The Samui Gazzette

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

curious, if they've taken most of the staff from S.E. , how they will end up providing a better product?

anyway, good luck to them and i hope something worth reading evolves.

My thoughts exactly.....I'm available to do some journalistic work....absolutely no previous experience so better qualified than some on the new paper it would seem. ;)

Just curious, what kind of newspaper for the small English speaing expat community on tiny Samui do people expect? I never had a problem with SE probably because I have realistic expectations. Samui is too small, no money to be made from the paper, no money for good salaries. There's plenty of corruption but if they get a good investigative reporter and he'll end up dead.

Most of the English speakers aren't even native so their skills are lacking. And most of the rest probably never got very far in school so they don't notice. I'm not talking about the rocket scientists we have here on Thaivisa of course. ;)

Edited by koheesti

Just curious, what kind of newspaper for the small English speaing expat community on tiny Samui do people expect? I never had a problem with SE probably because I have realistic expectations. Samui is too small, no money to be made from the paper, no money for good salaries. There's plenty of corruption but if they get a good investigative reporter and he'll end up dead.

Most of the English speakers aren't even native so their skills are lacking. And most of the rest probably never got very far in school so they don't notice. I'm not talking about the rocket scientists we have here on Thaivisa of course. ;)

It is not unrealistic to expect an English language newspaper to have a decent grounding in the English language. I think that is a fair minimum expectation. It was'nt aweful but it should have been better.

It is not unrealistic to expect an English language newspaper to have a decent grounding in the English language. I think that is a fair minimum expectation. It was'nt aweful but it should have been better.

I wouldn't normally comment but you should get a refund from your private school....in addition to learning how to forge cheques and shoplift at least the comp I attended taught me how to spell. :o

I wouldn't normally comment but you should get a refund from your private school....in addition to learning how to forge cheques and shoplift at least the comp I attended taught me how to spell. :o

Please explain

Well if they've taken most of the Samui Express staff, we can expect the usual sloppy and inaccurate reporting. Actually, I wouldn't even call it reporting. They print, verbatin, press releases from the local government, BIB and businesses. They don't bother to check the facts or verify the accuarccy of anything. I remember, about 3 years ago, they printed a "report" that some high ranking BIB were down from BKK to liaise with the locals and coordinate improvements on policing and the elimination of corruption. All this lot from BKK did was visit evry bar and demand a one off cash payment to them for services yet to be rendered....

When I contacted the Samui Express to ask what muppet "wrote" the article and had he/she actually checked what the BKK BIB were doing, I was told they were too busy to check facts. Too busy?????????? How much news is there on Samui for f**ks sake.:angry: I stopped buying the newspaper after that and have not read it since!!!. There, rant over.:annoyed:

Please explain

Its an awful post. :D

Please explain

What an "awful" mistake...... but then again i'm neither a journalist nor an editor! :D :jap:

Koheesti I agree with you 100%. The Samui Express could certainly be improved, e.g. reduce the American articles which are of little interest, but like you I have realistic expectations.

I certainly prefer reading it to the crap English tabloids, but I'm not comparing. Furthermore if something has been mis-reported

it is usually put right in the next publication.

It's also informative. I much prefer reading it to the self-serving glossy mags full of luvvies which purport to be the islands pulse. Things would be dire if we only had these to rely on.

All in all I think it would be quite sad if we lost the SE. And I find it kind of strange that mentioning the Samui Express brings out the same irritable Thai Visa (mostly)members as those who are constantly slagging off Bangkok Airways. :)

Just curious, what kind of newspaper for the small English speaing expat community on tiny Samui do people expect?

i for one expect my local paper to keep me informed of any C level has been celebs that have visited and been bitten by a cat. i do wish however that they would follow up these articles with details on subsequent rabies shots rather than putting it all in one piece.

Koheesti I agree with you 100%. The Samui Express could certainly be improved, e.g. reduce the American articles which are of little interest, but like you I have realistic expectations.

I certainly prefer reading it to the crap English tabloids, but I'm not comparing. Furthermore if something has been mis-reported

It's also informative. I much prefer reading it to the self-serving glossy mags full of luvvies which purport to be the islands pulse. Things would be dire if we only had these to rely on.

All in all I think it would be quite sad if we lost the SE. And I find it kind of strange that mentioning the Samui Express brings out the same irritable Thai Visa (mostly)members as those who are constantly slagging off Bangkok Airways. :)

Gator, the fact that you have such low expectations of a newspaper, and are fine with getting ripped of paying BKK prices is fine with me, it's your business, but please don't have a pop at the rest of us for wanting a half decent read, as in, something not akin to the Beano comic. Likewise, if you are, as i know happy to be ripped off on your flights, thats fine by me, but don't have a pop at the vast majority who don't.

If you so readily accept mediocrity thats all you will ever get....................while you are getting ripped off. ;)

In a flash of enlightenment it occurred that the reason why another "new" -zines going to be in the shelves soon... might not be news, but money,don't know but this insight somehow did hit me hard, when reading through these post's...

Samui Welcome was already a contradiction in it self, if not an oxymoron, they never stop to try.

Both the Samui Express and Bangkok Airways are fine examples of entities that need a real slagging off.

I read it in Art Cafe the other day, seem a bit better presentated than Samui Express, a bit better written (at least some of the articles), but since Samui has no really interest news (at least that media know or are willing to report) its a pretty boring read, better watching paint dry..

Gator, the fact that you have such low expectations of a newspaper, and are fine with getting ripped of paying BKK prices is fine with me, it's your business, but please don't have a pop at the rest of us for wanting a half decent read, as in, something not akin to the Beano comic. Likewise, if you are, as i know happy to be ripped off on your flights, thats fine by me, but don't have a pop at the vast majority who don't.

If you so readily accept mediocrity thats all you will ever get....................while you are getting ripped off. ;)

I think that it's a little presumptuous to state that you are speaking for the vast majority! How do you know this?

I think that it's a little presumptuous to state that you are speaking for the vast majority! How do you know this?

Thats simple. By reading the posts on here and through years of listening to people on the island and feedback from tourists. ( Admittedly, i only hear the tourists complaining about it since the pound and euro dropped so heavily.)

I'm sure you know that you are in a small minority too. However you have a right to your opinion, thats what forums are for. I just wish the people that think it's fine to pay double would present an arguement that was'nt so feeble.

Back on topic, why is it asking so much to have a newspaper that checks out its fact prior to printing and at the same time retains a small degree of professionalism to atleast proof read?

Why is that asking so much?

A bimonthly newspaper simply can't have any news.

That's also a very good point.

I'll support poor Samui Express but not Bangkok Airways. The SE cost only 20 baht. I wasn't on a fixed income so that didn't eat into my Mekong budget. The plane prices are ridiculous.

I agree we could have done without the American articles in SE. I'm American, but all that stuff is online and probably long before it was printed in SE. Before the Internet, I would have welcomed them but it really isn't necessary anymore.

No matter what you think of SE, you gotta give them credit for printing letter critical of them. Like the three farang who got arrested for being involved in the real estate biz without work permits or something. For weeks they printed letters telling them what a bad job they did on that piece. Actually made it more interesting to read. On the other hand, they would print almost any letter. A bar owner friend of mine wrote a letter pretending to be a tourist who had recently visited and he talked up his bar and the hotel next to it and the letter got printed. :)

I'm thinking of doing my own newspaper.

It will consist of articles that have been cut/pasted from here.

Entertainment for everyone. News, gossip, (im)partial advice, puzzles (some posters comments), jokes (some intentional), loads of advertising and of course our very own editorial comment from Rooo.:D

Back on topic, why is it asking so much to have a newspaper that checks out its fact prior to printing and at the same time retains a small degree of professionalism to atleast proof read?

IT'S SAMUI. People should be enjoying life and not care so much if there are typos in the island newspaper. Ooooo, 20 baht once every 2 weeks. Learn to manage your expectations people and you'll be much happier in life.

I wonder if any of the people who expect too much from the little "paradise" island newspaper also lament the new hotels and Family Marts, etc? On one hand they want the island to remain unspoiled but on the other hand they expect the local bi-monthly rag to be higher quality.

I wish the Samui Gazette luck, but it's doubtful they'll be able to satisfy the island's highly critical editors-at-large. :)

Entertainment for everyone. News, gossip, (im)partial advice, puzzles (some posters comments), jokes (some intentional), loads of advertising and of course our very own editorial comment from Rooo.:D

You just might be onto something here.

Yeah while Rooo is busy with his scissors we can have some mischief here on the forum.........:whistling:

I dunno what you're all complaining about....Samui Express is simply a reflection of what's going on here.....lies bullshit and half truths.....:lol:

IT'S SAMUI. People should be enjoying life and not care so much if there are typos in the island newspaper. Ooooo, 20 baht once every 2 weeks. Learn to manage your expectations people and you'll be much happier in life.

I wonder if any of the people who expect too much from the little "paradise" island newspaper also lament the new hotels and Family Marts, etc? On one hand they want the island to remain unspoiled but on the other hand they expect the local bi-monthly rag to be higher quality.

I wish the Samui Gazette luck, but it's doubtful they'll be able to satisfy the island's highly critical editors-at-large. :)

WHAT! Have you been on the sauce this morning? :rolleyes:

No, but anyone who expects perfect proofreading from a tiny island newspaper probably has.

No, but anyone who expects perfect proofreading from a tiny island newspaper probably has.

No one said perfect, but improved would suffice.

Cheers

No one said perfect, but improved would suffice.

Cheers

Hey Carmine, when you next plunge into a pool and find you are sharing it with various forms of aquatic life :shock1:

just remember that it was the Samui Express who broke the story. :lol:

FYI, I have been told by the gazette publisher, that ex Express staff, were only there for 3 months.

In my opinion, getting back to having 2 newspapers on the island, might smarten things up a bit, competition might be the needed incentive.