Pvc Conduit

Artisi

Does anyone have or can you point me in the right direction to get the actual OD dimension of Thai PVC electric conduit - domestic sizes 20 - 30 mm -- I want to compare it to Aussie sizes for junction boxes, elbows etc -- thanks

Edited by Artisi

Not sure what you mean about "Thai PVC electrical conduit" ? But, the normal yellow PVC for electric that you can find just about anywhere starts at about 5/8" OD and goes up from there. These are about 4m length. Suggest you go to your local Home Pro, Global, or any "electric" place to see what they have and bring along whatever it is you need to fit up. and check it out.

A 5/8 OD coverted to metric (0.625 x 1") equals 15.875mm.

Unfortunately for some, Thailand is largely Metric. As such, Imperial dimensions are few & far between (I hope).

The normal 'smaller' Aussie sizes are (ID);

1] 16mm.

2] 20mm.

3] 32mm.

4] 40mm.

I will check the OD of some conduit tomorrow.

Have found the dimensions for the Yellow PVC electric conduit outside diameter if anyone else is interested

1/2" 18MM

3/4" 26

1" 34

1 1/4" 42

1 1/2" 48

Edited by Artisi

To the OP if your thanking of bringing in proper electrical fittings from AUS then I would suggest that you bring in some proper PVC conduit also. This crap her would not pass for water pipe let alone electrical in the west.

To the OP if your thanking of bringing in proper electrical fittings from AUS then I would suggest that you bring in some proper PVC conduit also. This crap her would not pass for water pipe let alone electrical in the west.

Hmm - so you're saying this is a case (in Thailand) where PVC is not really? Why do you say that?

SCG (aka Elephant Pipe I think) has a pretty clean and solid looking PVC system. I haven't gotten an actual catalog or cut sheets yet but the pipe I saw (at the "SCG Experience" at CDC) was labeled "uPCV NPI High Impact White".

After seeing it in person we are considering using it in an exposed application for our house (the quote for steel conduit made me soil my pants).

From discussions today & also by taking some measurements, Thai electrical conduit is Imperial & is therefore not compatible with Metric products (e.g. Clipsal).

The Standard for Thai electrical conduit is TIS 216-2524.

One may be able to obtain adaptors from Imperial/US to Metric. There is also the PG range (Europe) adaptors are available for metric to PG and PG to metric. Electrical conduit is measured by external diameter, water pipe by internal diameter.

Edited by electau

From discussions today & also by taking some measurements, Thai electrical conduit is Imperial & is therefore not compatible with Metric products (e.g. Clipsal).

The Standard for Thai electrical conduit is TIS 216-2524.

One may be able to obtain adaptors from Imperial/US to Metric. There is also the PG range (Europe) adaptors are available for metric to PG and PG to metric. Electrical conduit is measured by external diameter, water pipe by internal diameter.

Actually, so called "water pipe" is sized as a nominal ID, ie, 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" 1" etc but these sizes bear no resemblance to the actual ID - the pipe is manufactured and toleranced on its OD, the OD is important in terms of maintaining a known diameter so that it can be threaded (externally) and in the larger sizes have slip on flanges fitted and welded.

Edited by Artisi