Thai Defense Minister Downplays Coup Rumor

webfact

Defense Minister downplays coup rumor

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has voiced his readiness to consider lifting the state of emergency should the situation eases off, stressing that the military has no initiative to orchestrate a coup d’état.

General Prawit ensured the best effort of all security officers to maintain peace and order in the country while the situation has been improving. However, he admitted that the situation would also depend on the national politics.

The Minister then asked the public to have confidence with the operation of security officers as he brushed aside any concern for overseeing the prevailing security affairs.

General Prawit also dismissed any necessities for the military to trigger violence by themselves in a bid to extend the state of emergency enforcement as speculated. He said the special law could be revoked only upon the improvement of the situation and safety of people.

The Minister confirmed that the military so far had been operating in line with the Constitution as he downplayed any rumored attempt of the military to stage a coup d’état or other attempts to delay the new election. He reasoned that everything must proceed by protocol and depend on Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-02 footer_n.gif

Minister Denies Govt behind Violence

The defense minister affirms that the military has no plans to overthrow the current administration and that the government is not behind the country's ongoing violence.

Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan acknowledged today that the hunt for those behind the grenade attack at the National Broadcasting Services of Thailand, or NBT, headquarters would take time, saying that the perpetrators are likely working in a well-organized network.

He assured that the military is still supporting the government and working at its utmost to protect the people.

The defense minister admitted that weapons stolen from the army during political protests earlier this year remain lost.

Nonetheless, he noted that the national situation has improved and pointed out that aftershocks from the May violence were unavoidable.

He emphatically refuted claims that the government was behind the continuing terror attacks in order to justify prolonging the emergency rule.

Prawit urged the public to rest assured that the military is not planning a coup.

Asked about the likelihood of a general election in the near future, the minister said it was a matter for the administration.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-09-02

footer_n.gif

What a ridiculous article. Military had their little hands well and truly slapped after wiping 800 Bn Bah in one week off Thai stocks after one of their 'decisions' in 2007 as well as a plethora of other errors that destroyed much of international business in Thailand for a year after the coup. They were more than happy to pass the buck and hand back over to a 'government' when they did. The last thing they want right now is to take it back from those who despite all odds, are guiding Thailand to huge growth in Industry and financial gains to the country, something the military could not achieve at any stretch of the imagination. Articles like this are propagated by rumour mongers amongst opposition doing what they do best - trying to destroy credibility as they have no chance at an election.

mad.gif

• Like 2

To Asiawathcher: What world do you live in? The Thai economy "appears" strong due to the over inflated and protected Baht - the effect of which in the medium turn will be a signficant loss in exports and tourism. Those who will suffer will, again, be the low income earners. The elite and rich who live in Bangkok and Khorat will again be the major beneficiaries.

It's their military and their government. I will happily sit on the sidelines and watch the show as a neutral party. As for the poor I feel for em, but have you ever tried to show one of them a different way to do something? I am not talking about just Thai poor I am talking about world wide poor. They don't want to learn new things. They don't seem to want to increase their knowledge base and earning potential. They are poor for a reason. That reason is most likely lack of motivation and lack of vision. Oh I am not saying that you can't find a guy will dig ditches all day for 200 baht a day, cuz I know you can. But take that same guy and try and teach him to use an excavator to dig a ditch and you will get blown off. It has happened to me many times.

To Asiawathcher: What world do you live in? The Thai economy "appears" strong due to the over inflated and protected Baht - the effect of which in the medium turn will be a signficant loss in exports and tourism. Those who will suffer will, again, be the low income earners. The elite and rich who live in Bangkok and Khorat will again be the major beneficiaries.

Dearest desm - perhaps you have not been here long enough. You completely miss the point. The BoT has been buying up Baht like there is no tomorrow and yes it is artificially high but notwithstanding that insanity is the article about military engineering a coup! Read it again. huh.gif

It's their military and their government. I will happily sit on the sidelines and watch the show as a neutral party. As for the poor I feel for em, but have you ever tried to show one of them a different way to do something? I am not talking about just Thai poor I am talking about world wide poor. They don't want to learn new things. They don't seem to want to increase their knowledge base and earning potential. They are poor for a reason. That reason is most likely lack of motivation and lack of vision. Oh I am not saying that you can't find a guy will dig ditches all day for 200 baht a day, cuz I know you can. But take that same guy and try and teach him to use an excavator to dig a ditch and you will get blown off. It has happened to me many times.

I'm sorry but you have to be kidding, right ??

Every person I've ever met who digs ditches by hand would love to wreck the backhoe. ( me included )

As 1 wealthy said to another, "they're all the same these beggars, obsessed with money..........."

I'm still laughing..........at you

A coup usually happens after a denial.

Agreed.

Bit early though.

Have to wait until the denials get a bit louder and then it will happen.

For our protection, of course.

From first denial to implementation seems to be about 2 years

Edited by sbk
inappropriate speculation removed

A coup usually happens after a denial.

If there is some sort of reason for it to happen.

There is little or no plausible reason for a coup, no matter what PTP rants on about.

Are you sure ?

And it would have nothing to do with PTP or your favourite bad guy, who is already probably history.

Thai politics moves on apace.........

Let's wait a year or so.

New players coming soon.

Edited by philw

That's not really true.

A coup?

Can't see it.

Stable government in place with one of the most honest politicans available as PM. An Army and government working together to find solutions for problems. Don't look now but for only the second time in Thailand's history a government is likely to govern out its term and hold an election. Considering the only other full term was the very recent Thaksin TRT party and considering the last coup was to remove the thieving piece of .... for the interests of Thailand, then the probabilities are that Thailand is stabilising under the governance of sensible and sincere leaders in its Army and Government.

A coup in the current climate? I think some people need to adjust or give up their meds.

Edited by Roadman

A Poster in an another Forum describes CRES as "in fact, another military dictatorship!"

not agreeing or disagreeing, but it's an interesting point of view.

maybe history will have to decide if the PM was a cloak to hide a coup!?

What could they do after a coup they can't do now?

except put a different smiling face in the seat

He emphatically refuted claims that the government was behind the continuing terror attacks in order to justify prolonging the emergency rule.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Oh really ? Why he so at defensive ?

Is his conscience hurting ?

Killing innocents periodically just to justify a continued reign of terror and blame the opposition for that...

Killing innocents periodically just to justify a continued reign of terror and blame the opposition for that...

If I were to call you a pedophile would you not be defensive?

Being defensive against an untrue accusation is not an indication of guilt.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

If he had said nothing, you'd blame him for hiding things. As for your last sentence, please go take your medicine first NOW.

A coup?

Can't see it.

Stable government in place with one of the most honest politicans available as PM. An Army and government working together to find solutions for problems. Don't look now but for only the second time in Thailand's history a government is likely to govern out its term and hold an election. Considering the only other full term was the very recent Thaksin TRT party and considering the last coup was to remove the thieving piece of .... for the interests of Thailand, then the probabilities are that Thailand is stabilising under the governance of sensible and sincere leaders in its Army and Government.

A coup in the current climate? I think some people need to adjust or give up their meds.

"Stable" maybe. But at what cost?

Who needs a coup? The military are in charge already with dear Mr Abhisit as their puppet and Suthep as the implementor of their wishes. The real coup talk will be after the next election when the Democrats lose and a PT government comes in. Then the coup talk will be for real.

Please back off on the sweeping, unsubstantiated generalizations (bordering on trollish/inflammatory posts) and the flaming responses to those who do. Please be reminded of the forum rules to keep this thread on-track and civil:

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Thank you,

Toptuan

For the Moderating Team

come October and we all will know.

There's a security scare, likely created by those who want power by all means, in Bangkok which could trigger unpleasant things.

Thousands of security personnel, including large numbers of troops are getting mobilized in Bangkok in the coming days. This is a setting of an upcoming coup?

come October and we all will know.

There's a security scare, likely created by those who want power by all means, in Bangkok which could trigger unpleasant things.

Thousands of security personnel, including large numbers of troops are getting mobilized in Bangkok in the coming days. This is a setting of an upcoming coup?

Personally I'd say the onset of a secure September. Compared with police and security forces, the number of troops are still low. I've only seen a new army checkpoint next to Chitralada palace. Maybe I should go out more ?

A coup?

Can't see it.

"Stable" maybe. But at what cost?

Costs? - you will need to enlighten me as when I consider cost then all the recent big ticket cost or loss items are tagged to the head thief Thaksin and his Khwai.

Possibly agree with some other posters thou. If the red rabble somehow manage to win an election next year then I would think within two or three years the Army 'may' need to rescue what would be left of the Thai Treasury from them. But even then the Army may not need to step in as the chances are possble, even perhaps probable, that given the lack of intelligence in the Reds/ PTP leadership as confirmed by recent events, it will only be a matter of time again before the EC and judicary bring them down via the PTP's own stupidity and greed.