Cheap Airfare To Thailand

sirineou

Ex pats in Thailand are a diverse group, but we all have one thing in common (at least most of us) , we all get in an airplane to get here, and we all searched for the best airfare deal.

every so often we all see the occasional post " how do I find cheap airfare from X place to Thailand" with a few responses.

we all have seen the advertised airfares, "$ 680 TO THAILAND" only to call and find out that there are about $1000 in taxes and fess and the actual airfare is $1680, more expensive than Expedia or the other mainstream search websites.

So I thought that I start this thread and , ask those that have lately purchased airfare to Thailand, to describe their experience,

maybe we can all learn from each other, and in the process perhaps save a little money or at least have a better flying experience.

I will start the ball rolling by describing my experience, In the past I Used Airfare consolidatorsI would usualy save about 30% from advertised airfares. (they would purchase the unused seats to a flight and sale it at a discount) , now that airlines run a tight ship and dont have as many flights, and fewer empty seats, it seems that this model of doing business is no longer available, at least, I dont seem to be able to find any good deals from consolidators any more, .most of the times I find the best deal in the major airfare search websites, such as travelocity, expedia,etc and a few times on airline websites, such as Cathay Pacific, or Malaysia Air, that run specials.

So lets hear it, what is your strategy for getting the best airfare..

I booked a flight to Bangkok a week ago. I checked a few places and the prices all came up about the same.

Strangely enough I have recently found that for booking with BA or KLM the best prices can be had on their own websites and by booking direct with them. This is the exact opposite of what used to happen just one year ago.

I'm flying Birmingham (UK) - Amsterdam - Bangkok and back again - £670 all in - beginning of October until middle of December.

The layover is only 2 hours in each direction in Amsterdam so it's quicker and more convenient for me to go this way than to go via London.

Flying DFW to BKK rt twice a year, I used to try and find the cheapest ticket but I got no loyalty points and often had several plane changes. Then I started flying AA exclusively and at first I earned a free rt with every 3.5 paid round trips and once I got Gold status and double miles, it's a free rt every 2.5 paid rts. I save at least 20% over the discount carriers now and get special treatment (big list). Credit card loyalty points, for your airline of choice, can earn a mile for a dollar spent. Nowadays I just call my regular travel agent well in advance, give her a month, and she gets me a great seat at a good price and only one stop at NAR.

I came out in mid july with kingfisher and return may 2011, LHR-BKK 488gbp return, bad part was 15 hours in delhi on th way out, just 2 at BOM on the way back. I booked with cheapticket.co.uk who are a part of southtravel.co.uk. I booked 5 days before the flight, I was in a position to do this. I had found that checking different websites and dates that 4-6 prior to the flight departure gave me a good deal. I also used STAtravel.co.uk last year and got a 400 return with Jet for jan-may 2010, not repeated this time though. I saw an article in the papers a couple of weeks ago where some chaps had worked out a formula for the best time to book and they reckoned it was 8 weeks prior to departure and in th afternoon. As with all sites they push a price to get you in and then dont have any left, have never found going direct worked for me. I think it is this november the uk puts up the long flight tax out of europe. The dutch abandoned this idea, so going them might be worth alook and the uk government are suppossed to be look at charging by aircraft rather by passenger thus encouraaging airlines to fill the planes, those empty seats then might end up as last minute deals. Thai over the coming years are set to incease the size if its fleet and as consequence get lots of new aircraft this may make them lower prices to fill the planes and make a profit, maybe, lets hope.

use the likes of expedia and kayak but then go direct for best price. My airline of preference is Emirates- but Finnair if you get a good price is very good.

Not best price but i'm going Finnair, Manchester to Hong Kong for £680 in October flights only 13 hours.

Over last 2 years to all of SE asia have gone up.

In 2008 I had no problem getting flights for £400-£450

In 2009 I had no problem getting flights for £500-£550

In 2010 I had no problem getting flights for £600-£700

I really hope i'm not looking at £800 next year. I may reconsider my destination next year and try somewhere new.

Edited by barsie

Flying DFW to BKK rt twice a year, I used to try and find the cheapest ticket but I got no loyalty points and often had several plane changes. Then I started flying AA exclusively and at first I earned a free rt with every 3.5 paid round trips and once I got Gold status and double miles, it's a free rt every 2.5 paid rts. I save at least 20% over the discount carriers now and get special treatment (big list). Credit card loyalty points, for your airline of choice, can earn a mile for a dollar spent. Nowadays I just call my regular travel agent well in advance, give her a month, and she gets me a great seat at a good price and only one stop at NAR.

Not Bad

I did a search for September 14 to Oct 4 at the AA website Orlando FL to BKK

their price was competitive RT $ 1358.00 total

and as you say with their point incentive , it sounds like a good deal,Next time I fly to Thailand ( soon I hope), I will certainly give them a try.

Thank you

I came out in mid july with kingfisher and return may 2011, LHR-BKK 488gbp return, bad part was 15 hours in delhi on th way out, just 2 at BOM on the way back. I booked with cheapticket.co.uk who are a part of southtravel.co.uk. I booked 5 days before the flight, I was in a position to do this. I had found that checking different websites and dates that 4-6 prior to the flight departure gave me a good deal. I also used STAtravel.co.uk last year and got a 400 return with Jet for jan-may 2010, not repeated this time though. I saw an article in the papers a couple of weeks ago where some chaps had worked out a formula for the best time to book and they reckoned it was 8 weeks prior to departure and in th afternoon. As with all sites they push a price to get you in and then dont have any left, have never found going direct worked for me. I think it is this november the uk puts up the long flight tax out of europe. The dutch abandoned this idea, so going them might be worth alook and the uk government are suppossed to be look at charging by aircraft rather by passenger thus encouraaging airlines to fill the planes, those empty seats then might end up as last minute deals. Thai over the coming years are set to incease the size if its fleet and as consequence get lots of new aircraft this may make them lower prices to fill the planes and make a profit, maybe, lets hope.

4-6 days prior to departure? I will give it a dry run try to see how it works, will also look at the 8 week prior theory,

thank you

Got Etihad for end of Sept (wiffee) ..me.. in October London -Bangkok for £415 so reasonably happy although got an "issue"...ie argument with the sods over mileage on earlier flights...MPR (as usual) :rolleyes:

The whole family is coming up to Mae_On om Air Asia for the House Warming "do"...9 monks plus couple of cases of Lao khao for our villagers ....+ a big Heinee for moi...and the rest. :D

Friend over here told me he got Eva ..R/T for £450 but recon it must have been right place at right time ...December????

use the likes of expedia and kayak but then go direct for best price. My airline of preference is Emirates- but Finnair if you get a good price is very good.

Not best price but i'm going Finnair, Manchester to Hong Kong for £680 in October flights only 13 hours.

Over last 2 years to all of SE asia have gone up.

In 2008 I had no problem getting flights for £400-£450

In 2009 I had no problem getting flights for £500-£550

In 2010 I had no problem getting flights for £600-£700

I really hope i'm not looking at £800 next year. I may reconsider my destination next year and try somewhere new.

55555rolleyes.gif not a good trend

and my earning power has being heading in the opposite direction.

still I am addicted to Thailand, my wife is from there, and i dont know what it is about that country, I have both European and USA citizenship and have family in Greece, Germany, and Italy, could live anywhere, but I always want to return to Thailand.hope to retire there some day.

13 hrs to HKG wow you guys in Europe are so lucky, , try spending 24 hrs in economy from Florida to BKK, let me put it this way, It requires vast quantities of alcohol.

I dont understand why all US airlines fly west. , it would only be a few hrs to Europe from the east coast in the US, and then and easy flight to the east, yet all airlines from the US usual fly via Japan , Korea or China, I dont get it. there must be a good reason.

Edited by sirineou

Got Etihad for end of Sept (wiffee) ..me.. in October London -Bangkok for £415 so reasonably happy although got an "issue"...ie argument with the sods over mileage on earlier flights...MPR (as usual) :rolleyes:

The whole family is coming up to Mae_On om Air Asia for the House Warming "do"...9 monks plus couple of cases of Lao khao for our villagers ....+ a big Heinee for moi...and the rest. :D

Friend over here told me he got Eva ..R/T for £450 but recon it must have been right place at right time ...December????

wow £415 =640.9675 U.S. dollars, How long does it take to fly from London to BKK?

I Have a sister who lives in Venice Italy and an other who lives in Athens Greece, maybe next time I would think about visiting there first and then flying to Thailand from there.

PS congratulations on the House warming, new house I assume?is it in Chiang Mai? Nothing better than being with Familyrolleyes.gif Chang Gao on the Heinee

Edited by sirineou

Best fares are directly off the Airlines websites as they have to pay any travel agent commission, unless you can set your dates in stone months or weeks ahead of time never book with a budget carrier as they can often end up more expensive than the scheduled carriers.

This may sound a no brainer but if possible travel when the airlines have their promotional rates even if it means you have to cut short your trip by a day or two.

Indirect flights often have a cheaper sticker price but a missed connection or a lengthy layover can turn what would have been an 11 hour direct flight into a 20+ hour journey around two points of the triangle, all for the sake of 2,000 baht saving.

Join the frequent flyer programs for all the airlines that fly that route and subscribe to their mailing lists. If you accumulate 60,000 airmiles on Asia Miles.com, it'll be enough for a free one way flight from LHR to BKK.

Hate those cattle class seats on Cathay though. Instead of reclining, the seat base moves forward so that you don't intrude on the passenger's space behind you. OK, if you're 5 foot nothing, but if you're a six footer like me, your knees will collide with the seat in front instead. I had a back breaking flight from HKG to AMS the last time I flew Cathay and swore I'd never fly with them again because of that.