Cambodian PM Warns Thai Border Spat May Bring Bloodshed

webfact

I you're not ready to spend billions of dollars, tens of thousand of lives, ruin your economy, trade, and tourism over some stinking piece of mud with no value whatsoever, then *please* just drop the matter and let it die.

Do you think any western nation would just let it die if a neighboring country claimed a few of their acres?

If you let that happen then you would have to be prepared to concede more in the future.

it's strange that this event just goes out now no?

This is not about land and temple, you should know that. PAD and NPP just want to raise nationalism for elections. More than one time in the History, International Court ruled borders and will certainly do it again

Thailand should much more worry about the internal divisions which will sonner or later explode if nothing clever is done.

Abhisit is just a toy and his presence during rally of PAD was a sooooo bad move ! Bangkok is still under emergency decree no? So the rallies are forbidden and he took part of it. So i know some of you will say that PAD did not made any trouble but if you want to reconciliate people you have to apply the same rules exactly. the law is the law

The sad thing is they are not even aware that Thailand, or even Siam did not exist when this temple was built. In fact, none of the Siamese empires of Sukhothai, Ayutthaya or Thonburi existed until several centuries later.

Very true, but would you believe there are some Thai who actually believe that it was built by Thai? I kid you not, there really are.

The Thais didn't build it. The Cambodians didn't build it. The Khmers built it. They Khmers once ruled most of Thailand and also parts of Malaysia and Vietnam. But they don't now. So, which point in time do you want to use to rule on the regions boundaries?

Given that a lot of the Thais in the area are of Khmer ancestry, it is quite possible it was built by their ancestors. So that would make it as much Thai as Cambodian.

whybother....you're missing my point. There are Thai who truly believe that Thai, NOT Khmer ancestors, but "True Thai", whatever the hel_l that is. When I try to talk to them about the Khmer Empire, all I get are blank stares in return, as they have absolute NO idea of what I'm talking about.

I you're not ready to spend billions of dollars, tens of thousand of lives, ruin your economy, trade, and tourism over some stinking piece of mud with no value whatsoever, then *please* just drop the matter and let it die.

Do you think any western nation would just let it die if a neighboring country claimed a few of their acres?

If you let that happen then you would have to be prepared to concede more in the future.

This is not about land and temple, you should know that. PAD and NPP just want to raise nationalism for elections. More than one time in the History, International Court ruled borders and will certainly do it again

Thailand should much more worry about the internal divisions which will sonner or later explode if nothing clever is done.

Abhisit is just a toy and his presence during rally of PAD was a sooooo bad move ! Bangkok is still under emergency decree no? So the rallies are forbidden and he took part of it. So i know some of you will say that PAD did not made any trouble but if you want to reconciliate people you have to apply the same rules exactly. the law is the law

It's not strange this story goes out now, unless you like to believe in government conspiracy theories. Some-one wondering if the timing of the court case against Democrats was strange to happen now. Same answer. he Preah viheah temple issue has been brewing for a while and with the recent UN gathering has come to the current nationalistic level. Any more said would be waste of time I think.

It's not strange this story goes out now, unless you like to believe in government conspiracy theories. Some-one wondering if the timing of the court case against Democrats was strange to happen now. Same answer. he Preah viheah temple issue has been brewing for a while and with the recent UN gathering has come to the current nationalistic level. Any more said would be waste of time I think.

Yeah sure, nothing to do with internal politics.... i think you should more think about government as a chess plate than a cook plate. It's not about conspiracy, no need of government conspiracy, it's an open book

Yeah sure, nothing to do with internal politics.... i think you should more think about government as a chess plate than a cook plate. It's not about conspiracy, no need of government conspiracy, it's an open book

If it's an open book to you, why is it strange to go out now?

I may be simplistic but why can't the temple be run as a joint Thai/Cambodian venture. It could be developed into a very lucrative tourist trap.....er....attraction.

"a joint Thai/Cambodian venture"? Thaksin FM tried that. He was later dismissed. Good luck Kasit (Mark FM & PAD supporter) to claim it 100% Thai.

Tensions between the two nations over the disputed border have flared up following protests in Bangkok by the royalist "Yellow Shirt" movement over the issue.

Nice to see that the red shirts are exonerated from this one and it is the Yellows causing the problems. Thailand just has to understand that the area is recognised internationally as Cambodia. If Thailand does not accept this and starts bloodshed then they will be condemed by the International community. Mr Ashbit needs his bottom slapped, sent to his room and no politics for a week.

The sad thing is they are not even aware that Thailand, or even Siam did not exist when this temple was built. In fact, none of the Siamese empires of Sukhothai, Ayutthaya or Thonburi existed until several centuries later.

All, I might add, greatly Khmer influenced as well. Linguistics, customs, cuisine, architecture, dress, arts and letters, etc. Thai humility is never apparent.

Tensions between the two nations over the disputed border have flared up following protests in Bangkok by the royalist "Yellow Shirt" movement over the issue.

Nice to see that the red shirts are exonerated from this one and it is the Yellows causing the problems. Thailand just has to understand that the area is recognised internationally as Cambodia. If Thailand does not accept this and starts bloodshed then they will be condemed by the International community. Mr Ashbit needs his bottom slapped, sent to his room and no politics for a week.

Actually there has been no ruling on the disputed land. The ruling was on the main temple building and the land directly under it not on the surrounding stuff. For those unaware there are hundreds if not thousands of these kind of disputes world wide and lots of blood spilt over them. There are even dispuites within the current EU bloc. No government of any persuasion gives up these things lightly as nationalism in every country is a powerful poltical driving force and in Cambodia and Thailand for different poltical reasons it is extremely powerful right now. Behind all the psoturing there will also be "unofficial" contact on the matter but neither side can be seen to "lose"

Hammered Posted

Actually there has been no ruling on the disputed land. The ruling was on the main temple building and the land directly under it not on the surrounding stuff. For those unaware there are hundreds if not thousands of these kind of disputes world wide and lots of blood spilt over them. There are even dispuites within the current EU bloc. No government of any persuasion gives up these things lightly as nationalism in every country is a powerful poltical driving force and in Cambodia and Thailand for different poltical reasons it is extremely powerful right now. Behind all the psoturing there will also be "unofficial" contact on the matter but neither side can be seen to "lose"

And the "main Temple" building ruling in 1962 was not disputed by anyone until PAD and the Yellows drummed it up as a cheap nationalistic gimmick issue to attack Thaksin. Fine and good, but if a war or riots break out because of this we should put the guilt smack dab with those who deserve it - PAD, The Yellow Shirts, and those that used them for their political ends - Abhisit and the Democratic Party - guess we should add helpers ... like The Nation.

Once you set a ball rolling who knows where it will end up - or - events are in the saddle and ride mankind.

In addition, the disputed land was to be ceded to Thailand by Cambodia if Thailand accepted the UNESCO decision to make the temple a Cambodian World Heritage site.

Thailand initially agreed under the Samak adminstration but the PAD refused thus the agreement was not honoured and the land remains disputed.

The PAD and the Democrats want both the temple and the land.

You of course ignore the fact that Noppadom had no legal right to sign the agreement on his own,

and resigned in consequence. The Samak cabinet did the same, but was gone before it was a real issue.

That combined set of stupid moves, is what put the whole thing on PAD's radar

and it hasn't sunk into the mud since.

PAD want's no loss of nationalist face, and their own face, since they are now stuck with the argument since Samak.

Face loss means they can't put the argument to bed, even if many want to, since it is now part of a PAD segments platform

Democrats don't want to open war on a 2nd front with PAD, and lose control of the whole shooting match to

the utterly inept and totally corrupt 3rd string TRT. Who would run the country into the ground in short order.

Democrats don't want to open war on a 2nd front with PAD, and lose control of the whole shooting match to

the utterly inept and totally corrupt 3rd string TRT. Who would run the country into the ground in short order.

'Inept and totally corrupt' is a redundant phrase to apply to any thai goverment - Democrats included.

Australia is an Island and does not border with another country so we don't have these problems. The Japanese do think they own Queensland's Gold Coast tho.