How Thaksin's Seized Bt46 Billion Should Be Spent

webfact

Why don't they use the money to fulfill all of Thaksin's broken promises about helping the rural poor?

That would be nice, but the present government is even less likely to do anything to help the rural poor than Thaksin did. At least Thaksin began the 30 baht insurance scheme which the present government has wisely decided to keep but they have done nothing else of any significance to help the poor. Face it, the elites despise the poor and want to keep the class structure alive. Meanwhile rampant corruption in the police and traditional bureaucracy continue unabated today.

By the way, the majority of the allegations of Thaksin's financial corruption stem from his sale of Shin Corp's telecommunications divisions to Singapore's Temasek without paying enough taxes on the profits. He owned the company before he became PM and the taxes were avoided by routing the sale through offshore banks, a practice common in western countries.

This question poses a real problem for the Abhisit government. He and the democrat party face an uncertain future.If they manage to cling on to power until the next election, they are likely to lose it. What will the new government do? They will give all the money back plus interest.

In the short-term, the government should invest the money and spend only the interest on projects that are of genuine benefit to the majority of the country. However, this is Thailand.

Oh for fv<k sake. I am neither a revisionist or an apologist.

People can only go on what they read:

By the way, the majority of the allegations of Thaksin's financial corruption stem from his sale of Shin Corp's telecommunications divisions to Singapore's Temasek without paying enough taxes on the profits. He owned the company before he became PM and the taxes were avoided by routing the sale through offshore banks, a practice common in western countries.

It is not at all obvious that this was the majority of Shinywhatra wealth if you think of it as his 'Front Business'.

How can he have so much cash still off shore, if we see all his eggs as just in Shin Corp?

This is the tip of his iceberg.

I think paying off the national deficit benefits all Thais too.

Thaksin's PPP ignored the world financial crisis completely, thus making it worse when it finally hit Thailand.

Korn and Abhisit are right in paying down the debt level. Rather than strictly using it as sops for the masses.

And can make it easier with the long term goal of restructuring the education establishment and systems dysfunctions.

Edited by animatic

Oh for fv<k sake. I am neither a revisionist or an apologist.

People can only go on what they read:

I already admitted my mistake on the details of the court judgement:

Zphodbeeblebrox pointed out my mistake that only part of the court settlement involved tax evasion and I accept his critique.

What do you want? An apology? Why... that would make me an......an apologist! :shock1:

If the money was handed to all Pheu Thai supporters than I think many of them would switch their allegiance from Thaksin, the UDD and Pheu Thai and become followers of Abhisit and the Democrats.

Would most of the population vote for (and even get fanatical about) whoever gives them the most cash?

Thailand should make a bid for Liverpool FC, which is what Thaksin wanted his countryfolk to do while he was PM, remember?

.....ok, just kidding (about a way to spend the money) - but T's proposal was for real.

About as smart as Bush the Younger's bright idea to invest American's social security in the Stock Market. He proposed that idea about 20 months before Wall Street went asunder. Come to think of it, nearly all of US pension funds are invested in the big roulette wheel called the Stock Market. Maybe Americans will have Chinese as their primary language (taking over from Spanish) in the not-too-distant future. That might give the Sino-Thai Shinawatres another option to run to - from the short arm of Thai law enforcement.

Since the current Thai 'elite' (government included) can't be trusted with one cent, I suggest the following;

1] Hire a group of foreigners to 'setup' the country's government. Of course, most of the existing Thai laws must remain except for the laws that allow discrimination, culture & religion to determine the outcomes of people's lives.

2] Hire an army to protect the foreigners.

3] Give the foreigners 1 year to complete the task. Upon completion of said task, they must leave the country.

4] Sack all Thai police & the entire Thai military & start again. Give them jobs as 'service station attendants' & promote the existing attendants so that these buggers take orders from 'little people'. Also, the 'new' military will not have any connection to politics. The 'new' attendants will need to be watched carefully so each attendant must have a 'foreign' security guard...24 hours a day.

5] The 'new' Police Force & Military will be paid more, at least double & will be subject to frequent external revues by impartial international organisations for a minimum period of 5 years, the results of which will be publicised nationally.

6] Remodel the entire ministry of culture so that they are powerless in the major scheme of things.

7] Send the entire ministry of education to other countries so that they can 'learn'.

8] Ban all Thai soap operas for one year (at least). Purchase the rights to broadcast a wide range of television shows, which shall include at least one foreign detective show (preferably not American).

:rolleyes:

Edited by elkangorito

Since the current Thai 'elite' (government included) can't be trusted with one cent, I suggest the following;

1] Hire a group of foreigners to 'setup' the country's government. Of course, most of the existing Thai laws must remain except for the laws that allow discrimination, culture & religion to determine the outcomes of people's lives.

2] Hire an army to protect the foreigners.

3] Give the foreigners 1 year to complete the task. Upon completion of said task, they must leave the country.

4] Sack all Thai police & the entire Thai military & start again. Give them jobs as 'service station attendants' & promote the existing attendants so that these buggers take orders from 'little people'. Also, the 'new' military will not have any connection to politics. The 'new' attendants will need to be watched carefully so each attendant must have a 'foreign' security guard...24 hours a day.

5] The 'new' Police Force & Military will be paid more, at least double & will be subject to frequent external revues by impartial international organisations for a minimum period of 5 years, the results of which will be publicised nationally.

6] Remodel the entire ministry of culture so that they are powerless in the major scheme of things.

7] Send the entire ministry of education to other countries so that they can 'learn'.

8] Ban all Thai soap operas for one year (at least). Purchase the rights to broadcast a wide range of television shows, which shall include at least one foreign detective show (preferably not American).

:rolleyes:

9) Ensure that there is a nice padded cell to house elkangorito until the end of his days.... :rolleyes:

Edited by way2muchcoffee

This is probably the only item I can reasonably agree with. I'm not sure I would exclude American detectives though. I grew up with Dutch, German, French, lots of English series and gradually more-'n-more American. Columbo still a favorite.

Edited by rubl

9) Ensure that there is a nice padded cell to house elkangorito until the end of his days.... :rolleyes:

The last cell couldn't hold me...& it wasn't even padded. :lol:

This is probably the only item I can reasonably agree with. I'm not sure I would exclude American detectives though. I grew up with Dutch, German, French, lots of English series and gradually more-'n-more American. Columbo still a favorite.

I prefer Inspector Morse...all the other detective shows are too easy. :)