140 Montevideo, Uruguay

141 Bangalore, India

142 Buenos Aires, Argentina

143 Manila, Philippines

144 Asunción, Paraguay

«back to top»

Full story can be found here:

Most expensive

I lived for a short period of time in #144 Asuncion, Paraguay and in #96 Lagos, Nigeria and there's something amiss with the stats.

Asuncion for me was much more expensive that Lagos although I'll take Paraguay any day over Nigeria!

I am in Tokyo.

There is certainly no doubt over the Number 1 position,

1 roomed apartment = 60,000 Baht + Utilities, Per Month. :o

Minimum price for a Taxi = 240 Baht. :D

Only cheap thing here is a fast Internet connection, Unlimited 100Mbps ADSL about 800 Baht per month. :D

Tokyo is expensive, but the quality is usually very very good. :D

Could Ho Chi Minh City really be more expensive than Honolulu?  I find that hard to believe.  How do the Vietnamese afford it then?

I guess it depend on the criteria they use to come up with the list. Probably based on visitors costs (hotel, fancy restaurants, taxi fares, etc).

Bangkok is a good example. You can easily live here on a few thousand baht, and there is no upper limit. Stay at the Oriental, eat at foreign restaurants, party at Spassos or Rivas, go shopping at the Emporium - the sky is the limit.

I agree, there is something amiss here.

Aberdeen in Scotland has the UK's highest rents, house prices, beer prices, apart from maybe central London. Where is it on the list? Why Glasgow? Everyone knows that Edinburgh is much more expensive in nearly all areas.

I looked at the article....amazing how you can understand things better if you look at the article. The list has some really bogus looking listings but if you look at the article it will make more sense....my advise....look at the article.

My advice is to ignore the article, it is wrong.

and measures costs including housing, food, clothing, transportation and entertainment.

OK, Glasgow is the 40th most expensive city in the world based on this.

Last time I was there, 60 pence for a bus ride(Aberdeen 1.20)

Taxis more expensive in Aberdeen, food and drink.

In fact everything that the survey says it is based on.

Aberdeen isn't even ranked in the top 150.

I looked at the article....amazing how you can understand things better if you look at the article.  The list has some really bogus looking listings but if you look at the article it will make more sense....my advise....look at the article.

Looked at the article... still seems a load of <deleted> to me... :D

totster :o

Only cheap thing here is a fast  Internet connection, Unlimited 100Mbps ADSL  about 800 Baht per month.   :D

Tokyo is expensive, but the quality is usually very very good.   :o

Do they have 100Mbps ADSL there already?? Isn't the highest speed for ADSL in Japan 40Mbps now? Maybe you're confused with FTTH (fiber optics)?

I paid B34,000 rent for 27m2 studio condo unit + B4,500 for car parking (without roof, and about 10 min walk from condo) when in Tokyo. And every once in two years the real estate agent asked for close to twice the amount of rent for '(rental agreement) renewal fee', by sending the exact same agreement I signed two years ago. Security deposit was something like 5 months the worth of rent, out of which 2 months worth amount was non-refundable (didn't get a penny refunded after renting the place for almost 6 years!).

Almost bought a condo in Tokyo. B30 million for 83m2 unit!!! (but instead bought much bigger and nicer condo for less than 1/3 that price in Bangkok). Two years ago I saw an advertisement of a condo in Tokyo for B250 million/unit (275m2, at premium location). For that amount you can buy the whole condo where I now live in BKK.

And taxi, yes... If you take a taxi to and from Narita airport to Tokyo city center it would cost as much as cheap off-season air fare between Bangkok - Tokyo. It costs B260 toll to get on city expressway where it is B40 in Bangkok. Once I paid B1,800 + round trip when I drove from western Tokyo to go pick up my wife visiting from BKK at Narita airport (round trip expressway tolls + airport parking but fuel not included). And the parking.... close to B200/hour in city center and most department stores in Tokyo, once I was almost going to end up paying more than B5,000 for parking 24hrs at a Tokyo hotel, as I forgot to ask for parking validation as a hoel guest at front desk when checking out. Domestic flight in Japan costs as much as international flight from Tokyo to anywhere in Asia. I remember once a few months after 9/11, the domestic flight in Japan was more expensive than Tokyo - NYC round trip air ticket.

Edited by Nordlys

i personally would have to disagree with NY being #13. it is possible to find a reasonably priced, fairly spacious place to stay on short notice in tokyo, while it is definitely not in NY. otherwise they are similar, except the prices of taxis are higher in tokyo. i still think overall NY is more expensive, but that's my experience.

i personally would have to disagree with NY being #13. it is possible to find a reasonably priced, fairly spacious place to stay on short notice in tokyo, while it is definitely not in NY. otherwise they are similar, except the prices of taxis are higher in tokyo. i still think overall NY is more expensive, but that's my experience.

Subway and buses are more expensive in Tokyo than NYC.

Maybe Manhattan is more expensive than Tokyo, while perhaps the rest of NYC is not?

BTW I wonder if there's any place where a can of soda can cost more than B45 (Japan)?

Edited by Nordlys

the ranking is done by Mercer, one of the larger human resource consulting groups around. these stats (together with others) are used to work out the relative cost of living in different countries so that they have a basis for advising corporate clients on how much allowances to pay their expatriates in order to sustain a modern western lifestyle in the target country of posting.

the stats are probably derived from the cost of buying a common basket of goods and services in each of the countries. i would imagine the basket of goods and services would comprise typical items required to sustain said modern western lifestyle, irregardless of the specific taxes or duties in the respective countries, and irregardless of cheaper and more readily available local alternatives. i think this accounts for the surprising ranking results for some countries.

Didn't realise London was so expensive...  :o

How is it worked out.. (sorry haven't read the link yet)..?

totster  :D

Polls like these are formed by comparing the prices of approximately 10 globally found and commonly purchased goods, such as coke, hamburgers, stamps, basic items of clothing, and various others (sorry can't remember them all off the top of my head). It's not meant to be a comprehensive index and is meant to be nothing more than a guide.

Suspect the reason why many in this thread and people generally pay little attention to it is due to the fact that it is not comprehensive in any way whatsoever.

When it appeared in that joke of a newspaper The Bangkok Post last year, the capital of Ghana made it into the top ten.

I'd agree with thedude and fw1 that its purely based on certain products or amenities regardless of competing brands / taxes etc.

Having lived in both Tokyo and London on a similar salary I had much more disposable income in Tokyo after paying low taxes (think about 10%) and enjoyed a higher standard of living too, eating out / drinking more reguarly etc.

Don't think you can pay too much attention to these surveys...