Warning Maxnet

monty

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty good here as well. This from Korat, MaxNet 512/256 at 6:50 AM, 20 July, 2005.

Download - 408,424 bps

Upload - 94,120 bps

QOS - 82%

RTT - 57 ms

MaxPause - 310 ms

Note that the MaxPause is way lower than it was over the weekend.

Maybe it's because all the kids are in school now?

P2P ports shut off?

MySpeed Results 

Download 2,615,648 bps

Upload 626,376 bps

QOS 73%

RTT 186 ms

MaxPause 141 ms

ADSL in Tokyo - ran this test a couple of times last night, and today, pretty consistant results - all pretty close to the above.

MySpeed Results

Download 111,640 bps

Upload 88,880 bps

QOS 56%

RTT 688 ms

MaxPause 501 ms

“High-Speed” internet in Thailand

Buksida,

you didn't really waste money on the TT&T line... Most ISP's can supply access through TT&T's adsl network.

You might wait a bit until my upgrade to Maxnet4life is activated. I'll post on how it perform when I have it...

Alternatives are Ji-compax from Ji-net and Loxinfo's adsl service is reputedly ok as well. All possible through your TT&T line  :o

Apparently the source of my problem is the physical line (which is only three weeks old). The "technicians" from TT&T obviously just threw it up and showed it a screwdriver. The first gust of wind or drop of rain and the line is down along with my ADSL. They should be fixing it today, if they do I'll add my speed results.

I await hearing the results on the Maxnet4life package.

Have you folks seen the half page add in today's (Wed.) Bangkok Post for Ipstar satellite service. I went to there website ( www.ipstar.com). It seems that one has to find an Ipstar "Partner" to provide the dish, receiver, and installation. Is anyone familiar with this company? They state home users get 1Gps download speed. I would love to know more.

I could definitely live with ! Gps!!!!

Throughput degraded pretty seriously today:

Download 77,816 bps

Upload 36,768 bps

QOS 54%

RTT 58 ms

MaxPause 1293 ms

Before you go to Ipstar, do a search here to find other people's comments on the service.

And, remember that Shin Corp. has been ready to launch the satellite for years now but has been faced with endless delays.

Yeah, I had 382 or there abouts at about 7 this morning in Chiang Mai. Not so good now though.

Additional: <deleted> is this Gogggle Ads crap on the side of the page or am I the odd one out?

Edited by jackr

Additional: <deleted> is this Gogggle Ads crap on the side of the page or am I the odd one out?

An experiment in ad placement, according to George. Not so bad if you have a wide screen monitor, but kind of cramps things otherwise. (On my 12" PowerBook, for instance.)

Yeah, not too bad on the 15" laptop but murder on the pc. Be better if it went horizontally, reading lots of text when its stacked up vertically is a brain strain. Where can we voice our disapproval to George? :o

Buadhai,

I already have my Maxnet4life username/password, but they told me it would take them up to 10 days to activate it :D

I'm trying it everyday day but up till now I'm getting authorization failures :o

DougF,

Forget about IPSTAR. It certainly won't beat any adsl package, and I don't know where you've seen the 1gb claim!

The maximum speed the consumer box is capable of is 4 Mbps...

http://www.ipstar.com/en/product_userIndoor.asp#prof

Additionally, the prices are extremely high if you would need any serious amount of data traffic.

Check out the prices from IPSTAR's Thai "partner" CsLoxinfo:

http://www.csloxinfo.com/broadband/ipstar4_en.asp#1

I recall you being a trader, so you possibly use some streaming market data. These things eat up Mb's like nothing, and that's exactly what makes IPSTAR expensive, since you basically pay per Mb coming down the line!

The very high ping times -inherrent to satellite links due to the long distances the signals have to travel- would wreak havoc on the response times from any trading platform you would use. Ping times never are under 1000 msec!!

This system is perfect for people living out in the boonies, without any fixed phonelines, and who only use it for checking e-mails, browse Thaivisa, and the occasional small download. Will still cost you 3210 Baht/month for 256/128 if you manage to stay under the 750 Mb download limit :o

Edited by monty

Well finally got the thing working again, all the guy did was replace the router, didnt do a thing with the outside lines.

Hence the diabolical speeds [ 19.43 Hua Hin ]

MySpeed Results

Download 70,168 bps

Upload 61,224 bps

QOS 20%

RTT 68 ms

MaxPause 1594 ms

Shocking :o

Monty, et al,

Thanks for the info on Ipster. I guess I was so excited to see a possible solution to the MAXFAILURE debacle, that I didn't read the copy correctly. I should have figured something was amiss when there didn't seem to be any place to actually get the service. Truly pie in the sky stuff.

Looking forward to hearing about your new setup Monty.

DougF

Here we are, Maxnet4life activated...

Bang right in the middle between maxnet4home now and the maxnet4home as it was in the first few weeks!

Which proves again that what they gave in the beginning was Maxnet4sme...

I'll do some tests switching between maxnet4home and maxnet4life, as the old account is not cancelled yet!

maxnet4life, IP range 202.69.XXX.XXX

MySpeed Results

Download 207,680 bps

Upload 107,784 bps

QOS 25%

RTT 46 ms

MaxPause 1047 ms

Maxnet4home, IP range 58.147.XXX.XXX

Download 60,384 bps

Upload 10,400 bps

QOS 31%

RTT 46 ms

MaxPause 1750 ms

Maxnet4life, IP range 203.156.XXX.XXX

Download 237,544 bps

Upload 59,328 bps

QOS 1%

RTT 45 ms

MaxPause 2188 ms

Maxnet4home, IP range 58.147.XXX.XXX

Download 61,040 bps

Upload 76,064 bps

QOS 32%

RTT 45 ms

MaxPause 1531 ms

And finally one more:

MAxnet4life, IPrange 203.156.XXX.XXX

Download 347,672 bps

Upload 87,896 bps

QOS 51%

RTT 47 ms

MaxPause 734 ms

So you can see there is a noticable improvement, but contention ratio seems to be still higher than what I had the first few weeks with Maxnet4home, indicated mainly by a low QOS.

Now, in view of being objective, the surfing experience inreased a LOT. Without the tests I wouldn't know its not as good as what I had the first weeks. Also, I downloaded a few big files (in the 5Mb region), which all came in at over 50kBps, indicating actual speeds of more then 400kbps!

It might be that the streamguys test is a bit overloaded, or that the routing to their servers is a bit unfortunate...

Conclusion: I'm a happy camper for the timebeing, I sincerely hope they can keep this up.

I don't see no reason why quality should drop on this package, whathappened with the Maxnet4home package was clearly a marketing sort of thing... (or scam :o )

Here's my speed for comparision.

MySpeed Results

Download 14,384 bps

Upload 0 bps

QOS 39%

RTT 1624 ms

MaxPause 7581 ms

:o Incredible service!!!

Looks like I might join you Monty and do switch to Maxnet4life....or is that strife?

Yeah Jai Dee, read it...

They are bringing the prices so low, with free modems thrown in that they are signing up huge numbers of subscribers!

The problem is, that bandwidth from CAT is so expensive (roughly 25000 Baht for 1 Mbps!!!) and of course they are a government monopoly :o

Do the math yourself: at 790 Baht for 512 kbps, they would need a contention ratio of 16:1, just to break even.

Add in the huge costs the ISP's have, salary's, interests on investment, etc. and we're probably closer to a contention ratio of 40:1 or 50:1

I know for a fact, as stated in the True article, that the ISP's are ready with cash to buy more bandwidth from CAT. But CAT is so slow with expanding their own bandwidth that they simply can't supply it, or certainly not enough. Bit hard to understand at the prices they charge :D

As I mentioned before, I don't really have problems with the cheap packages being so slow, I was just extremely annoyed with the way they lured people into signing up, with their unsustainable high initial speeds!

At 2350/month for the 512 package they certainly have the financial means to support contention ratios of around 15:1, just hope they can get the neccesary bandwidth from CAT to support us poor consumers :D

Well got my 1024/512 (maxnet 4 life) upgrade activated last night.....

This is the results:

MySpeed Results

Download 52,648 bps

Upload 80,392 bps

QOS 42%

RTT 86 ms

MaxPause 2141 ms

i have carried out several tests on various speed test sites and this seems to be the average result.

It appears i was better off on the lower package as this seems worse :S

General surfing is now just pointless as each page is takin 20-60 seconds to load, like <deleted> i pay more and get a lesser service.....

Anyways im at a loss so not quite sure wat exactly im suppose to do next :o

Ive got a Thai speaking friend to contact the tech support and apperently they are testing the line and will get back to me......i wont hold my breath tbh :D

Logic has left the building.....

Ah ok well spotted monty.....

Still no call regarding the quality of this line :S

Less then modem speeds on a 2500 Baht/month package

lol and im paying 4000 for a so called 1024/512 rated package.......excuse my language but im getting seriously ****ed off :o

Same same here...

This is getting outrageous  :o

Less then modem speeds on a 2500 Baht/month package

Download 40,240 bps

Upload          43,232 bps

QOS          47%

RTT            31 ms

MaxPause 1422 ms

Monty, are these results for the new Maxnet4life package? If so I'd be extremely pissed off. What do they say when you complain to them in the shop? I'm seriously considering cancelling this contract when the next bill comes in and going with Ji-net or an alternative provider.

Results from Hua Hin at 21.05

Download 65,032 bps

Upload 35,112 bps

QOS 4%

RTT 34 ms

MaxPause 1656 ms

Yes, this is on the Maxnet4life package.

Called them, they changed my IP and rebooted the adsl line wich improved things.

Download 255,096 bps

Upload 110,648 bps

QOS 9%

RTT 47 ms

MaxPause 2016 ms

This is what I'm getting now.

There excuse for not foing faster is that their international bandwidth is overloaded due to the high load caused by the long weekend (all the school brats are home now)

Seems a tad better after a router reboot and i assume the "brats" are asleep now :o

Heres what im getting:

myspeedscreenie.jpg

Still not quite near there advertised package of 1024/512, i wasnt expecting it to be perfect but close would have been nice.

This a screenie of one of my router options on line attenuation, does it look ok?? i gotta be honest and say tht i dont know much about this area.

lineatt.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Nothing wrong with your adsl line!

Line attenuation should be under 70db. This is how much strength the adsl signal loses over the cable. The longer the cable, the higher the attenuation(=signal loss)

The more important figure is the snr (signal to noise ratio), also called noise margin.

The Thai phonelines are very sloppy strung on the poles, together with high tension lines and lots of other phone cable. This means your line picks up lots of noise.

Too much noise, and your modem/router wouldn't "hear" the difference between the noise and the real signal anymore!

So the higher the snr (or noise margin), the better the modem can pick out the real signal from the noise. The minimum for most routers would be 6db, but over 10db would be considered very good.

So for both up and downstream your line is well within the limits to be able to give you perfect speeds...

W000w cheers for the quick reply and juiceh info m8 :D

Hmm i was kinda hoping it was the line and there was a simple solution :o but looks like its still down to contention then?

ill pester tech support tomorrow...again....

i was kind of assuming tht my download would be around the 900kbps area...perhaps is tht to high to consider acceptable tho?

By the way, considering your line attenuations, I guess your very close to the telephone exchange!

One good thing then :D:D:D

Thnx for your teccie support monty :D

It's a bit strange, all my speed tests come in pretty slow, but the surfing is extremely fast, and all my downloads, from allover the globe come in at over 50kBps.

This would indicate a practical connection of over 400kbps :o

BigOllie, try following link, it should download the thunderbird e-mail client (from the firefox people)...

Then you would see the actual downloadspeed you are reaching.

Remember, downloads are measured in kBps (with capital :D while line speeds are measured in kbps. To get your effectual linespeed, multiply your download speed by 8

e.g. downloading at 65kBps gives a line speed of 520 kbps...

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thund...=win〈=en-US