Cheap Prefixes For International Calls

canardo

For years now, I am using 009 as a cheap prefix for calling abroad. Once it costs 9 THB / minute from home phone or mobile.

Do you know, if this service is still valid and whether there are cheaper / better services in the meantime?

Just wondering, because since a few weeks my AIS budget runs out quickly.

Thx and Cheers!

Thx, but this thread is one year old, and I thought there might be changes by now, but will go with 008 for now...

:)

Cheers

I have been using 0050044etc I think 1 baht a minute ( have not been able to check though )

BT

Look, this is what I am talking about, if you pay 1 THB now, it was 20 THB a year ago, so, where are the current tariffs / charges given?

Anybody?

Thx, but this thread is one year old, and I thought there might be changes by now, but will go with 008 for now...

Cheers

Like I said, there may be quite a few more threads on this subject, especially in the more appropriate sub-forum; "Internet, Computers, Communication, Technology". Maybe your searches will yield more recent posts. You can also go to the CAT and TOT websites to view the current prefix promotions and the tariffs for the countries you call. International calling tariffs are pretty much regulated so not a whole lot of changes over the years. You might find the lowest costs with a calling card.

Dialling 009 and then your overseas number is more expensive than getting the CAT card (you also dial 009, but using the PIN of the card you bought). At least that's what I have been told. I googled CAT Phonenet and the charges to USA (using the card method) is thb1 per min.

I have been using the CAT card and find that my calls to Australia seem a lot cheaper, than dialling 009 direct. A thb500 card seems to last a few months and I call once a week to Australia.

Dialling 009 and then your overseas number is more expensive than getting the CAT card (you also dial 009, but using the PIN of the card you bought). At least that's what I have been told. I googled CAT Phonenet and the charges to USA (using the card method) is thb1 per min.

I have been using the CAT card and find that my calls to Australia seem a lot cheaper, than dialling 009 direct. A thb500 card seems to last a few months and I call once a week to Australia.

Call me LAZY, but I do not want to deal with calling cards, I want to safe my numbers in my phone with prefix already and just once in a while rechecking tariffs.

If I want a call fro free, I use SKYPE!

Call me LAZY, but I do not want to deal with calling cards, I want to safe my numbers in my phone with prefix already and just once in a while rechecking tariffs.

If I want a call fro free, I use SKYPE!

Skype is only free if they are using Skype. I just checked the rate and it is less than 1 Baht/minute. Tough to beat.

Here is a price comparison sheet they have on the web:

http://www.skypethailand.com/th/download/price.htm

I also think Skype is a pain in the posterior. I have a Skype account and I have it loaded with cash from my credit card. It can then be used to make international phone calls at about 1 Baht a minute - good value, but I like to call from where I like, when I like and not tied to my computer... Skype works fine for me, but I much prefer to call from my mobile. So...

I now buy "ZayHi" credit from Se-ed book shops. They can be found in just about every supermarket mall (certainly here in Chiang Mai). Just ask for them at the counter (I think 300 Baht or 600 Baht - up tp you) and they either give you a plastic card or a printout from their machine. After that you just store the local access number in your phone and call this any time you want to make an international call. You do of course have to listen to the mesaage and press a few more buttons than a simple prefix (press two for English... enter your card number... dial the number that you require...) but I have never had anything other than a lovely clear line, and all for 1 Baht a minute to a UK land line. It works great for me. :jap:

Try buying a true move sim from 7 11, calls to most places from 1bt / min prefix 00600. works well

They often give these true move sims away at the airports. Like you said, they work well and is what I use. I have got many of them given to me going into samui but have never looked for them in Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the true move sim still work at 1b per min? I tired 00644then the number but got charge 7b for one minute as i only got an answer phone, perhaps there is a 7b connection charge then 1b per min there after?

Thanks

Have to dial 00600 then 44

Regards TD

I also think Skype is a pain in the posterior. I have a Skype account and I have it loaded with cash from my credit card. It can then be used to make international phone calls at about 1 Baht a minute - good value, but I like to call from where I like, when I like and not tied to my computer... Skype works fine for me, but I much prefer to call from my mobile. So...

Why are you tied to your computer ??

I use skype from my mobile, 20hrs internet access with AIS is 100b per month.

Skype for Symbian phones.

Edited by Spoonman

• 11 years later...

May I "bump" this thread to repeat the question from 12 years ago?  Surely some of you know the best inexpensive ways to call overseas, especially to U.S.

For years I dialed 1544, followed by 009 and could talk to U.S. via CAT for 0.9 baht / minute.  But apparently the money I had in the 1544 account expired after 12 months or such.   (I'd been using Facebook Messenger to talk.  But sometimes I want to talk to someone without Facebook!)  CAT offices are hard-to-find upcountry.

Does anyone know the rates to U.S. via 009, 008, 005500 prefixes etc.?  I suppose the info might be on-line but websites here are not always organized perfectly.

On 9/14/2010 at 2:20 PM, AndyPooots said:

Thanks for the reply but every time i try 0060044number i just get a thai msg and the phone cuts off, the uk number is valid on and working etc.

Cheers

I also use 00600 for the U.K. and Sometimes I also get a no connection problem however When that happens I try 006 and sometimes it works. Don’t ask why, I do not know.

However if you cal regular people get them to download LINE app and you do the same then you can talk as long as you like for free face to face.

I use it from the U.K. everyday to anywhere using data and or any internet connection without problems.
In the U.K. I use a off the shelf Sim like Labarra which piggy backs off a big name like Vodaphone and tether it to my 02 Sim and use the data on this Sim, I use two phones one on Labarra and the other on a regular Sim from 02 with minutes , text and 120 Gb data for £20 per month all in.

I can also call Thailand numbers using Labarra at 1 to 3 pence per minute but you must have a piggy back Sim with international calls because if you call using your every Sim you will be charged big time

So it cannot be beyond possibility to purchase a similar type Sim in any country and do the same..

There are many options so good luck.

6 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:

I also use 00600 for the U.K. and Sometimes I also get a no connection problem however When that happens I try 006 and sometimes it works. Don’t ask why, I do not know.

However if you cal regular people get them to download LINE app and you do the same then you can talk as long as you like for free face to face.

I use it from the U.K. everyday to anywhere using data and or any internet connection without problems.
In the U.K. I use a off the shelf Sim like Labarra which piggy backs off a big name like Vodaphone and tether it to my 02 Sim and use the data on this Sim, I use two phones one on Labarra and the other on a regular Sim from 02 with minutes , text and 120 Gb data for £20 per month all in.

I can also call Thailand numbers using Labarra at 1 to 3 pence per minute but you must have a piggy back Sim with international calls because if you call using your every Sim you will be charged big time

So it cannot be beyond possibility to purchase a similar type Sim in any country and do the same..

There are many options so good luck.

3 hours ago, bbko said:

DTAC is my provider and when I need to call the states, I use 00400, it's only 1 baht per minute.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/tourist-sim-international-call.html

Thank you!  The link shows "All dtac Tourist SIMs also provide special rate of international calls via 00400."  I have an ordinary AIS sim (or could borrow my son's True sim).  I guess that means no 00400 for me.  ?  ????