The Heart Shaped Lake

st11x

G'day,

On the Silkair flight back to CNX, as the pilot announces that we are descending (about 220 km), if you look out of the right hand side window, you will notice a heart shaped lake with a heart shaped lake island in the middle of it. There is like a platform that you can walk from the larger heart to the island.

Do you know where that is? I reckon if it is in Thailand, it must be about 3-4 hours from Chiang Mai. There doesn't seem to be any major roads leading to it.

Thanks

Matt

Never heard of it, but a little searching on google maps brought up a heart shaped map in Sukhothai province, has a dam.

Go to maps.google.com

Search for "Ban Dan Lan Hoi Sukhothai Thailand". Where the balloon with the 'A' appears, head NNE for 15-20km.

Search for "Ban Dan Lan Hoi Sukhothai Thailand". Where the balloon with the 'A' appears, head NNE for 15-20km.

Did you mean this one at 17.07395,99.894905? I looked at the satellite view and it is not that one. The one you can see from the plane is very purposefully built to shape like a heart (or the symbol of a heart). It is not an approximation or suggestion (that is shaped by nature).

On final approach to Sukhothai airport from the South, you fly over the lake and island, looks like a road runs out to the island. I've had a look on Google Earth and can't see it. Perhaps the imagery predates the lake construction

Did you mean this one at 17.07395,99.894905? I looked at the satellite view and it is not that one. The one you can see from the plane is very purposefully built to shape like a heart (or the symbol of a heart). It is not an approximation or suggestion (that is shaped by nature).

No, when I said NNE, I did of course mean NNW. So west of where you went, and I've worked out how to get the co-ordinates:

17.178228, 99.478326

Got a dam down the right hand side, looks just like a heart, but I can't see an island in the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw a report about this on Channel 3 News. Now my Thai isn't great, so I could only get the basics of the story. It is indeed in Sukhothai province, and it is a Royal Project. His Majesty identified an area of low-lying land to be used as a flood-alleviation water collection point, the idea being to retain more water in the North for the dry season whilst also reducing flooding further south along the Chao Phrya. The report said it is full right now, and warned points south of Nakhon Sawan to expect a water surge in the next 50 hours.

What about here, not heart shaped but manmade looking with manmade island; 17.3777, 99.7847?

There's something similar at 17.21955, 100.1242

Even better at 17.07127, 99.896

This last one might be the "heart shaped lake".

Edited by MESmith

What about here, not heart shaped but manmade looking with manmade island; 17.3777, 99.7847?

There's something similar at 17.21955, 100.1242

Even better at 17.07127, 99.896

This last one might be the "heart shaped lake".

Could see where this one could be construed as the missing link..17.07127, 99.896.;)