Malaysian Food

james24

Gonna be going to Malaysia for about 5 days, am on a bit of a diet and was wondering if anyone has nay experience with its food. I know there is alot of chinese and Indian which normally are not that good for you so any ideas on dishes for breakfast lunch or dinner would be superb.

Also am I better off changing my english pounds to ringit in Thailand or when I get Malaysia... Im guessing no difference...?

Edited by james24

Where will you stay and what are you looking for eating?

If you want to eat like locals, hit any local hawker centers (open food court) and try what looks god to you. The hawkers centers are mostly serving local Chinese food, which in my opinion is really really good.

In the morni\ng you could try some roti canai, or if you prefer something sweet, roti pisang (banana thin pancake), and some Kopi-o (sweet coffee). You should also try the Teh Tarik (milk "pulled" tea).

If you can take spicy food, give a try to Beef Rendang, Nasi Goreng Kampung (village fried rice), Laksa... These are Malay food.

And last but not least, depending where you are, you shoudl try the Bah Ku Teh (Google it).

But again, if you end up in a city center, you msot probably be spoiled for choice with local and non local restaurant...

If you're on a diet you're screwed I am afraid. Roti Chenai for breakfast, snake head curry for lunch, and a lamb vindaloo with poppadoms for dinner. All in all about 5,000 calories I think lol.

Sorry, I have no idea about healthy food in Malaysia, I am not sure if it exists to be honest.

Change your money over there, but NOT at the airport.

ah cool Ill have a look round

Ill be staying at jalan ampang in Kl so hopeuflly there will be some choice. Hopefully Ill be able to get a decent sandwich....?

If you are staying at Jalan Ampang, you'd be close to KLCC (the twin towers). Lots of food choices, anything from rustic local at the food court (4th floor) to western fare (all around but mainly at the bottom level). Or take a cab to the Golden Triangle a few clicks away, (Lot 10, Starhill, Berjaya), You'd be spoilt for choice !

Sorry, I have no idea about healthy food in Malaysia, I am not sure if it exists to be honest.

Mee (but not Goreng) laugh.gif

Malay food for the weight watchers:

- Nasi Padang (similar to Kao Kang in Thailand) rice with selection of dishes

- Saya Lodeh (veggie curry), and is called Lotong when pieces of rice cakes are added

- Mee siam, mee rebus

But I do miss Soup Kambing sold by the Indians and served with French loaves...:w00t:

Edited by trogers

ah cool Ill have a look round

Ill be staying at jalan ampang in Kl so hopeuflly there will be some choice. Hopefully Ill be able to get a decent sandwich....?

If you are staying at Jalan Ampang, you'd be close to KLCC (the twin towers). Lots of food choices, anything from rustic local at the food court (4th floor) to western fare (all around but mainly at the bottom level). Or take a cab to the Golden Triangle a few clicks away, (Lot 10, Starhill, Berjaya), You'd be spoilt for choice !

Actually on top floor of KLCC you have quite a few good restaurants too, and one of them is serving Malaysian food. The name of the place is Madam Kwan. I think it is a good way to get introduced to Malaysian food.

As for goign to Bukit Bintang, I would advise you to venture in Jalan Alor, the mecca of Chinese hawkers downtown. Quite an institution with all the Malaysian Chinese eateries there. Stroll down the street until you arrive near Nova hotel, and nearly opposite the hotel there si what used to be my fav place to get seafood. Can't remember the name, but all 3 restaurants side by side serve the same food.

And besides, after eating, you can walk back to Changkat Bukit Bintang and hit the clubs and pubs there! The cheapest pub is Bar Ceylon. The trendy places are 21, Envie and Elixir. Don't go to Gypsies (unless you are interested ph34r.gif ) , it is more of a hookers' place (as are a few other places downtown, including Hard Rock Cafe)

Edited by PatLogan

• 1 month later...

update

The food was great. The healthy went right out of the window except for a restaraunt called Woods near the shopping centres. The food there was quite amazing and very healthy, mm could eat some now.

The Indian food was great and sooooooo cheap, roti canais and masala dosees all day.

The chinese food was very chinese, although I couldnt find a really good dumpling place which would have been nice. Ddint realise also how similar Thai and Chinese food is, except Chinese is a bit more oily.

Im actually thinking of moving there, thoroughly enjoyed and for the first time in a year felt normal rather than an alien on show