Pets To The Uk

I understand the procedure to take a dog out of Thailand is pretty straightforward but does anyone know what happens at the UK end?

Assuming the dog has all of the required vaccinations, a chip implanted, blood test results etc. etc. Would there be a quarentine period and what about costs?

Cheers.

Bit of info... :o

The Pet Travel Scheme (pets) is the system that allows pet animals from certain countries to enter the UK without quarantine as long as they meet the rules.

It also means that people in the UK can take their pets to other European Union (EU) countries, and return with them to the UK.

They can also, having taken their pets to certain non-EU countries, bring them back to the UK without the need for quarantine.

Listed countries

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine...s/territory.htm

Dogs, cats and ferrets may only enter the UK under pets from EU and certain non-EU countries. They must not have been to any unlisted countries in the 6 calendar months before entering or re-entering the UK.

European Union (EU) countries and territories

Non-European Union listed countries and territories

Cost of quarantine

You are responsible for meeting all the expenses associated with the landing, transit and quarantine of your pet. Quarantine and transport charges vary considerably. Details of charges can be obtained direct from quarantine premises and carrying agents.

In considering the costs of quarantine, you should also note that the period of detention may, in exceptional circumstances, be extended beyond the normal 6 calendar months in the event of:

an outbreak of rabies occurring at the quarantine premises; or

if your animal shares accommodation with one that dies.

You would have to meet the cost of any extended period of quarantine...and more

I looked into this last year & one solution is to take your pet to a country in mainland Europe (spain etc) & stay there for 3 months. After that, once it has it's documents to travel within the EU (vets checks, regualr rabies shots & certified all clear) you can then enter the UK without quarantine. The rules for getting the animal out of thailand & into mainland europe are the same as rinrada stated above. All clear from govie registered vet, must have up to date record of all vaccinations etc. Bear in mind that if you do do this, you must provide your animal with a transpart carrier & also get this & the pet from checkin at bkk airport to the customs(?) area about half a mile away, so wheels on the cage or a car would be a must.

I've had a look at the Defra site before and am still baffled by the rules.

On one page it seems like if the pet is not in one of the listed countries you can forget it but on another link it seems like there is no problem unless it travels by an unlicensed carrier, then it needs to be quarantined.

I'll have to try phoning them, I suppose - I just hope it is not one of those automated answer services....

I also looked into this as I have 2 dogs here in bkk, and want to take them back to the Uk. Looked at the D.E.F.R.A site and was baffeled. So I e-mailed them and they replied saying Thailand was not in the pet scheme, therefore 6 months quarantine regardless. But I would be interested in some more info about sending them to europe first. Anything to keep the cost down! The missus cant comprehend the price for taking a dog back to the Uk. Thinks its too much, I can see afew arguments over this subject at home!