Limescale Removal.

wackysleet

Maybe someone has some advice, just moved into an older house with tiled bathroom floor which is covered in a form of limescale, I have tried numerous types of bathroom and floor cleaners to no avail, I would assume that there is a type of limescale remover on the market similar to the English Harpic limescale remover, and yes, I have tried elbow grease, thanks for any advice and input.

I haven't seen your floor, so I don't know if what I am going to say is relevant. Is the grouting in good condition?

Most older bathroom floors in Thailand have had the tile glaze damaged and the grout between the tiles eaten away by the frequent use of these "bathroom cleaners" which are actually quite concentrated Hydrochloric Acid. In many instances the structure of the building has also been damaged by the years of acid eating away at the concrete beams. If the bathroom cleaners don't touch your "lime scale" then it probably isn't lime scale but something else.

Edited by stolidfeline

And if Vixol does not remove it then use it with a pumice stone. A pumice stone will not damage glazed surfaces souch as toilet bowls and with some elbow grease will remove any limescale no matter how bad especially when used with acidic liquids.

I haven't seen your floor, so I don't know if what I am going to say is relevant. Is the grouting in good condition?

Most older bathroom floors in Thailand have had the tile glaze damaged and the grout between the tiles eaten away by the frequent use of these "bathroom cleaners" which are actually quite concentrated Hydrochloric Acid. In many instances the structure of the building has also been damaged by the years of acid eating away at the concrete beams. If the bathroom cleaners don't touch your "lime scale" then it probably isn't lime scale but something else.

Thanks for your reply along with the others, well your right about there being very little glaze left on the tiles but the residue is like looking at little white clouds, similar to water marks on a glass.

• 5 months later...

Be careful when using Vixol or similar chemicals, that stuff is lethal. And whatever you do, don’t get any on bare skin such as your hands.

One drop in your eye and you could be blinded. The fumes are enough to collapse the lungs of an elephant.

It will do the job but use with extreme caution. I read that these chemicals are banned in Europe and the States.

Another option is to use pan scourers and scrub hard, although this could damage the surfaces of ceramic tiles, so give it the softly softly touch.

I would not use a pumice stone... That can scratch some surfaces...

I would agree that the HG products at HomePro are the best for a old/hard stain.

5l%20satin%20gloss%20polish.jpg

What can I say, I have used pumice stone on floor tiles wall tiles toilet bowl and sinks. It has yet to scratch any of them. Pumice is very soft compared to a glaze. However, that is not to say that it might not on a certain surface and is always best to test first.

Pumice used with Vixol works very well. I have used a number of branded limescale cleaners which tend to be quite expensive and have yet to find one that works as well. That of course is just from my own experience.