Movie Remakes

Spee

Okay, the War of the Worlds thread got me started. What if any movie remakes have been as good as or better than the original?

"The Thomas Crown Affair" actually was a remake in name only. I liked both movies although the remake was heavily panned by the critics. Maybe the soundtrack in the newer one was better (Nina Simone, Sting's cover from the original movie soundtrack, Bill Conti, the piano tracks, etc.).

"The Planet of the Apes" remake wsan't too bad for action, and Tim Roth's ape lead was pretty good, but the whole plot line was still pretty predictable. This one was watchable, but there was only one good scene in the originals ("Take your hands off me you ###### dirty ape!")

"The Manchurian Candidate" was pretty good, and actually a bit spooky considering the technology out there today. (Why did Meryl Streep's character remind me of the ice queen Hillary?)

Lots of other remake turkeys out there though .... The Italian Job, Get Carter, and the list goes on.

It seems that finding a re-make that is better than its original is a hard thing to do these days. I recently saw Assault on Precinct 13, which was nowhere near the original (directed by James Carpenter) in terms of style, atmosphere, suspension of disbelief, and so on.

If you go back into the 70's then the remakes were often better. Scarface is one that stands out, but then the original was in black&white.

Personally, I am looking forward to a re-make of The Matrix when it comes out in 30 years' time :o

Edited by fw1

It seems that finding a re-make that is better than its original is a hard thing to do these days. I recently saw Assault on Precinct 13, which was nowhere near the original (directed by James Carpenter) in terms of style, atmosphere, suspension of disbelief, and so on.

If you go back into the 70's then the remakes were often better. Scarface is one that stands out, but then the original was in black&white.

Personally, I am looking forward to a re-make of The Matrix when it comes out in 30 years' time :o

Assault on precinct 13 was in itself a reworking of the classic John Ford western 'Rio Bravos'....Carpentor did a bloody good job though. Another Carpentor film which a lot of people thought was a remake is 'The Thing' This though actually carries on where the first one left off. I would say remakes that are better include 'The Fly' & The Bourne Identity' The most terrible remake has got to be ' Fail Safe' That was how to make a brilliant thriller into aload of garbage.

In addition to that, the recent Star Wars Films pale in comparison to the first trilogy; staccato acting, unconvincing characters, lack of drama, among other criticisms. Though Revenge of the Sith was better than ther previous two, it was still a long way off.

Did anyone see the remake of Get Carter?

Almost forgot ..... Ocean's Eleven

Same theme but quite different scripts. Found the remake mildly entertaining, if a bit predictable. Ocean's Twelve was so bad it didn't even rate a turkey, something more of a sick pigeon.

In addition to that, the recent Star Wars Films pale in comparison to the first trilogy.

They were not remakes, prequels or sequels do not qualify.

I thought the new DAWN OF THE DEAD was better, great film.

Is Batman Begins a remake? ...If it is then it must be the shortest gap between original and remake in history, and yes it's better than the first or any of the others in fact.

I look forward to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I agree Scampy. Loved the 'remake' of Dawn of the Dead . But don't tell Romero fans this they would have my head on a platter.

I see there is a Dukes of Hazzard movie coming out, not really a remake of a movie, but a series I saw Jessica Simpson's(the new Daisy) music video the other day...to my horror the doors on the General Lee are not welded..<deleted> is this all about? :o

I see there is a Dukes of Hazzard movie coming out, not really a remake of a movie, but a series  I saw Jessica Simpson's(the new Daisy) music video the other day...to my horror the doors on the General Lee are not welded..<deleted> is this all about? :o

I think the only way that remake gets more than 1/2-star is if she gets naked! :D

In addition to that, the recent Star Wars Films pale in comparison to the first trilogy.

They were not remakes, prequels or sequels do not qualify.

I thought the new DAWN OF THE DEAD was better, great film.

Is Batman Begins a remake? ...If it is then it must be the shortest gap between original and remake in history, and yes it's better than the first or any of the others in fact.

I look forward to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Did he think they were remakes?? Did he even see the original Star Wars Trilogy?? :o Batman Begins is not a remake it is a original story that will lead into another trilogy of batman movies, I saw it and I thought it was Fantastic. It actually follows the Batman Comics. The first one back in 1989 with jack nicholson as the joker was good but after that the Batman movies were just like the Old TV show in my opinion. But with of course better special effects

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I never saw the original, I recently seen a program and it was the 100 scariest movies and the original made the list? Was it a scary movie and this new remake is for the kids? I am looking forward to King Kong, I saw the trailer and it looked good have to wait and see though...

Also they are making a new superman movie that is supposed to be a story in between the Superman 2 and Superman 3 movies and it is supposed to show scenes of chris reeve in the new movie I wonder how this storyline will pan out. It is our feelings as moviewatchers to compare the new remakes to the originals and it is hard not to do so but if the remake turns out better than the original isn't that a good thing?? :D

post-14735-1120677768_thumb.jpg

Edited by DragonLad

What about Rocky?

One of the greatest movie series to come out and they only got better.

Rocky 4 my favourite.

Terminator 2 was my pretty good but they seemed to lose the plot in 3

Matrix Reloaded and Godfather 2 were also pretty good

Edited by BrissyBoy

What about Rocky?

Rocky 4 my favourite.

BrissyBoy The Movies your referring to are not remakes :o

Edited by DragonLad

What about Rocky?

Rocky 4 my favourite.

REMAKES... not sequals...!! :o

totster :D

REMAKES... not sequals...!!  :o

totster  :D

Sorry, misread it.

It's hard to say really as there are so many bad remake movies. Hollywood buys the rights to a good movie and then just botch the job totally trying to make a quick $$$. Planet of the apes is a good example of how not to do a remake. And i prefer the original Japanese Godzilla to the American version.

About the only decent one that comes to mind is Oceans Eleven and The Italian Job

REMAKES... not sequals...!!  :o

totster  :D

Sorry, misread it.

It's hard to say really as there are so many bad remake movies. Hollywood buys the rights to a good movie and then just botch the job totally trying to make a quick $$$. Planet of the apes is a good example of how not to do a remake. And i prefer the original Japanese Godzilla to the American version.

About the only decent one that comes to mind is Oceans Eleven and The Italian Job

The Italian Job was a good remake... but you will never replace the original, it's an institution, my favorite for sure

totster :D

The only horror film that has ever scared me was 'The Haunting'. The remake with Liam Neelson was crap because it used too many visual effects.

In the original you saw fukc all and had to use your imagination as to what was behind the bending door or in the corridors.

The remake of the Italian/French film "La Cage aux Folles" with Robin Williams, Gene Hackman and Nathen Lane - The Bircage(1996).

Armand: Shouldn't you be holding the crucifix? It is THE prop for martyrs!

Armand: Al, you old son of a bitch! How ya doin'? How do you feel about that call today? I mean the Dolphins! Fourth-and-three play on their 30 yard line with only 34 seconds to go!

Albert: How do you think I feel? Betrayed, bewildered... wrong response?

Celsius: Chewing gum helps me think.

Albert: Sweetie, you're wasting your gum!

Armand: You do an eclectic celebration of the dance! You do Fosse, Fosse, Fosse! You do Martha Graham, Martha Graham, Martha Graham! Or Twyla, Twyla, Twyla! Or Michael Kidde, Michael Kidde, Michael Kidde, Michael Kidde! Or Madonna, Madonna, Madonna!... but you keep it all inside.

Albert: You know, I used to feel that way too until I found out that Alexander the Great was a fag. Talk about gays in the military!

What the heck is "Charlie and the chocolate factory" I remember "Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory". Charlie was one of the kids that won the trip and then he won the factory.

Edited by Kringle

Flight of the Phoenix, not a great movie in itself but a bloody site better than the first attempt.

Thought the first one was great ... haven't seen the remake.

Also thought of "Alfie." Haven't seen the remake, but the original with Michael Caine was good (well .... if he is in it, doesn't it have to be good?).

Just remembered a couple of more films which were as good as the originals. And the originals were really good in my opinion.

Fast and the furious

Ring - Although this was a near virtual copy it lost nothing in the translation and was a great film in its own right

Just remembered a couple of more films which were as good as the originals.  And the originals were really good in my opinion.

Fast and the furious

Ring  -  Although this was a near virtual copy it lost nothing in the translation and was a great film in its own right

Fast and the Furious was a remake?? :o

Are you talking about "The Ring" ?? with Naomi Watts??

Edited by DragonLad

yes he`s talking about the ring with naomi watts...

Who the bloody hlel mentioned the italian job as a remake of the italian job....

As an action movie, it was alright...

It does not deserve to carry the title italian job though... give me a break.