Big Bike Question

snowflake

If you want a bike with good performance - rider and passenger comfort then my first pick would be a Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird, it is a fantastic all rounder and for long journies won't break your wrists, a good one can be bought for about 230k baht, there are a few variants of this bike that are equally as good.

Can't do much wrong with a blackbird; nice comfortable bike. Eats rear tyres and chains if you have a ham fist, although I don't see how you can putter around below 40kms/h bah.gif If you're taking a passenger long distance; get a touring screen (MRA makes a good one with a high lip) or you're head starts bopping above 140kms/h.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine here in the states has a Triumph and he was complaining about the oil usage. No smoking and no leaks but drinks oil like gas.

What model and year is his bike? What is the mileage?

I own a Triumph Street Triple 675cc.

Had it since end of 2009, serviced when I got it and May this year, I have done about 6000km on it.

I have not had to top up the oil, the oil level has remained at a constant level from the fill of each service. I think that oil changes should more frequent than what the manual says, so I keep it around 4000km.

If you wish to find out more on the reliability of the bike I suggest you go here:-

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/

A forum with first hand accounts of owners of the bike.

For the love of god...please don't get a chopper kind of thing!

Edited by soihok

For speed, a bit of comfort without leaning back & a big bike feel there's a nice looking Yam fazer 1000 for sale on Bahtsold.com.

Its in Phuket, 225,000 baht.

Thats gotta hit the spot ?? Power, comfy, large, all rounder..

And well loved by their owners..

I am not 100% sure yet, as I have also seen on some web pages that the Honda 1000CB will cost about 400000...

If you mean a new CB1000 for 400k I would say thats a dream price.. Older CB sure..

Not sure if this link will work, but check it out if you can... It seems to be fairly accurate with other bikes so who knows... I know that CB1000R is riddiculesly cheap... and I am holding on that... I want that Honda... I just need to find out more about if/when it gets here...

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/index.php/Honda_Motorcycle_Price_List

Not sure if this link will work, but check it out if you can... It seems to be fairly accurate with other bikes so who knows... I know that CB1000R is riddiculesly cheap... and I am holding on that... I want that Honda... I just need to find out more about if/when it gets here...

http://www.motorcycl...ycle_Price_List

Link worked for me......

Interestingly....Honda big bike prices are now listed in "Motorcycle Thailand"

Must be a recent addition because I looked only a week or so ago.

I guess maybe?? suggests that Honda are indeed opening their big bike showroom.???

snowflake, keep in mind the Vulcan 900 Custom's V-twin has less than 50hp at the rear wheel. It has a 5 speed and with the gearing from Kawa, anything above 100kph your mirrors will be vibrating so much you might as well not have them. I have the SE and with Cobra Speedster Slashdowns, Baron BAK and PCV the bike has more punch but I could make a list a mile long of bikes that could walk away from it.

snowflake, keep in mind the Vulcan 900 Custom's V-twin has less than 50hp at the rear wheel. It has a 5 speed and with the gearing from Kawa, anything above 100kph your mirrors will be vibrating so much you might as well not have them. I have the SE and with Cobra Speedster Slashdowns, Baron BAK and PCV the bike has more punch but I could make a list a mile long of bikes that could walk away from it.

all the V twins seem low on power, yammy 1100 has 65hp as I recall, doesnt exactly make a heavy bike into a rocket, my 1800cc Vtwin, 3 valve, 2 sparkplug injection was just above 100 hp

but again they just arent suitable for much more than 120 kmh anyway

I am not 100% sure yet, as I have also seen on some web pages that the Honda 1000CB will cost about 400000...

If you mean a new CB1000 for 400k I would say thats a dream price.. Older CB sure..

http://www.motorcycl...ycle_Price_List

How can Richard's site be considered "accurate" when it's listing prices for bikes that aren't even sold in Thailand???

all the V twins seem low on power, yammy 1100 has 65hp as I recall, doesnt exactly make a heavy bike into a rocket, my 1800cc Vtwin, 3 valve, 2 sparkplug injection was just above 100 hp

but again they just arent suitable for much more than 120 kmh anyway

You can say that again mate.

Only useful for chugging about and generally getting in the way.

I share a parking area with a few bikes where I live, a Yam 1800cc takes up two spaces.

Mind you the guy that owns it is about 150kg and 7 foot tall, so I,m not going to complain too much there.

He wouldn't fit on my bike so I kind of understand.

Yes, you could see it like that, if I needed to guess I would say around thanksgiving

LOL- haven't you been saying "coming soon" and "wait a few months" about the Big H for a couple years now??? :lol:

Dear Tony,

With Honda I remember me saying, for a couple of years, that the Honda CBR150R will go out of production. For Honda big bike plan it was originally on the agenda for 2009, but due to the economic crisis most money costing events where moved up a year.

While I was maybe the first who started to say that in the fourth quarter of this year Honda is going to introduce a new “sporty” motorcycle and big bikes, I'm surely not the only one saying it. The director of Honda Thailand also confirmed what I'm saying in several newspapers in Thailand. The CEO of Honda (Japan) also to some level said the same in his mid years speech.

Edited by Richard-BKK

With Richard BKK, it's usually "shoot the messenger." Can't think why.

Advance notice information comes from many places, and sometimes the companies distributing it are blowing smoke, but often too plans change. That does not mean that HIS information was not the best available at the time. And he doesn't "rubber stamp" bikes all the time either - see the review on the cheaper new 1000.

Sure, Honda delayed its schedule. They have stock owners to pay. But 144K for their Fi twin 250 certainly sounds like Honda to me.

Does anyone have any experience with the ducati monster 696?

I know it is peng mak mak, but it is very nice... What other options are there out there??

So you ruled out the er6n but are interested in the 696?! The link below is a review, easy to compare them when they are a similar price in the UK but over here it's an easy choice between the two purely because of the price of the Ducati.

If I were you (I know I'm not) I'd wait for the impending arrival of the Versys.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2009/January/jan1309-kawasaki-er-6n-group-test/

I know it is peng mak mak, but it is very nice... What other options are there out there??

Yes mate.

I experienced seeing one grow smaller in my rear view mirrors this week.

:)

Triumph Street Triple R

Edited by soihok

So you ruled out the er6n but are interested in the 696?! The link below is a review, easy to compare them when they are a similar price in the UK but over here it's an easy choice between the two purely because of the price of the Ducati.

If I were you (I know I'm not) I'd wait for the impending arrival of the Versys.

http://www.motorcycl...-6n-group-test/

in addition to purchase price of Ducati in LOS, you have the multiple insurance costs and extreme service/parts costs, not to mention waiting for imported parts.

No Triumph... Thanks...

I have yet to rule out the ER6N, I know that they are good and cheap...

The Ducati is just so sexy, but I hear what you say about extra costs and so on...

I would like to sell my car and just buy an 848, but I cant...

The Vesyrus is not really my cup of tea (have not seen the Thai version yet)...

Hard choices, and financially the ER6 makes the most sense, but we all know that we do not pick bike with our brains!!!

Hey mate.

Sounds like a cost issue.

I know where you're comin from.

I don't know if Kawasaki offer their new Z1000 in Thailand, but this is bike has had some great reviews.

Personally, I would be a bit disappointed with the power on tap from the ER6, but I understand that there are plenty around and easily available.

I also would stay away from most sportsbikes in Thailand, this is my feeling and no doubt I'll get some stick for saying that. It just semms to be asking for trouble, as in pain.

The roads just dont seem to the place for 280 kph bikes.....too many U turns and 40 foot trailers.

Edited by soihok

"Personally, I would be a bit disappointed with the power on tap from the ER6"

In what way would you be disappointed? Have you ridden one?

The ER6 does respond well to an exhaust change and power commander. Big difference dats what Tony sez.

The ER6 does respond well to an exhaust change and power commander. Big difference dats what Tony sez.

Fair reply.

I haven't riden one, yet.

The Street Triple I ride has a good fist full of guts, but I do find the throttle stop on a regular basis, so this is about the least amount of power from a bike "I" would feel satisfied with. The Triumph has more go in it than the ER6, its a fact.

You are already talking about tuning one here, why?

Just get a more powerful bike and have done.

Fair reply.

I haven't riden one, yet.

The Street Triple I ride has a good fist full of guts, but I do find the throttle stop on a regular basis, so this is about the least amount of power from a bike "I" would feel satisfied with. The Triumph has more go in it than the ER6, its a fact.

The Triumph Street Triple is a gorgeous bike with awesome power and torque and amazing handling but it's ridiculously overpriced here in Thailand and let's remember the OP says he's a teacher and it seems to me his budget is around ~300k Baht so that rules out the Triumph. I forget the price here in Thailand? Somewhere between 600-700k Baht, right? Sure the ER6 has about 30 ponies less than the Street Triple, but it also costs less than half and parts and service and insurance in Thailand are dirt cheap while parts and service from Triumph are anything but cheap...

The OP can get a used ER6 in good shape for ~180k Baht and with a few mods the ER6n can be a really fun bike IMO.

There's some truth to the saying about "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" :lol:

IMG_5170SSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Yes fair enough.

Understandable with the prices of the bikes, why do they have to be so dam_n exspensive?

I totally agree with the quote Tony, I see the frustration displayed by some riders of sports bikes here in Singapore, have a 280kph bike that will break the speed limit in first gear. Only to pootle about in traffic most of the time ( at least Malaysia is closeby and has kilometre after kilometre of good, fast roads).

Yes fair enough.

Understandable with the prices of the bikes, why do they have to be so dam_n exspensive?

Well, to Triumph's credit, they've done a brilliant job of marketing themselves as a "luxury" brand here in Thailand and that's why they can charge such outrageous prices and the HiSo Thais and wealthy expats are happy to pay without question for their trophy bikes. B) Coming from the US where Triumphs are incredibly CHEAP I just can't swallow the prices they're asking here in Thailand. That said, if / when I return to the US I'd seriously consider a Triumph Sprint ST for sport-touring across North America. Here in Thailand I'd love a Daytona 675, but with a price tag close to 700k Baht new there's just no way! :blink:

I am amazed at the low prices of bikes in the US.

The Triumph Rat forum I mentioned earlier in the post, has many posters from the US and the prices mentioned are a fraction of those in Thailand.

When I do leave Singapore I,ll probably leave the bike also, which will be sad, but to replace it in LOS with the same would be a shock.

So I guess I may as well fill my boots with bikes while I,m here, this place isn't the cheapest place to buy bikes either.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/

Cheers

Why ?? Price.. Pure and simple..

A tuned ER6 is probably the cheapest price performance ratio on the market..

Old grey import racers can be money pits.