Ubc Vs. Hua Hin Cable

Taro

I refuse to pay 1500 baht for the UBC package that has good English channels. I've been told Hua Hin cable is ok and has a number of channels in English, including a few movie ones. Does anybody use it and can comment? Can you post a list of channels you get in English? Thanks.

My Thai family are happy with it (lots of their kind of stuff) but having moved from UBC I'm very disappointed

It's cheap for sure - Thb 2500 per annum as opposed to Thb 1500 per month - but you get what you pay for - and you don't get much!

Frankly - it's crap for ferrang viewers.

Not a clue what's coming on (no magazine or menu search)or indeed what time it will start. Old and obscure movies "sometimes" in English but not guaranteed.

No sports coverage as such.

Reception and overall quality very poor.

I'm most definitely debating UBC re-connection!

Edited by The Vulcan

Thanks for the link. I have no idea what I'm looking at, though. I recognize the sci-fi channel and... that's it. Some seem to be movie channels, but it's hard to tell without a description and a few titles as an example. I mostly want movies and maybe a few documentaries or US shows. I know I can watch them online but I'm annoyed about having to wait until they buffer so it would be nice to be able to watch just tv. UBC is so expensive!

Cable quality is fine - you get the usual channels that are on UBC plus a few more.

On cable you don't get the 'true visions' logo on every channel like you do with UBC - plus the cable signal actually gets to the TV a few seconds quicker than UBC sat.

Note that UBC connects to your TV via red-white-yellow component cable whereas Cable connects to the TV by RF cable, so Cable won't work on a UK spec TV.

Cable quality is fine - you get the usual channels that are on UBC plus a few more.

On cable you don't get the 'true visions' logo on every channel like you do with UBC - plus the cable signal actually gets to the TV a few seconds quicker than UBC sat.

Note that UBC connects to your TV via red-white-yellow component cable whereas Cable connects to the TV by RF cable, so Cable won't work on a UK spec TV.

What package of UBC are you referring to? The 1500-baht one has tons of English channels. The basic UBC cable has... well, nothing.

Are you referring to Hua Hin cable tv or UBC cable tv as in Bangkok ?

AFAIK the quality and programmes are completely different and the UBC service is only available via satellite dish in Hua Hin.

The cable system companies allocate the channels onto VHF frequencies so a TV with a compatible tuner is required.

Some older UK tv's were fitted with UHF tuners only so will not work with a VHF cable service.

Hi

If you are going to refuse to pay 15,000 baht for the basic UBC package then the cable TV is your only option, unless you go for the one off satelite system that gets all the free channels, cost 20k. I have a friend that has this system, it has about 300 channels but from Iceland and the Scandie country's, he only watch's 3 channels, whats the point.

I have UBC and cable, 18k for a year gold or 2,500 for the cable, I only use cable when I get fed up with the news on UBC and switch to cable for Fox News.

Cable has the copied films from the market BBC World, Australian and German news loads of cartoons channels, if you are on a budget this is it, personally I have never regreted the UBC as I stay in more for the World Sport and Movies so I get my money back. If you are a sports buff then you will be down the bars spending money on overpriced drinks and food.

The other point is there is no TV guide so you switch on cable and see whats on hoping its something you like.

• 3 weeks later...

Where can I get FOX channels such as Fox Crime, Fox News?

I also would like to have Bio Channel and other English channels not supplied by UBC.

Any other channels worth watching these days?

Will be much obliged if I could get their contact telephone nos. in Bkk.

Thanks in advance.

I got Hua Hin cable installed yesterday it took them about 5 mins as the house had previously been wired. Cost 2400b for a year. It has SyFy , Universal ,Granada, Outdoor ,BBC,Al Jazeera, Fox news and some Euro sport channels and goal tv plus a couple of movie channels. And then of course 40 something Thai channels ;) Good enough for me and the picture quality is excellent :)