Submitting Additional Documents Before Decision Is Made

We're at the 6 1/2 week stage in the waiting process for our UK settlement visa decision. Whilst I think we have a very strong case and I do not fear rejection, I want to ask opinions on whether you can and indeed whether it is worthwhile submitting additional documents which strengthen your position.

Specifically I have been longer in employment and have far more funds on deposit. When we applied I had only received a few salary payments, though luckily, I am remunerated very well and have included my contract of employment and much financial paperwork. I could now add additional bank statements showing all salaries received since the application was made.

I do not believe they have even begun to look at our application. In fact, I am partially convinced that one reason why they make you wait so long is to justify the huge fees they charge. Imagine if they returned it after only a couple of days, as they do with low fee tourist visa applications; people would seriously question why they charged so much.

So my first question is whether you can actually submit additional documents. Secondly, I ask whether it would be a good idea. Additionally, if you can submit documents, forcing them to get your file out from under the gathering dust could perhaps make them look at it and grant your visa without further undue delay.

Any thoughts ?

My wife settlement visa took less than a week back in Feb 2010. I would of had no problem if it took 1 day I would of been even happier. So the wait is down to work load. When we submitted the application I waited outside all afternoon. The place was full with students applying for there visa. The time waiting is all down to what time of year you submit.

My opinion is to wait and see if they require additional information they will ask for it.

They will only refuse if there are many reasons for refusal.

They can and will refuse based on one reason if that reason causes them to fail to tick one of the checklist boxes.

However, in the case of the OP, it would seem that he has proven adequately funds available to support his wife (and probably 3 other wives too) Nothing can be served by proving that you can in fact support 6 wives now.

In practice there are only a few reasons why ECO will refuse a Settlement Visa

1. He has reason to doubt that you intend to live together as man and wife in UK.(suspect sham marriage)......caused through lack of contact evidence

2. He believes that there are not enough funds available to support a wife......caused through lack of funds evidence.

There are others but they are relatively obscure, such as nowhere to live, serious criminal record, partner not settled in UK

As long as you demonstrate you meet all the requirements :

You must show that:

• you are legally married to each other or have registered a civil partnership;
  • you are going to live together permanently as husband and wife, or as civil partners;
  • you have met each other;
  • you can support yourselves and any dependants without help from public funds;
  • you have adequate accommodation where you and your dependants can live without help from public funds; and
  • you are at least 21 years old (or 18 years old if you or your husband, wife or civil partner is a serving member of HM Forces).

Regards Paul