Cycling Advocacy In Thailand

BBbUn

Thai's don't usually use bicycles unless they can't afford a motorbike. Some, but very few, use it for exercise. I see as many farang around Phuket biking as I do Thais, so that says something. Never heard of any bike advocacy events. I can assure you there aren't any bike naked days in Thailand.

Thai's don't usually use bicycles unless they can't afford a motorbike. Some, but very few, use it for exercise. I see as many farang around Phuket biking as I do Thais, so that says something. Never heard of any bike advocacy events. I can assure you there aren't any bike naked days in Thailand.

No bike naked days??

What on earth. I thought this was the land of liberated hormones.

Take a look at this link: http://bangkokbikehash.org/Links.html then check out some of those links. I was in Bangkok for a Critical Mass ride that I saw listed on the Thaimtb website. Also take a look at facebook. Before I quit I was on a listing for a couple Thai bicycle sites including one a University that had semi-frequent rides. I've ridden my bike around Thailand and have found that in all the provincial cites there is a group of riders, and they seem to gather up in the evening for rides. Look for the guys with the bicycle helmets, thats the key!

Chiang Mai has a great cycling culture. There are half a dozen good bike shops here. If you check out this link you'll see that there are many cycling advoocacy events here -- http://www.cmcycling.org/ There's also a Critical mass Ride the last Friday of every month. There are at least 4 large groups of Thais that go out every weekend in addition to the Tuesday/Thursday race training rides. I'm sure they know of other events too.

Glad I'm not in Phuket. There are plenty of Thais in CM who are buying bikes that cost double or triple what a new motorbike costs, and on a beautiful Sunday there might be hundreds of them out on their bikes for recreation.

Thanks for tips guys.

I joined the Sunday morning cycling group today, 8 am @ Thapae gate. Lots of cycling advocacy spirit there, planned a 62 km round trip ride to a Wat (can't remember which now, shamefully).

Lovely group! I will surely join them more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for tips guys.

I joined the Sunday morning cycling group today, 8 am @ Thapae gate. Lots of cycling advocacy spirit there, planned a 62 km round trip ride to a Wat (can't remember which now, shamefully).

Lovely group! I will surely join them more often.

If you are based up in Chiang Mai then please consider coming out on the morning of December 8th to ride with the 8th Annual Tour de Thailand Charity Bicycle Ride as we head to Chom Thong on our way to Phuket. Of course you are more than welcome to join as a full-fledged registered rider and take the vacation of a lifetime while seeing more of Thailand than you likely have before, but if you simply come out to show your support riders are welcome to ride with us all or part of any one day of our event for free and we usually have some promotional items that we get from sponsors to hand out to those that do join us along with complimentary water and electrolytes. The only catch is that we cannot provide transport back home so many will ride with us about half a day and then turn back. For more information please see tourdethailand.com and you can reach me by email if you have any more questions. Glad to see that you're looking for cycling events and especially advocacy. Cheers, Chris