Problem With Wifi Help Me Please

stl

Hi ,

may be you c han elp me . i live in condo and i have many signal wifi for i can conect my computer to internet. i use laptoop hp so wifi cart wifi inside is not antena externe .

in my room the signal gone many time , come back et disapart signal to low

i have to go outside to the swiming pool for have a better signal

what can i do may be for bosster or make better the signal

can i buy big antenna , or may be you have a better solution. for boots my signal or may be buy antenna externe with booster

thanks help

stl

Edited by penzman

How many rooms do you have in your condo? Have you tried placing the router in different positions and moving the aerial around.

For comparison, my router on top of a cupboard in a back bedroom. I get a strong signal throughout my condo (250 sq metres). My laptop wi-fi is built-in.

Sounds like you may have faulty equipment?

I don't know, I'm just throwing out an idea - - - how about getting a repeater and putting it out where the signal is good, and re-transmitting it into the apartment?

Can anyone else confirm if such a gadget exists?

I don't know, I'm just throwing out an idea - - - how about getting a repeater and putting it out where the signal is good, and re-transmitting it into the apartment?

Can anyone else confirm if such a gadget exists?

A lot of WIFI-capable routers (and probably access points) have a 'repeater' function built in. Just got to turn it on.
I can't believe people aren't protecting their networks and making them secure to allow only authorized access. To think that some people wonder why identity theft is so rampant!

Unfortunately, most people have no idea at all, and this isn't going to change anytime soon. It's about time manufacturers started simplifying wireless security for consumers by forcing them to set it up during install (a 'wizard' would help step people through it) or at least advising them that their arse is hanging out in the breeze...

so nobody have better idee.

so i know i can get and use internet is not protect because i go an other floor in my building and the signal is good and the signal is front another building and free acess not protect but in my room can not acess signal to slow

As has been said above, the position of your antenna is critical. Irecently set up a wireless network for a friend and in one his daughters room the signal strength from one of his neighbours was better than is own due to the number of walls it had to pass through.

i use my own router in my apartment(on 20th floor)...

but if i carry my notebook to the balcony, i get a whole lot of routers to connect to.,...nonw from my room...

anyway...u should get the software network stumbler, it shows you all the connections with live signal strength graps.

it helps u arrange the notebook in the optimum position.

as tso310 said its the position of the antenna which counts....move yr notebook slowly while monitoring the signal strength graph....adjust the screen aangle....etc...

in my old apartment found i could use another persons wifi by this method.....in my room in one position i got the signal...

i stll use this if im on travel from a hotel room...

usually takes me 5 mins to adjust optimum position....

sometimes the guys even leave the default passwords on the router....fun to get in.,..but dont change the pass or screw up the settings...;-)

PS: its unsafe/illegal to steel other ppls wifi....the dude(or anyone in the range) might have some packet sniffers....if so then they can get yr passwords n details.....very risky....unless u browse ony https:// pages...

good luck ...

1) you can get another wifi card with a jack to plugin external antenna and get an external antenna (outdoor/indoor) as per your choice...

2) you can somehow open your notebooks wifi module and solder in the necessary cables to attach an antenna...

google for it...lots of detailed guides in many wifi forums...

hi'

get a wifi cable extension to set an ext antena.

get a tin, take off both sides, and make a hole and "plug in" the antenna cable, put it at some 1m higher than the pc and there you go, signal improved by 30% :D

or buy and ext wifi usb adaptor, some have a 3m long cable for the antenna.

and get yourself a b/g one ... may be your wifi card is a b only :o

francois