Please Help Me With My Homework

withnail

My teacher/friend set me a homework assignment which was to make some sentences using อาจจะ and คง and I've been trying to come up with some today at work/school with the help of the Thai teachers. This is what I've come up with so far.

ผมอาจจะไปพัทยา

pŏm àat jà bpai pát-tá-yaa

I might go to Pattaya

ผมคงไปพัทยา

pŏm kong bpai pát-tá-yaa

I'll probably go to Pattaya

Also I was trying to say "I might not drink beer this Friday but probably I'll drink quite a lot" and I came up with this.

ผมอาจจะไม่ดื่มเบียร์ตอนวันศุกร์นี้แต่ผมคงดื่มเยอะ

pŏm àat jà mâi dèum bia dton wan sòok née dtàe pŏm kong dèum yé

Which the Thai teachers changed to

ผมอาจจะไม่ดื่มเบียร์ตอนวันศุกร์นี้หรือผมอาจจะดื่มเยอะก็ได้

pŏm àat jà mâi dèum bia dton wan sòok née rĕu pŏm àat jà dèum yé gôr dâai

Please someone correct any (all of the) spelling errors and tell me if my understanding of the two words is correct.

Thanks

just noticed the topic title says ค and not คง don't know what happened there :o

Edited by withnail

There is no spelling error on your sentences.

Your understanding of the two words is correct.

Now, let's see the latter two sentences.

"I might not drink beer this Friday but probably I'll drink quite a lot"

ผมอาจจะไม่ดื่มเบียร์ตอนวันศุกร์นี้แต่ผมคงดื่มเยอะ - The first part is correct and the second part doesn't sound incorrect. Only add a few words in it will make it sounds better.

' ผมอาจจะไม่ดื่มเบียร์ตอนวันศุกร์นี้ แต่ก็เป็นไปได้ว่าผมคงจะดื่มเยอะซะมากกว่า '

ผมอาจจะไม่ดื่มเบียร์ตอนวันศุกร์นี้หรือผมอาจจะดื่มเยอะก็ได้ - I might not drink beer this Friday or I might drink a lot. If you mean to say as this so it's correct.

Thanks yoot, I was hoping you'd reply. I was meaning to say that I might not go out and drink this friday i.e. I'm still considering it but the chances are that I will go out and drink a lot (as usual).

Can you break down your second example a bit and explain it please.

ผมอาจจะไม่ดื่มเบียร์ตอนวันศุกร์นี้ แต่ก็เป็นไปได้ว่าผมคงจะดื่มเยอะซะมากกว่า

pŏm àat jà mâi dèum bia dton wan sòok née dtàe gôr bpen bpai dâai wâa pŏm kong jà dèum yé sá mâak gwàa

Also with the second example

would you say that this suggests it is more likely i will go out and drink a lot?

Cheers

Withnail

Edited by withnail

It means you might not drink beer or drink a lot this Friday. ( you are not sure, it's 50:50)

ผมอาจจะไม่ดื่มเบียร์ตอนวันศุกร์นี้ แต่ก็เป็นไปได้ว่าผมคงจะดื่มเยอะซะมากกว่า

I might not drink beer this Friday but เป็นไปได้ว่า (probably) ผมคงจะ (I would) ดื่มเยอะ (drink a lot) ซะมากกว่า ( the chance you will drink much more than not drink)

Edited by yoot

Thanks Yoot

Although I'm now a bit confused as you say ผมคงจะ (I would)

as to the difference in meaning between อาจจะ and คง I thought that อาจจะ was about 50:50 and คงจะ more likely, say 70:30?

Thanks Yoot

Although I'm now a bit confused as you say ผมคงจะ (I would)

as to the difference in meaning between อาจจะ and คง I thought that อาจจะ was about 50:50 and คงจะ more likely, say 70:30?

Sorry! :o

I'm not know which word I should use for 'ผมคงจะ'.

It's like 'I think I would go out' - ผมคิดว่าผมคงจะออกไป (It's just a thought not sure yet. But you probably go out)

When Thais said อาจจะ , it's was about 50:50 and คงจะ more likely 60:40 , 70:30 , 80:20 , 90:10 whatever. :D

probably - คง , เป็นไปได้มากที่, น่าจะเป็น, โอกาสที่น่าจะเป็นไปได้

probably - คง , เป็นไปได้มากที่, น่าจะเป็น, โอกาสที่น่าจะเป็นไปได้

Now you've lost me :o

Can't talk now anyway I'm going out

ผมจะดื่มเบียร์เยอะแน่นอน

:D

My teacher/friend set me a homework assignment which was to make some sentences using อาจจะ and คง and I've been trying to come up with some today at work/school with the help of the Thai teachers. This is what I've come up with so far.

ผมอาจจะไปพัทยา 

pŏm àat jà bpai pát-tá-yaa

I might go to Pattaya

The way I learned it, aad ja is more like 'may' than 'might' ('may' in the case of probability indicating a slightly stronger probability than 'might'. [not 'may' as in 'sombody has granted me permission to go to Pattaya - although that may also be the case if your girlfriend is staying behind.] :o). Although, if you say 'aad ja pai gor dai', I think the likelihood level is decreased by 'gor dai'.

As for 'khong ja' I would put it at 70-30, and 'naa ja' at 70-30 or 80-20. But individual usage is not always as clear-cut as this. People tend to have their favourite modals that they use irrespective of the actual likelihood. Also, 'greeng jai' also plays into this in some situations:

With some of my Thai friends, 'aad ja pai (gor dai)' actually means 'I will not go, but I still tell you I will maybe go - because I don't want to make you disappointed right now.' :D