monty

MySpeed Results

Download 100,776 bps

Upload 99,704 bps

QOS 24%

RTT 50 ms

MaxPause 1081 ms

At 8:47 friday...

Got up later then usual, internet was so shitty last night, made me hit the nightlife and I ended up seriously plastered!

Between 2 and 8 am you get decent speeds, rest of the day is shitty...

Since the speed got downgraded, it has been the slowest on saterday and sunday, so lord knows what we can expect over the weekend :o

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like this changed to a bandwidth competition thread?

Anyway, suggest that everyone who got scammed get in contact with the “Office of the Consumer Protection Board”, these are the people who are supposed to look out for us consumers.

It’s a government agency so not sure if it will help but sometimes they surprise you and do a very good job.

They have a website, www.ocpb.go.th, but it was down when I tried it.

Their email is: [email protected]

MySpeed Results

Download 138,672 bps

Upload 104,864 bps

QOS 35%

RTT 47 ms

MaxPause 901 ms

Maxnet 512/256

Jomtien Chayaphruk as well

Guess we're pretty close to each other peter!

Just entered my 5th week, been away for a few days, came back and Maxnet connection gone to shit.

Internet Download/Upload Speed Test

MySpeed Results

Download 44,456 bps

Upload 0 bps

QOS 34%

RTT 38 ms

MaxPause 1723 ms

Streaming Analysis

Given your current Internet speeds, we estimate that your Internet connection can support a maximum of 0 simultaneous high quality streaming connections.

Getting no joy with their customer support.

Monty thanks for the heads up, I have been going through so many system checks to find out what I had done wrong, as when I left Maxnet was at/near the advertised speeds.

So what is the solution and if there is not one, how can we advertise their duplicity to save others falling into the same trap?

dog

If you look at the chart I posted (now updated for 11 AM), you'll see that the Max Pause figure is now huge. This is the longest pause recorded during the test. The big number indicates that there is huge contention for the bandwidth. This is why the performance is good at night; when fewer people are on, and bad during the day.

When we signed up MacNet complained a contention ration of 20:1. It's hard for me to believe that this sort of ratio would result in such a huge maximum pause time and concomitant reduction in speed. They must be putting more than 20 customers on a port.

Of course, if all the customers are running P2P clients, anything is possible....

http://www.######/tv/MaxNet.jpg

You might have to force the browser to update the cache if the graphic is not yet showing recent results.

I have merged two topics, hence monty's repeated posts.

Lets not let this one fall by the way side gents.

Cheers

tuky

........and ladies ?? Or don't we count - as usual ? :o

......OK - don't answer that............. <sigh>

You are right Farang-Kha, I was not thinking when I posted. Please accept my deepest (formal) apologies :D

MySpeed Results

Download 2,615,648 bps

Upload 626,376 bps

QOS 73%

RTT 186 ms

MaxPause 141 ms

ADSL in Tokyo - ran this test a couple of times last night, and today, pretty consistant results - all pretty close to the above.

Thanks for the up-date guys. As yet I still havnt changed over to ADSL as I have been waiting to see how it all goes. Im also in Soi Chaiyapuk Jomtien, so Monty please keep us postered as to what is going on. Just goes to prove nothing is long term in the LOS!!!!!

Here's my tracking so far today:

MaxNet.jpg

(Note that the Y axis is logarithmic.)

Both upload speed and RTT remain fairly constant meaning no technical problems. Bad download speed and MaxPause numbers indicate massive overload.

I just don't believe the 20:1 contention ratio....

Monty, your story about the scam at Maxnet is not new.

After I asked her why it worked a charm the first three weeks, she told me they gave every new subscriber full speed, so they would spread the word and more subscribers could sign up. This "promotion campaign" as she calls it ended in the beginning of July.

She told me also, if I wanted the same speeds I had in the first 3 weeks, I should upgrade to the Maxnet 4 sme package (at a whopping 5400 Baht/month+7%vat) because thats how their servers were configured to supply us in the month of june.

This is what they do at True, as well. This is from a previous post by Highwayman.
I use the basic True ADSL home package, 256/128.

Recently l noticed that my IP address had changed from 2## to 6# etc.

The 2## IP address range is reserved for True's SME package, but this is what you (or perhaps farangs, who can pay more) get at first when they sign up for a basic package. The ISPs in Thailand suck you in with a reliable speed, then take it away, then tell you if you want it back you have to pay more. I am on True's SME package, and it has deteriorated tremendously over the last couple of months. I suspect the reason for this is that True is putting more and more first-time customers on the 2## IP addresses so that they will tell others how good True is. In the meantime, my connection speed gets slower and slower.

We need to expose these ISPs.

Ok. I got my TOT ADSL connected today finaly... wrong package though. I wanted the 2700 thb/month 1024/512 Kbps biz package in hopes of better reliability...

but they have connected 1024/256 Kbps package (the 1000 thb/month package).

Here's my results for tonight at 8.50 PM.

Download 425,584 bps

Upload 61,448 bps

QOS 50%

RTT 194 ms

MaxPause 469 ms

Have you tried running your bandwidth speed test on a server inside Thailand?

I tried your site and got different results when I ran a speed test on a server in Thailand.

http://www.adslthailand.com/bandwidthmeter/initialmeter.php

check out this one from the usa to see the difference in the two.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

http://www.ji-net.com Your current bandwidth reading is: 127.80kbps

http://myspeed.streamguys.com MySpeed Results ;

Download 3,512 bps

Upload 71,296 bps

QOS 5%

RTT 49 ms

MaxPause 14401 ms

Given your current Internet speeds, we estimate that your Internet connection can support a maximum of 0 simultaneous high quality streaming connections.

http://www.dslreports.com Your current bandwidth reading is: 132.40kbps

Test Time: July 15, 2005, 10:59 pm

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

132.4 kbps YOU

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

dog

Cheers for the heads up Monty,

Broadband reports results>

2005-07-15 19:21:25 EST: 211 / 199

Your download speed : 216949 bps, or 211 kbps.

A 26.4 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 204009 bps, or 199 kbps.

StreamGuys results>

MySpeed Results

Download 157,112 bps

Upload 93,232 bps

QOS 33%

RTT 59 ms

MaxPause 750 ms

**Edit**

Im on the 512/256 maxnet package in pattaya.

Edited by BigollieG

to be far with True , i apply to this service 5 months ago ! with the basic package !

outside some use at busy time , the connection is adequate for me ! not a heavy downloader ..

this morning i am geting :

MySpeed Results

Download 230,112 bps

Upload 81,504 bps

QOS 83%

RTT 16 ms

MaxPause 1438 ms

Streaming Analysis

Given your current Internet speeds, we estimate that your Internet connection can support a maximum of 1 simultaneous high quality streaming connections.

ROFL this is soo pathetic...... some 12 hours since my last psot:

MySpeed Results

Download 41,552 bps

Upload 105,816 bps

QOS 41%

RTT 83 ms

MaxPause 1657 ms

Guess the contention atm is absolute pooh :o

W0W it sux to take it in da ass like this......all we can do is upgrade and pay more for less contention...tht the only way forward then???

W0W it sux to take it in da ass like this......all we can do is upgrade and pay more for less contention...tht the only way forward then???

Looks like it.

Take a look at the TT&T broadband site:

http://www.tttbroadband.com/

It's in Thai, but even if you can't read it, scroll down to where the different MaxNet packages are described. I suspect that the MaxNet Life 256/128 package (for twice what we're paying for 512/256) will give better throughput because of less contention. Based on what is written there I'm guessing that contention would be one half to one fourth of what we have on the MaxNet Home package.

I'm ready to bite the bullet and upgrade because the current situation is just intolerable. But, need to wait until my girlfriend is similarly convinced.

This is what my educated guess looks like:

Most Farang subscribers will either move up to a more expensive package or move to a different ISP alltogether. Because most of us can afford it, and most of us really like the better speed.

End result, less subscribres on the cheap packages, so the Thais who stick with it (because they really can't afford more expensive) will get slightly improved service.

In the end I'm not really that much bothered by the fact that these cheap packages can't live up to their advertised speed, knowing CAT's monopoly on international bandwidth etc...

What I'm really pissed of about is their marketing department, who decides to give out full speed for a couple of months, so word gets around that it works great, and starts to get people into signing 1 year contracts with the lure of a free modem. And when their required minumum subscribers are hooked, they simply cut the speed (and as a result the bill to be payed to CAT gets lower as well) :o

I had Ji-compax before at 1650/month for 256/128. It wasn't really brilliant but was kind of stable.

Looking at the prices of Maxnet, and knowing that Ji-net supplies the internet to maxnet I guess that indeed the maxnet4life will get roughly the same contention ratio as Ji-net's compax.

If you doubt Ji-net supplying the intrnet to Maxnet, just do a tracert...

(I'll attach a screenshot for the post-DOS users :o )

post-4701-1121514982_thumb.jpg

Cheers for the link Buadhai :D

So whats the upgrade process...just pop along to carrefour? i cant read any thai on the website :o so im unsure if it can be done online.

Im hoping we aint forced into an upgrade and then three weeks after tht "bump" we get told tht we require another upgrade to sustain the speeds tht we get use to.

Cheers in advance :D

I had Ji-compax before at 1650/month for 256/128. It wasn't really brilliant but was kind of stable.

And, I had ISSP, same bandwidth, same price, prior to signing up for MaxNet. And, yeah, it wasn't brilliant, but at least it was stable, constant and reliable.

Of course, we are where we are and the TIT Uncertainty Principle applies; one corollary of which is: caveat emptor.

Now you know why I have that big head?

I wonder what would be the possibility of downgrading to the cheaper 256/128 band as it's pretty evident that achieving anything over this speed for any length of time is pretty slim. Only a 200 baht saving but better in my pocket.