Bangkok Governor Orders Tightened Security

george

Bangkok governor orders tightened security in the capital

Be prepaired to show ID/Passport

BANGKOK: -- The authorities will beef up security measures with extra patrols and surveillance for the mass transit system and other public places in the city of Bangkok, said the Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayothin.

Speaking after his talks with Deputy Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Pol. Maj. Gen. Dusitsan Therapat, the governor disclosed that the police and the private companies running the mass transit system in the capital would jointly work to tighten security in skytrains, subways, and city buses.

Officials will also step up security in the public places in particular at the parking lots in public parks and department stores. Additional patrols will be conducted to check every corner including trash bins.

Mr. Apirak suggested that people should carry their identity cards in case they are asked to show them to the police. Everyone should report to police if they notice any irregularity.

Although, there is no report of any threat in Bangkok, all necessary safety measures will be put in place, the governor said.

More closed circuit cameras will be installed in public places in the future, he added.

--TNA 2005-07-08

There have long been police checks at the Sky Trainn.. Many Middle Easter people carrying bags or looked over stuffed gove a look see. Had a laugh as I as a couple Rabs get pinched as they were having their big bags inspected seems here were some starange bundles of something that looked green and plant like.OPPPPPs.

Silly people - maybe you don't remember the last crackdown on the supposed eastern european mafia. (1992 - I guess), when Bangkok's finest took it as an excuse to extort money from anybody that didn't have their passport to hand.

I am from London and appreciate any anti terorism activities that are genuine as an attack here is surely on the cards but the Thais are not serious, just check the guys at the Marriot using a broken mirror to see under cars following the Jakarta bomb.

There was no more survailed transit system in the world than the one in London.

They have been working that angle to combat possible IRA attacks long before Osama was born. You can surrender every sense of personal freedom and privacy and it is not going to protect you from a handful of fanatics who will only sidestep every attempt to thwart them. Take a look at Israel if you want to see how even aggressive deterence works-not very well ,unless you couple it with an effective military/political approach to the threat.

The UK and the USA decided that it was better to chase down "those Folks" (as bush likes to refer to them) in Iraq rather than go after them in Afghanistan/Pakistan. Now the terrorists we've given them their own little Disney World of Terror in Iraq to practice and refine their killing techniques. When they were living in camps in Afghanistan they only got to kill dogs. They hatched 9/11 after years of planning, but they were on the run when the Afghan invasion chased them into the mountains. They decided not to follow them but to begin to plan their bogus war on the WMDs. Now the USA chases them with 4 man Navy Seal teams while nearly 200,000 troops from the USA, UK, and few other nations provide virtually helpless targets for car bombs and mortar shells.

You can make everyone ride the subway naked and all that will happen is that they'll be car bombs on the streets, shopping malls or schools. There is no simple approach to this situation but what is being done now is just plain wrong and it is only making matters worse.

Lay on a level orange, make it red or crimson it isn't going to make you any safer only more uncomfortable , unless you look really hot naked and ride the subway/skytrain

a lot. :o

Silly people - maybe you don't remember the last crackdown on the supposed eastern european mafia. (1992 - I guess), when Bangkok's finest took it as an excuse to extort money from anybody that didn't have their passport to hand.

I am from London and appreciate any anti terorism activities that are genuine as an attack here is surely on the cards but the Thais are not serious, just check the guys at the Marriot using a broken mirror to see under cars following the Jakarta bomb.

JohnRichard, you are 100% right there is no more porpus a system than the London Underground, which as you rightly say is in the most CCTV'd city in the world - What happened there is a terrible tragedy and will only serve to fan the flames of anti islam sentiment - Is that the desired effect? The Israli foreign minister has just been on CNN saying that we cannot appease these radical muslims as it is our very existence that offends them! No prizes for guessing what he thinks we should do to the muslims, although I am sure even he would avoid using the term "final solution".

I dispair of all this because I have seen it in so many countries now, one thing I am sure of is a "crackdoen" by the boys in brown will do little to help us here in Bangkok.

Guest fj2003

!!!my feelings and condolence to all victims and deaths and their families!!!

but i think this could only happen because the G8 have been in England and Blair as best friend of Bush went together to war around the world not only ME

it was the ultimativ western technoligy power they used to crack down these primitive terroists but the war is not over just the battlefield has changed and now these politician get the revenge

we all have to take care but it will happen only where the effect is really big and LOS is not in the shooting area here is a different battlefield - the south and here are different arguments and ways how to deal that

but the western world is the target not a place where maybe 50 farangs mix up with 1000 thais.

so i am happy to be here and even as i have to carry my passport where ever i go

so what i have always a copy of it in my wallet in case i forget the passport self

no bucks for the brownies

I see no mention in the TNA report of reporting unattended backpacks, small bags or shopping bags.

In LDN, loudspeakers remind the public to report any unattended items.

Signs are everywhere, same-same.

Where are they in BKK? :o

First bad experience

Yesterday, at 7pm I went out of my apartment to buy some water in a supermarket, which is about 200 meter from my condo. About 50 meter from my home, two young guys with a motorcycle, dressed very casually, blocked my way and said heeeeeeeelo - I thought they tried to sell me something so I ignored them and tried to pass, without hiding that they bother me.

This made one of them very angry, he shouted "police, police, stop" and showed me his badge. Well, I really do carry my passport normally, but to go buy water, I don't. A mistake, in contemporary LOFS (land of fake smiles).

Long discussions started, as unfortunately, it turned out that my passport was with my office in HH where our head office is, to get my work permit extended. The guys, rather impolite, did not allow me to get the copies of my passport, a battery for my nearly empty phone, or anything else.

So off we went to the police station, on the motorbike and with no helmets, where they informed me that I'd go to jail if failing to produce the passport now. In the meantime, I had gathered loads of people, lawyer, accountant, gf of course, etc. to try and explain them that we have a head office outside Bkk. Nothing helped. In the meantime, the GM of the Bangkok office headed south to HH as that office didn't pick up the phone anymore, at 8pm.

Finally, we did reach somebody in HH, and the person had the great idea to go see a (highly ranked) officer in HH who called Bkk to say that he has the passports in his hands an that everything is ok - which put an end to my Friday night adventure.

Now, for all of those super-smart folks, who tell me know that I'm always supposed to carry my passport - I know that. But I also know that I need a valid work permit, and that in every Company I worked in, we made copies and sent the original passport with the lawyer in order to save time.

One last thing - I'll remember long time how upset the two were by the fact that I had only 25 baht on me – well, for two bottles of water. They must have angrily repeated that about 50 times. I wonder why... do I?

sorry to see you got taken in,

is the answer

#1  carry your passport

#2  carry more than 25 baht

if #2  how much would be enough to make the cops happy ?

1000 baht, 2000 baht ????

It was just an unfortunate incident for Khun Falux where two passing (propbably off-duty) policemen thought they had an opportunity to extract a little "mia noi" money from a farang, who under normal circumstances should have been able to afford it.

Normally in such a situation, 200 baht should have seen them on their way, but I suspect that they had a "face issue" with his attempts at ignoring them, so it was inevitable that he ended up at the station.

The probability is that those two young coppers have done themselves a lot of no good. If it is thought by higher and better officers that they were trying a scam and have besmirched the reputation of the Force, their 'cards may well be marked'. But it will all be done quietly.

In cases like this, taking it easy and getting to the attention of higher officers is the best tactic.

Security beefs up at foreign embassies

BANGKOK: -- Security at foreign embassies particularly the British embassy have been beefed up after series of explosions rocked London’s transport system on Thursday morning.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinwatra said he has security beefed up and held closely contact with Thai embassy in London and British government.

The security measures were stepping up to protect the foreign embassies in Bangkok.

Thai Foreign Ministry and its embassy in London have been ordered to take care of Thai nationals in the United Kingdom and to coordinate with the Thai Airways International to add more flights in order to fly back Thais who want to return home.

There was no Thai citizen among the casualties, he said.

Khun Ying Potjaman, the Prime Minister’s wife, and Phinthongta, their daughter, were also in London to contact the universities. Phinthongta was planning to further her study in England. They were about to fly back to Bangkok.

Four blasts ripped through London during rush hours Thursday morning, killing at least 37 people and injuring more than 700.

“Public should inform the authorities immediately if they find any irregularities,” he said.

Thaksin said he believed the terrorist attacks in the London would not have any affect towards the country’s economy.

Meanwhile, Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayothin has cancelled his scheduled trip to London.

Apirak was planning to fly to London on Thursday’s night to attend the 39th International Children Games in Coventry, being held during July 6th-10th.

Bangkok will be the next host of the international event in 2006.

The Governor has decided to cancel the trip because he did not want to add burden to the Embassy as its staffs would be very busy coordinating citizens in Thailand who wanted to contact their relatives in England after the attacks, his secretary said.

Deputy governor, Mr. Wanlop Suwandee would receive the International Children Games’ flag on behalf of the Governor.

--TNA 2005-07-08

BOMBING REACTION: Bangkok security to be beefed up

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Governor Apirak moves quickly to guard BTS Skytrain and underground mass transit systems.Bangkok authorities and police yesterday agreed on a wide range of measures aimed at boosting security in the capital in the wake of the bombings in London that left dozens of commuters dead and seriously injured.

Security will be stepped up for public transport, such as the subway and the BTS Skytrain, as well as major landmarks and popular public places like shopping malls, said Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin.

He was speaking after a meeting yesterday morning at City Hall with Maj-General Viroj Jantarangsi, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.

Other measures include stricter examination of garbage bins, public toilets and suspicious vehicles, the governor said. He added that visitors to important public places might be asked to display their identification cards.

Authorities will make use of 68 security cameras installed at several locations throughout the city, which currently are used to monitor traffic on major roads, Apirak said.

Apirak also urged members of the public to report any suspicious incidents by dialling 199 or 191.

The governor in the afternoon inspected the Mo Chit and Siam BTS stations. He said security officials and police would focus on six “high-risk” stations – Asoke, Sala Daeng and Mo Chit, which have links to the subway; and Siam, Phrom Phong and Ploenchit, which are located near the British and American embassies.

In a related development, the national police chief, General Kowit Wattana, yesterday called a meeting of senior police officers at the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

He said after the meeting that security would be stepped up at the British Embassy, subway stations, government offices, bus terminals, shopping malls and major tourist attractions.

Kowit said police had not detected any suspicious movement so far. He added that police informants had been instructed to intensify their intelligence gathering in Bangkok’s Muslim communities.

The British national flag was flown at half-mast yesterday at the embassy in memory of those killed in Thursday’s attacks.

Many people placed bouquets of flowers and messages of condolences outside the embassy.

The British ambassador, Andy Pearce, welcomed a group of senior police officers led by Metropolitan Police chief Lt-General Pansiri Praphawat, who came to the embassy to discuss security.

The UK envoy thanked Thai authorities for their attention and concern.

--The Nation 2005-07-09

Long discussions started, as unfortunately, it turned out that my passport was with my office in HH where our head office is, to get my work permit extended. The guys, rather impolite, did not allow me to get the copies of my passport, a battery for my nearly empty phone, or anything else.

So off we went to the police station, on the motorbike and with no helmets, where they informed me that I'd go to jail if failing to produce the passport now.

Which area was this and which police station? I've been caught for not having my passport on me before, but it only cost me 60 baht. Now I always carry my wallet and a photocopy of the passport with me - even to 7/11 - but it just isn't practical or safe to carry one's passport day and night.

"Apirak also urged members of the public to report any suspicious incidents by dialling 199 or 191."

The breakthroughs in investigations very, very often come from such 'tip offs'. But, also, awareness that neighbours are watching inhibits conspiracies from getting going.

Very annoying for the merely naughty, but we have to accept "Moderation In All Things"---even civil liberties.

Some advice for living longterm in Thailand:

1. Don't break the law, abide by it as much as you possibly can, remember that you are a guest here.

2. If you do have problems like these, again, remember that you are a guest here. If you have a legit visa or even a workpermit, there are a large amount of people who wants you here. Be respectful, orderly, courteous and well behaved even with people who try to take advantage. But don't just play by the corrupt Police rules, you - and others - will only suffer more in the long run. Calling in on contacts is a good start, while still about just as corrupt. If you dont have any contacts, start making some.

Forexample go to a Thai temple for a couple of weeks if you can, gain some wisdome and make some new friends.

3. Do make an effort to learn how to speak Thai properly. It will make most of these problems go away. You will be less frustrated because you will understand more. And - hopefully - you will realize how many times you should have apologized instead of getting upset or even outraged.

You will recieve respect if you deserve respect.

It's really simple!

Why not have a curfew from 6pm until 6am.

Passport numbers can be tattooed on the wrist for easier identification.

Much simpler!!

Yeah, and all foreigners must wear a guava armband.

:o