Citronella And Marigolds

I have done a lot of research about the various plants that act as mosquito deterrents. I have a substantial garden in Chiangmai and was forever getting eaten alive out there, especially in wet season.

Recently I planted real citronella in pots around the house near doors and windows. It likes full sun and loads of water and as the leaf grows to about 40cm, I cut about 10cm off to release the fragrance. You can repeat this many times as it is fast growing.

This works a treat. I now have very few mozzies around the doors and windows.

Marigolds are amongst several flowering plants that also do the job. Small pots of flowering marigolds in sunny positions with loads of water again is preferable.

Both plants are easy to find in Chiangmai (Khamtieng) and I suspect in other parts of Thailand also. Don't let them sell you lemongrass which looks similar - it only tastes good.

When we were establishing our garden, we bought 2 varieties of lemon grass, one for eating, the other for mosquito repellent.  Can't say it had much of an effect, maybe you need to cut the leaves to release the aroma, as with the citronella?

When we were establishing our garden, we bought 2 varieties of lemon grass, one for eating, the other for mosquito repellent. Can't say it had much of an effect, maybe you need to cut the leaves to release the aroma, as with the citronella?

Lemongrass and Citronella are similar but lemongrass does not have the deterrent qualities you need.

Yes, you need to cut the citronella leaves often. No problem there because they grow so quickly, just like lemongrass.

When we were establishing our garden, we bought 2 varieties of lemon grass, one for eating, the other for mosquito repellent.  Can't say it had much of an effect, maybe you need to cut the leaves to release the aroma, as with the citronella?

Lemongrass and Citronella are similar but lemongrass does not have the deterrent qualities you need.

Yes, you need to cut the citronella leaves often. No problem there because they grow so quickly, just like lemongrass.

It's most likely that what I understood to be a second variety of lemongrass was in fact citronella.  It certainly gave off a strong aroma similar to the citronella mossie repellent  I use when I ran over some cut leaves with the mower.   My wife had referred to it as a variety of "lemongrass not for eating, but keeping mossies away".