Symbolic Sunday Protests Keep The Fire Burning For Bangkok's Red Shirts

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Symbolic Sunday protests keep the fire burning for Bangkok's red shirts

gallery_327_1086_19000.jpg

Sombat Boonngam-anong, head of the Red Sunday Group, has been leading dozens of followers in symbolic protests against the government's deadly crackdowns in April and May every Sunday, making headlines in defiance of the emergency decree for two months now. He speaks to The Nation's Pravit Rojanaphruk about his motives and the future acts of protest. Here are some excerpts:

It appears that your activities have been rather successful, at least in attracting the attention of the media and fellow red shirts. Why?

Well, first I think the red shirts have not been destroyed along with the leadership structure. If there were a million red shirts [prior to the May 19 crackdown], there are still a million today. Second, [the red shirts] were removed from any role in expressing their political views through demonstrations. I am just their representative and they want to express themselves. Red Sunday's actions are symbolic. It helps them face their own fear and they feel safe enough to participate, as they feel the government will not threaten them [if they engage in this type of activity].

How do you see yourself as different from other red-shirt leaders who are portrayed as closely linked to Thaksin Shinawatra?

I receive no money from Thaksin. None at all. I'm still accepting Bt100 to Bt200 donations at a time. So first, I have no link to Thaksin, although I have respect for people like [detained red-shirt co-leader] weng Tojirakarn.

The red shirt co-leaders never considered the prospect of symbolic protest. I proposed it to them back in 2009 and again backstage this April but they couldn't comprehend it. All this doesn't mean that any ties to Thaksin deprive the red shirts of their legitimacy, however.

The mainstream media appear to have given you and your group adequate media exposure. Why? Is it because it suits their preference in that they want to see more red shirts like your group instead?

First, our actions are acceptable to even those who do not like the reds. They have so far spared us from their opposition. The [mainstream] media gave us an opportunity. I think they want to give some space to the red shirts, whom they can believe to be truly standing for democracy. It's not just [popular tabloids] like Daily News but also [television stations] like TPBS, Channel 7 and Channel 3, which give us adequate exposure. Secondly, I think social networking through Facebook helps spread information about our activities like never before, and the mainstream media couldn't just ignore us.

Is your group's activities just something that is ad-hoc by nature and done to fill in the time until core red-shirt leaders return to the stage?

I never intended to do this. But nobody else was doing it. There will be many more organic movements. And the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship can resume their work. I won't stop and it's okay if news about our activities fades from the media after some time. Things should transpire naturally.

I'll do my best however in order to be creative in my activities and secure some space in the media.

Looking back, what do you see as the failures of the red-shirt movement?

I think the fault was in allowing the government to go into a military mode. The government got enough time to receive a licence to kill from many in the middle class. Second, I always thought the red shirts were not ready to call for a general election. It's better to allow the Democrats to run the country and expose their weaknesses. I had also called for more grassroots people to be able to speak onstage and said the leaders were speaking too often and some of their speeches were redundant.

How do you think the Red Sunday Group differs from other red-shirt groups?

Many use Facebook [where Sombat posts his views and latest activities]. It's filled with more young people compared to other red groups. Perhaps they do not enjoy listening to long and fiery speeches [at major red-shirt rallies].

What do you think of the continued imposition of the emergency decree in Bangkok and surrounding provinces?

In reality it's meant to pressure political gatherings into becoming smaller in size. Only a few have been prosecuted under the decree. But it has a psychological impact. Some types of [red shirts] dare not come out on the streets [to protest]. In this regard, it is fairly successful because the continuation of the decree prevents people from engaging in political activities, especially in places like Udon Thani.

Some critics say you are out to make yourself famous and that your work will not lead to any change.

I have been in NGO work for 20 years. When The tsunami struck [southern Thailand six years ago], I was made famous by the international media because I ran an international volunteer group in Khao Lak. I like to think those who criticise me do not know me. The activities we do are important. They gather and revive the spirit of the red shirts.

I would like to ask for the opportunity [to prove ourselves]. People have staged [major] political protests twice, only to have them end in violence. So I ask for the opportunity to realise the full potential of [a symbolic protest] and see what it can achieve.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-30

This fellow sounds like the kind of grassroots/left leaning leader that has been conspicuously absent among the Redshirt leadership. Hopefully he, and others like him, will succeed to turning the Reds into a genuine reform movement.

However, I suspect that he will be sidelined as soon as Thaksin's men are out of jail and back in the saddle.

• Like 2

This fellow sounds like the kind of grassroots/left leaning leader that has been conspicuously absent among the Redshirt leadership. Hopefully he, and others like him, will succeed to turning the Reds into a genuine reform movement.

However, I suspect that he will be sidelined as soon as Thaksin's men are out of jail and back in the saddle.

If only he could get enough traction without the other rabble rousers interfering particuarly the Mad Mouth.

A reasonable sounding movement.

Pathetic soft interview though. The government get asked about the deatsh so why wasnt at least one of the questions asked of him about red violence? The red movment cannot recapture any moral highground without disaccotiating itself from the previous set of leaders who openly called for violence. That is what this group should now do.

It would also be nice to see this ggroup denounce Thailnd's biggest human rights abuser in decades and call fo ran investigatuion into that to show true belief in no double standards and to show provable independence form the usual claims of who supports them. A way to go but a start

Edited by hammered

"I'm still accepting Bt100 to Bt200 donations at a time."

Money is still involved...

I think the reds need to change their color and their name. Maybe with a new start, without Thaksin, they will get more supporters? At least more supporters who don't want to burn everything in sight?

Pathetic soft interview though. The government get asked about the deatsh so why wasnt at least one of the questions asked of him about red violence? The red movment cannot recapture any moral highground without disaccotiating itself from the previous set of leaders who openly called for violence. That is what this group should now do.

It would also be nice to see this ggroup denounce Thailnd's biggest human rights abuser in decades and call fo ran investigatuion into that to show true belief in no double standards and to show provable independence form the usual claims of who supports them. A way to go but a start

Soft! If it got any kissy kissier they'd have to climb into a bed. IMHO just an opportunist trying to grab a hold of a little power, but forced to hold some weird views on reality:

"..... doesn't mean that any ties to Thaksin deprive the red shirts of their legitimacy..." What were the stated goals of the Red leadership. Elections now, so that Thaksin could return. Nothing else.

"..... allowing the government to go into a military mode." They didn't allow, they forced a hard response by disrupting peoples lives and conducting a bombing campaign. This is the big fault of the Reds, trying to burn the city doesn't rate.

".........the continuation of the decree prevents people from engaging in political activities...." BS. Red Sunday is allowed peaceful protest. A blind eye is turned as long as disruption is kept to a minimum.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

What about ...

Looking back, what do you see as the failures of the red-shirt movement?

I think the fault was in allowing the government to go into a military mode.

"allowing"??? How about "forcing" the government to go into military mode? The army stood on the sidelines, but the red shirts pushed and provoked at every step. Then when the army did finally step up, the red shirts came out with their weapons,

Edited by whybother

I still want to know when will they pay for all the damages they have caused

Pathetic soft interview though. The government get asked about the deaths so why wasn't at least one of the questions asked of him about red violence? The red movement cannot recapture any moral high ground without disassociating itself from the previous set of leaders who openly called for violence. That is what this group should now do.

It would also be nice to see this group denounce Thailand's biggest human rights abuser in decades and call for an investigation into that to show true belief in no double standards and to show provable independence form the usual claims of who supports them. A way to go but a start

Soft! If it got any kissy kissier they'd have to climb into a bed. IMHO just an opportunist trying to grab a hold of a little power, but forced to hold some weird views on reality:

"..... doesn't mean that any ties to Thaksin deprive the red shirts of their legitimacy..." What were the stated goals of the Red leadership. Elections now, so that Thaksin could return. Nothing else.

"..... allowing the government to go into a military mode." They didn't allow, they forced a hard response by disrupting peoples lives and conducting a bombing campaign. This is the big fault of the Reds, trying to burn the city doesn't rate.

".........the continuation of the decree prevents people from engaging in political activities...." BS. Red Sunday is allowed peaceful protest. A blind eye is turned as long as disruption is kept to a minimum.

And to add to it, the avoidance of discussing the contingent of Reds that associate with the beliefs of Red Shirters Jakrapob and Giles with his Red Siam Manifesto.

A perfect opportunity for him to disassociate from those radical beliefs and he comes up empty.

what about

I am deeply ashamed to be affiliated with those that participated in violent acts and acts of vandalism. I would not wish for myself nor the cause to be associated with them.

and

I am a little dissapointed that the poor peoples cause and drive for equality was sponsored by and paid for by one of the richest men in Thailand ( and with the hold on comms possibly one of the more porwerful), the irony of this is not lost on me and there were red faces all round which we found suitable considering the colour of the shirts we wear. however if poor people are to leave there farms and demonstrate for their democratic rights then obviously they need to be financially reimbursed as their farms are left to fend for themselves.

Pathetic soft interview though. The government get asked about the deaths so why wasn't at least one of the questions asked of him about red violence? The red movement cannot recapture any moral high ground without disassociating itself from the previous set of leaders who openly called for violence. That is what this group should now do.

It would also be nice to see this group denounce Thailand's biggest human rights abuser in decades and call for an investigation into that to show true belief in no double standards and to show provable independence form the usual claims of who supports them. A way to go but a start

And to add to it, the avoidance of discussing the contingent of Reds that associate with the beliefs of Red Shirters Jakrapob and Giles with his Red Siam Manifesto.

A perfect opportunity for him to disassociate from those radical beliefs and he comes up empty.

I suspect he is empty, rather like the Peua Thai Party, the UDD and the Red Shirts generally. I was discussing this with a well-informed, left-leaning foreign correspondent from the UK who interviewed the UDD leadership at their demonstration on several occasions. He attempted to engage Weng, arguably the most intelligent of the UDD leadership, on the question of UDD policy after the Abhisit government fell, but without success. He told Weng that, in his opinion, the reds needed to spell out a coherent social and political strategy, but none of the red leadership present on stage had any to offer, and "Weng just turned away".

I think the reds need to change their color and their name. Maybe with a new start, without Thaksin, they will get more supporters? At least more supporters who don't want to burn everything in sight?

I agree that they should break away from the Red Shirt / UDD movement. The UDD's claims of helping the poor were obviously just a facade. The poor have been deceived and used as tools for their main goal: to get Pheu Thai and Thaksin back into power.

I notice that nobody in the photo is wearing a red shirt. That's a good start at least.