Legal Teaching Posisition

esquo

I was wondering if someone could give me some information about obtaining a Legal teaching posistion at a University in Thailand. My wife and I plan on moving back to Thailand at some point and I would love to teach Law. I have been attorney for 15 years.

Edited by esquo

Not sure what country you practiced law in, but you won't find work teaching law at a Thai university. Only Thai nationals can practice law in Thailand, and there is no demand for teaching of foreign law.

Errrrrr, beg to differ. Chula Uni were looking 3 months ago for foreigners from the UK and USA to teach Corporate, Investment Laws applicable to other countries.

Check out the Faculty of Law and the International programs.

Most unis here would love to have someone with your exp share your knowledge with their students. Decide where you are going to live and check the unis for legal programs. You might start brushing up on international law which would be of the most use to your students. There is a lot of work and need for someone with your exp. You would def have more private work than you could handle.

Not sure what country you practiced law in, but you won't find work teaching law at a Thai university.

Errrrrr, beg to differ. Chula Uni were looking 3 months ago for foreigners from the UK and USA to teach Corporate, Investment Laws applicable to other countries.

Check out the Faculty of Law and the International programs.

Seconded - I've taught Business Law modules in Thailand on a few uni Intenational programmes in Bangkok. It has to be said, however, that the opportunities are few.

Not sure what country you practiced law in, but you won't find work teaching law at a Thai university. Only Thai nationals can practice law in Thailand, and there is no demand for teaching of foreign law.

I also totally disagree with this statement, as I taught law courses at a Bangkok university several years ago. There is a demand but as others have said, it is not huge nor is it particularly lucrative, unless things have changed drastically of late.

Agree, it's possible, but hard to get. Business law is the easiest, but not so interesting for me. I've been teaching here for 10 years. Full-time where you become part of a law faculty is really difficult, but part-time opportunities come along if you work at it.

There are many U.S.-licensed lawyers working in Korea, but not as teachers. They work at Korean law firms, lending their expertise dealing with English-language clients and cases. They are not licensed as lawyers in Korea. They are more like English-language paralegals behind the scenes. Given the huge amount of international business conducted in Bangkok, it seems like there would be similar positions in Thailand.

Note: These English-language "lawyers" have Korean language skills ranging from zero to relatively fluent (speaking and listening). (Reading and writing Korean language would rarely be required.)

I've no experience of teaching Law at any Thai University as the OP was asking about. However, as an English teacher, my best client was a lawyer. She initially hired me for six hours per week, in the evenings, and the rate was the highest I've ever had, before or since, at 1,200baht/hour. She required help with her grammar, and had lots of questions about the best way to phrase what she wanted to say. I was basically helping her prepare her cases, and to her, I worked cheap!