around B.100 per Watt

Yotspeed.....wow, thanks for the info. As I hoped, there is a break for 'eco' products.

A good imported inverter @ 10% is not too bad either. Have seen some complete systems that include both solar panels and inverters......maybe that would be clasified as 'eco' as well??

Batteries....I'm thinking because of weight, they would be expensive to ship and i'm sure lead acid truck and golf cart batteries would be available here.

Where and what brand of solar panels did you find locally @ 100thb/watt???

Yotspeed.....wow, thanks for the info. As I hoped, there is a break for 'eco' products.

A good imported inverter @ 10% is not too bad either. Have seen some complete systems that include both solar panels and inverters......maybe that would be clasified as 'eco' as well??

Batteries....I'm thinking because of weight, they would be expensive to ship and i'm sure lead acid truck and golf cart batteries would be available here.

Where and what brand of solar panels did you find locally @ 100thb/watt???

Was a while back. Made in Thailand by Bangkok Solar

The deep cycle and traction batteries are made in Thailand, will try and dig out company names. Readily available and prices not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar duty question. I've been to the Customs website and try as I might, I cannot find the computer peripherals/equipment-related section. I've looked through Sec 84xxx and found nothing.

Specifically, I'm looking for the duty on a 'network router'. Has anybody imported one or have any suggestions on how to properly search the custom's website?

I also want to know the duty on normal household-type 220v anti-surge multi-plug electrical outlet (not part of a UPS). For this item, I did find the term mentioned in the customs site under the main heading, but soon became completely lost in searching the sub-headings as I did not see that term used again.

Hopefully somebody has imported similar items and already knows the classification (or please just let me know the duty percentage paid so I know what to expect).

On top of the duty, can I expect the 7% VAT as well?

Thanks!