Sihanoukville To Phu Quoc Virtnam

neverburi

The short answer is yes,in fact I travelled from Sihanoukville to Vietnam yesterday,so the information is pretty up to date!! The easiest way to do it from Sihanoukville is to catch a bus,which goes via Kampot and Kep to the Prek Chak/Xa Xien border crossing and then on into Vietnam to Ha Tien.The bus left at 08.10 (we left the bus station at 07.30,but we picked up passengers from their hotels).It's about 1+1/2 hours to Kampot,then 45 minutes to Kep,45 minutes to the border and about an hour (depending on passenger numbers/visa issues) through the border to Ha Tien.I used a company called Virak Buntham,who charge 20USD inclusive of the hotel pick-up.You can get tickets either from your hotel,a travel agent or direct from the bus station.When you get to Ha Tien,the bus goes straight to the tour office,less than 100m from the ferry pier,which is where you get the boat to Phu Quoc Island.There's a boat at 08.00and another at 13.30.so it is normally possible to leave Sihanoukville at 08.00,get to Ha Tien at around 12.00 to 12.30,and catch the 13.30 boat to Phu Quoc,all in one day.You can't rely on it 100%,if there are delays on the road or problems at the border,but I would say that most times there would be no problem.The worst scenario is that you'd have to spend a night in Ha Tien.It's not that bad,(which is why I live here!)The return journey is just in reverse,you get the boat from Phu Quoc(I think 08.00) and the bus leaves Ha Tien at 12.30 for Sihanoukville (again via Kep/Kampot) arriving c 17.00 The only slight irritation is the silly 1USD "health certificate",entering Cambodia or entering Vietnam,which is obviously just a scam,but it isn't worth making a fuss over 1USD and getting delayed.Contrary to some reports you CAN get a Cambodian visa at the border,I have a business visa so don't need to,but other people on the bus were charged 22 USD so there's a slight "surcharge" on the official 20USD price but again not worth arguing over.Hope this helps.If you have any other questions please post here or you can PM me

Do you get your Vietnam visa in Sihanoukville ? How much ?

thx

LLL

Well I have never done it personally,as I don't need a Vietnam visa.I am married to a Vietnamese girl,and we live in Vietnam so I have a 5 year visa exemption, but friends of mine have got a Vietnam visa there before, it was done while they waited at the Vietnamese consulate in Sihanoukville,and I think from memory they paid about 30USD for a 30 day single entry visa,(it's a lot cheaper than getting one at the Embassy in Bangkok)

The short answer is yes,in fact I travelled from Sihanoukville to Vietnam yesterday,so the information is pretty up to date!! The easiest way to do it from Sihanoukville is to catch a bus,which goes via Kampot and Kep to the Prek Chak/Xa Xien border crossing and then on into Vietnam to Ha Tien.The bus left at 08.10 (we left the bus station at 07.30,but we picked up passengers from their hotels).It's about 1+1/2 hours to Kampot,then 45 minutes to Kep,45 minutes to the border and about an hour (depending on passenger numbers/visa issues) through the border to Ha Tien.I used a company called Virak Buntham,who charge 20USD inclusive of the hotel pick-up.You can get tickets either from your hotel,a travel agent or direct from the bus station.When you get to Ha Tien,the bus goes straight to the tour office,less than 100m from the ferry pier,which is where you get the boat to Phu Quoc Island.There's a boat at 08.00and another at 13.30.so it is normally possible to leave Sihanoukville at 08.00,get to Ha Tien at around 12.00 to 12.30,and catch the 13.30 boat to Phu Quoc,all in one day.You can't rely on it 100%,if there are delays on the road or problems at the border,but I would say that most times there would be no problem.The worst scenario is that you'd have to spend a night in Ha Tien.It's not that bad,(which is why I live here!)The return journey is just in reverse,you get the boat from Phu Quoc(I think 08.00) and the bus leaves Ha Tien at 12.30 for Sihanoukville (again via Kep/Kampot) arriving c 17.00 The only slight irritation is the silly 1USD "health certificate",entering Cambodia or entering Vietnam,which is obviously just a scam,but it isn't worth making a fuss over 1USD and getting delayed.Contrary to some reports you CAN get a Cambodian visa at the border,I have a business visa so don't need to,but other people on the bus were charged 22 USD so there's a slight "surcharge" on the official 20USD price but again not worth arguing over.Hope this helps.If you have any other questions please post here or you can PM me

Thanks for the info,how long is the ferry to Phu Quoc i read in 2008 it takes 8 hours

Cheers NB :unsure:

We went on the 13.30 ferry from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc.It's one of the fast fireglass ones and takes about 1+1/2 hours, It's quite large,(from memory about 100+ passengers),and costs 160,000VND O/W.There are smaller wooden fishing boat type ferries,which locals and budget travellers use,I'm sure they are relatively seaworthy but I didn't fancy my chances on one!.It's quite possible that they take a lot longer,as I think it's about 45km from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc.We caught the ferry back from Phu Quoc to Rach Gia,which is considerably further,and even though it was a bigger and faster boat,it took about 2+1/2 hours.I think that was 250,000VND O/W.(currently 1USD =c19000VND)

We went on the 13.30 ferry from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc.It's one of the fast fireglass ones and takes about 1+1/2 hours, It's quite large,(from memory about 100+ passengers),and costs 160,000VND O/W.There are smaller wooden fishing boat type ferries,which locals and budget travellers use,I'm sure they are relatively seaworthy but I didn't fancy my chances on one!.It's quite possible that they take a lot longer,as I think it's about 45km from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc.We caught the ferry back from Phu Quoc to Rach Gia,which is considerably further,and even though it was a bigger and faster boat,it took about 2+1/2 hours.I think that was 250,000VND O/W.(currently 1USD =c19000VND)

I have a Cambodian E-Visa doesn't appear to be valid for the Ha Tien border crossing have to go via Phnom Den (takeo) then to Ha Tien

NB

This information is really spotty and outdated but here it is:

I had take a ferry to the island in 2003. In taking the ferry, esp this time of year you have to be careful as they do not run in rough seas and you may get stuck for days.

The border along the coast (note) was not open at this time to foreigners, you had to use the interior crossing(s).

I obtained my visa for Vietnam in Kampong Som (I think US25) about 20 mins

Evening of my check in I was summoned to the communist party headquarters cum police station where I was harangued in Vietnamese for two hours (for being a spy no doubt), my passport was tossed back to me and I was free to go.

The island has some decent stretches of beach but nothing special. It is noted for the best fish sauce in Vietnam and possibly Asia.

Hope this helps.

Hi Andy, was speaking to Brendan and hoping to come down to Ha tien in early November, Hope your well, mark.