Australian Red-Shirt Conor David Purcell To Be Deported From Thailand

webfact

This thread has become something of a lynch mob. It's easy to kick someone when they're down. I find I feel quite sorry for the guy. It was poor judgment of course, and in many ways he only has himself to blame, but I don't think the guy did anything out of malice did he? And the people who are putting the boot in on this thread, what did he ever do to you? Peace.

Edited by Sabre
  • Like 1

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabre>> He elevated the opinion that 'farang shouldn't have an opinion here' amongst normal people. That is damage done to us all.

And screaming at judges in a court-room wasn't done to be nice, even if you might not label it as 'done in malice'.

The Thai Government was brutal towards the rural Thais in the end.I watched all this from my Saimai home with my "Red Shirt" Thai Family.

brutal at the end? When on the 10th of April some black-shirts started interfering relatively peaceful protests started to get ugly. Maybe some-one wanted that to ridicule the government and be able to blame them. Don't tell me that was secret government activity. Lots of M79 grenade attacks and finally when still refusing to move, still coming with more and more demands, the reds get expelled. No-way could that have been done peacefully and no-way was it brutal other than increasingly violent. The UDD leaders kept pushing the government and for months indoctrinated their 'rural' cannon fodder to not believe the government (and by the way, we burn it our way). You may cry for the rural poor, they've been had. Many lawyers and PTP MP's trying to get those UDD leaders out of jail, but the hundreds of 'rural poor' jailed upcountry seem to be forgotten. Open your mind and accept the truth.

Edited by rubl

Sabre>> He elevated the opinion that 'farang shouldn't have an opinion here' amongst normal people. That is damage done to us all.

And screaming at judges in a court-room wasn't done to be nice, even if you might not label it as 'done in malice'.

Of course farang should have an opinion, we're all human beings after all. Of course we need to exercise a degree of diplomacy and cultural sensitivity about where and when we voice that opinion.

There's no doubt that the guy has some problems with self-control and of course he has acted very stupidly, but if being stupid were a crime then we couldn't build enough prisons to fit everybody in.

At the end of the day, his biggest crime was to voice his opinion in a foolish way. An unpopular opinion. He has not stolen, or used violence or hurt anybody physically. In my view he has harmed nobody except for himself.

When dealing with an unruly toddler, it's amazing how effective a proper "time out" can be in correcting their temper tantrums:

Smug off-the-cuff remarks not only mislead people but can lead to irresponsible behavior in themselves.

Mr. Purcell is not an unruly toddler, but a person with severe emotional problems that render him unable to function to care for himself.

He should have been released on medical grounds. Those of you who did not have the opportunity to observe him personally over a prolonged period, as I have, should stop making conclusions based on newspaper stories.

To recommend "professional help" is dubious for a non-professional to do because the decision to accept and follow it must come from the subject himself.

If, as you state, he is "..... a person with severe emotional problems that render him unable to function to care for himself. " how can you claim that " He should have been released on medical grounds." surely in that case he should be confines in an institution capable of offering the appropriate care, no?

Did you protest in front of Thaksin's house when he butchered and murdered people during the so called drug cleansing?

There's a time and place to protest peacefully.

I am sorry, but I must have missed the reports of Taksin Butchering and murdering people during the crackdown on drug dealing. Do you have pictures of him butchering these people. Such Drivel, you should be ashamed of yourself. Sounds like a Democrat in America blaming everything on George Bush.

What is drivel is suggesting that for someone to be responsible for the lives of innocent people they must not only have killed with their own bare hands but there must also be photographic evidence.

I completely agree with you but the same criticism applies to those on TV who insist that the army never shot any reds, because of the absence of specific photographic evidence............

The same could be said of those who insist that the army 'massacred' the reds, without any specific or photographic evidence.

Did Savage get deported?

Ruling was 1-1/2 month followed by deportation. His time in jail already covered that period, so ...

BBC site on 16th of July said "Thai demo arrest Briton Jeff Savage is deported to UK".

Of course farang should have an opinion, we're all human beings after all. Of course we need to exercise a degree of diplomacy and cultural sensitivity about where and when we voice that opinion.

There's no doubt that the guy has some problems with self-control and of course he has acted very stupidly, but if being stupid were a crime then we couldn't build enough prisons to fit everybody in.

At the end of the day, his biggest crime was to voice his opinion in a foolish way. An unpopular opinion. He has not stolen, or used violence or hurt anybody physically. In my view he has harmed nobody except for himself.

Whats is normal people to you ? Because when i speak with Thai people who are not brain washed, they think most foreigners who come here come for sexy time with dark skin women, but the others are who the one who work and live here are actually interesting to listen.

I think you BG has put a little bit of herself into your head. We all know what he did was stupid, but this is not the point. Any educated and self respected Farang or Thai can make the difference between foreigners with their opinion and this kind of guy.

By your judgment next time a farang is arrested, you should go in the media and say how sorry you feel because now all foreigners will be seen as criminals...

Come on grow up. If someone has the guts to speak, good for him, but he should chose the right method to do it and be more clever about it.

Dont forget that people who actually make a difference in the world are the own who dare to speak up and dont just accept what "has to be accepted".

Edited by BigPanda

Well done Thailand for deporting this idiot, his crimes were not worthy of a prison

sentence but I think he had proved it was not in the best interests of the country

to allow him to remain.

As for some other posters saying he should of served a 2 year stretch............. well

I think you seem nasty little characters who would lock someone away for some

silly behaviour. Maybe one day some of you guys could fringe Thai law, have a bad day,

or be forced into a situation which gets you arrested and then we can all take

your views and be heartless and back strong sentences.

• Like 1

wouldnt you love to be on the plane with him on the way home (not).

donna , you took the words right out of my own thoughts.

Horrible to think of Aussie tax dollars being spent on repatriating a jerk like that.

To think that he will be walking the streets without a chain and muzzle, for Heaven's sake, spare us. Hmm, now there's a thought: I wonder if the RSPCA would give him a kennel, .. for a while.

Why do some people get involved in something that is of no concern to them, I am glad he is going and i hope others with the same view leave as well.

you mean like people who helped black African to put an end to Apartheid?

Not from within that is. I don't think I can name any country where as a foreigner you're free to agitate against the elected or anyway current government. Most would immediately deport you or jail you for a while. Now to agitate from outside is no problem, just a matter of choosing a sensible base country.

Edited by rubl

That guy definately should be deported. You never get involve in individual, family's, group's circumstance without respect to the leader. I would never let my friend shit on my father's head even if my father and his family is not perfect (just like everyone else).

If you do not want to respect him.................................please please leave.

That guy definately should be deported. You never get involve in individual, family's, group's circumstance without respect to the leader. I would never let my friend shit on my father's head even if my father and his family is not perfect (just like everyone else).

If you do not want to respect him.................................please please leave.

You have been brain washed pretty hard. I piety you.

Send me a pm for fun, i will let you know how to come to my office, its in the center and a few Thais and I can explain you a couple of thing. If you ever dare I wait for your pm or you give; send me a message with your fun (i know ur a troll) number.

I am sorry but I must take it that you are A. troll B. a .... (3 points (sorry have to protect myself) )

But when you are in front of me we will see what you are.

To the mod: cant you set up ur programming that when a member is banned, the ip he is using is banned as well. Thanks. Just a suggestion

Hiding is no longer available to you if you cant answer me.

Thank you.

Edited by BigPanda

Why do some people get involved in something that is of no concern to them, I am glad he is going and i hope others with the same view leave as well.

you mean like people who helped black African to put an end to Apartheid?

WAY out of context

As an Australian who has a Thai Fiancée and who has lived and worked in Thailand for the past year, I am surprised, shocked and embarrassed that this man, whom I know nothing about, has got himself into this situation.

After listing and watching the speech that he made, it appears to me that the whole thing was orchestrated, why he was chosen and who wrote the speech for him is anyone's guess.

What was the motive behind him giving the speech? Was it truly from the heart or was it the back pocket that profited from this.

I don't pretend to know a lot about Thailand's political situation but have spoken to enough people to get a better understanding of the situation.

I have been caught up in both the Yellow Shirt protests and just recently the Red Shirt protests when I was in Bangkok.

I have my own views about the political situation in Thailand but being an outsider I have to respect the view, believe and cultural differences that Thailand brings to me.

I am currently in Australia at the moment and have just voted in our election, I am grateful that I have been born and raised in a country that allows it citizens to free elections, freedom of speech and the ability to live ones live without persecution.

I have lived and worked all over the world and the one thing I have come to understand is that, you have to respect the culture and legal process. Yes have your views but don't step on the toes of the people in the country your in at that moment in time.

Edited by POAK

Look forward to reading about his campaign to defame Thailand in every way possible in the press and online, which will undoubtedly kick off as soon as he touches down in Aus.

Agree - he has eaten humble pie to secure his release - quite the opposite of the verbal abuse he threw at the judge and the police - his time in Prison here will only help to provoke his already unstable mentality and like so many before - he will be paid for his story in 60 Minutes or one of the other gutter media sensationalists.

A agree with the other post - they should have left him in for the two years. Not his fight and not his country. ermm.gif

wouldnt you love to be on the plane with him on the way home (not).

donna , you took the words right out of my own thoughts.

Horrible to think of Aussie tax dollars being spent on repatriating a jerk like that.

To think that he will be walking the streets without a chain and muzzle, for Heaven's sake, spare us. Hmm, now there's a thought: I wonder if the RSPCA would give him a kennel, .. for a while.

No Aust tax being spent on it. I understand the deportee and their family have to come up with the money for the ticket.

You have been brain washed pretty hard. I piety you.

Send me a pm for fun, i will let you know how to come to my office, its in the center and a few Thais and I can explain you a couple of thing. If you ever dare I wait for your pm or you give; send me a message with your fun (i know ur a troll) number.

I am sorry but I must take it that you are A. troll B. a .... (3 points (sorry have to protect myself) )

But when you are in front of me we will see what you are.

To the mod: cant you set up ur programming that when a member is banned, the ip he is using is banned as well. Thanks. Just a suggestion

Hiding is no longer available to you if you cant answer me.

Thank you.

LOL who is to be banned?

Private pm? For what? You already said yours and you want someone to come to your place and to listen more??

Really how long you didn't take your prescribed medication??

And back to the topic, I beat that when in Australia Purcel will blame and yell at Thai Government

Pity boy, but not all his fault.

How about the Thai school principal for employing a mentally unstable and rude boy to teach to kind and young Thais?

What about the reds by employing this guy and translated his scripts into Thai language?

Purcel has been very very lucky to be deported, I believe that Aussie and Thai Governments arranged in this way so to quit the matter!

The unruly toddler wised up after contemplating a more lengthy "time out"

An excerpt from:

http://news.smh.com....0820-138l5.html

Thailand to deport Aussie protester

The Sydney Morning Herald

Initially, during Friday's hearing, Purcell continued to protest his innocence.

"The arrest was illegal, I was never shown an (arrest) warrant. How can I trust the judicial system?" he said.

Purcell said he had been beaten in jail and had been refused medical assistance by a judge during an earlier bail application hearing.

But Judge Somchart said he respected Purcell's opinions and the law would be applied fairly.

"I can guarantee justice in this case," he said. "If you do accept the charges then I can proceed to judgment."

Purcell was also encouraged by his lawyers to "admit to the crime" as "it will be useful to your interests".

"If you admit (to the charge) you will receive a reduced sentence," they told him in court.

Purcell, referring to family members and friends who had supported him, then agreed to change his plea. "I accept the charges," he said.

Edited by Buchholz

I'm starting to believe the people that say the farangs in Thailand are the rejects from their own countries. I keep seeing examples of this and it's getting hard to ignore.

Well I too feel sorry that these idiots go to Thailand because the life seems easier for them.

But we cannot say "all" farangs, not all people have dirty mind.

In my opinion Thai Government is doing a big mistake by granting Visas to farangs based "only" on their bank account deposit, yet any mad farang with some money will see a green light in Thailand for doing any kind of illegal they may not do in their hometown.