Aus Tourist Visa For 13 Year Old Only One Parent

My stepson is 13. His mother has had no contact with the father for 12 years. He was born overseas. When my wife returned to Thailand he came with her on a Thai passport. That expired and to get a new one we had to take two Thais who know my wife and the circumstances to the Amphur and a Form 14 was completed and signed by them both, the Amphur then issued a letter which the passport office accepted as proof that my wife was the sole parent and issued a new passport.

To get him a tourist visa to Australia, the Aussies require a similar document according to their information sheet "An original statement from an Amphur giving permission from the non-travelling parent/s or legal guardian/s for the child to travel to Australia". My quesion is will the document we already have meet this requirement or is another trip to the Amphur required. If so I would like to be armed with an example for them to follow, I have a Thai version of the above sentence I'm not sure that would be sufficient. Does anybody have knowledge or recent experience of this type.

I used a Form 14 as part of the package to get visas for my wife and stepson to travel to Oz last year. This was done at the Oz Embassy in Vientiane, as we live close to Nong Khai, and the Laos border.

Another Aussie friend also obtained a visa for his wife and stepdaughter without problems at the Bangkok Embassy, using a F14.

Thanks Jack Spratt

I got e-mail after I posted from the outsourcing company that process Aus visas, it concurs with your advice. So here we go.

The documents will need to be recent and translated into English.

We used a similar document to bring my now stepson to Oz a few years ago for a holiday. We had..... one from the wife, one from mother and one from sister. We also submitted copies of the actual documents.

Edited by gburns57au

The documents will need to be recent and translated into English.

We used a similar document to bring my now stepson to Oz a few years ago for a holiday. We had..... one from the wife, one from mother and one from sister. We also submitted copies of the actual documents.

Just to demonstrate how confusing and frustrating this could be I also asked the visa processing company if the Tabien Baan had to be translated also, thinking as you said that all written letters etc would have to be translated as per the published information sheet, but hoping that maybe I could save a few baht if the TB did'nt have to be as I am proposing to put in 2 of them. The reply

" For tourist visa, if original document is in Thai or English, it can be provided without translation"

Now I am just going to spend the day going to see them and be prepared for an extra day (and night) in Bangkok to get translations and put it down to experience. Also the evidence of sons enrolment in school is proving difficult to obtain the head teacher is never there, last week was going to be here today, yesterday the son comes home with a letter, the school is closed today, the teachers have all gone somewhere for a meeting

Just to demonstrate how confusing and frustrating this could be I also asked the visa processing company if the Tabien Baan had to be translated also, thinking as you said that all written letters etc would have to be translated as per the published information sheet, but hoping that maybe I could save a few baht if the TB did'nt have to be as I am proposing to put in 2 of them. The reply

" For tourist visa, if original document is in Thai or English, it can be provided without translation"

Now I am just going to spend the day going to see them and be prepared for an extra day (and night) in Bangkok to get translations and put it down to experience. Also the evidence of sons enrolment in school is proving difficult to obtain the head teacher is never there, last week was going to be here today, yesterday the son comes home with a letter, the school is closed today, the teachers have all gone somewhere for a meeting

What she said is true however, if you are looking at a more substantive visa further down the track then it doesnt hurt to get translation done now. Any documents relating to children, I would get translated....just to be on the safe side.

in the end it is up to you.