Bangkok Raises Security To High Alert After Blasts

webfact

Bangkok raises security to high alert after blasts

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand has put over 460 locations across Bangkok on high alert on Friday in response to a series of grenade attacks that have rattled nerves in a city still under emergency rule after deadly protests.

Royal palaces, key government buildings, power plants and public transport will receive special protection from the Centre for Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES), the body set up to monitor security since unrest in April.

Thousands of police, soldiers and city officials will swell Bangkok's security presence so that streets can be patrolled around the clock, starting late Friday.

"Government will mobilise thousands of personnel from the armed forces and police, both in uniform and plain clothes," CRES spokesman Major General Piya Uthayo said.

He said 130 locations, including those already targeted, were considered extremely high risk and continual patrols would operate within a 400 metre (1,320 feet) radius.

A further 198 places, such as the homes of key public figures, have been placed on a second level of high alert and will have checkpoints guarding access.

A third level of alert will be enforced at 136 locations such as banks and department stores, which will receive additional training for their private security staff.

Bangkok authorities now plan to upgrade thousands of security cameras across the city, boosting storage capacity so that images can be saved for one month.

Five bombings in little over a month, leaving one dead and thirteen injured, have unnerved Bangkok residents still recovering after April and May's "Red Shirt" protests.

The blasts -- at targets including Thailand's national TV centre and an apparent repeat attack at the King Power duty-free shopping outlet -- have also raised doubts over the speed at which emergency laws can be lifted in Bangkok.

The capital is one of seven areas still under the special rules introduced on April 7 as a response to the Red rallies that later left 91 people dead and about 1,900 injured in clashes between protesters and the army.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-09-03

CRES tightens security at 464 sites across Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) on Friday issued tightened security measures to prevent possible untoward incidents in the capital with a combined force of police and army deployed at 464 high-risk locations following recent grenade attacks.

Pol Maj-Gen Piya Uthayo, police spokesman, said after the Friday CRES meeting chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, that the centre has laid out a security plan to contain and prevent possible attacks in Bangkok.

The plan divided high-risk areas into three tiers; 130 very high risk locations which have already been targeted or areas which need the utmost security, such as royal compounds, homes of key public figures, the mass transit system and power distribution grids, said Gen Piya. About 10,000 security from police, military and and municipality civil servants are to be deployed.

The security forces will oversee the area surrounding each location within a 400-metre radius, while all closed circuit televisions will be improved and reinstalled.

The second tier comprises 198 specially-monitored locations including politically symbolic places, government buildings and the homes of public figures. At this stage, more checkpoints will be set up and the number of security personnel will be increased.

The third category is the remaining 136 spots including department stores and commercial banks across the capital, said the police spokesman.

Ten teams of special operations units to respond in case of any major incident are on standby, said Gen Piya, explaining that all measures will be adjusted due to the circumstances.

"CRES will meet the chiefs of nine metropolitan police divisions, the Army First Area, city law enforcement department, Special Branch police, mass transit system and other concerned agencies to lay out additional security measures.", said Gen Piya.

The police spokesman said the CRES also asked Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to examine the efficiency of nearly 3,000 closed circuit televisions (CCTV) across the city while Metropolitan Police reported that private firms which have installed their own CCTV systems will join the operation.

Gen Piya said there are 792 CCTV cameras at service stations, 2,533 at convenience stores, 1,908 at banks, 1,324 at gold shops and some 2,000 at internet cafes across Bangkok.

CRES also assigned the Ministry of Interior and the BMA to carry out more proactive measures at every level, seeking understanding and cooperation from local residents.

When asked whether the added tightened security measures have been launched due to warnings from intelligence agencies, the police spokesman said the CRES has thoroughly considered about the impact on people's daily activities and tourism industry, but agreed other big cities like New York and London have also applied similar measures for public safety.

The CRES move came in the wake of Tuesday M79 grenade attack at the National Broadcasting Services of Thailand (NBT) station, the latest attack in less than a week after a security guard on August 26 was seriously wounded by a grenade explosion on Rangnam Road near the King Power duty-free shopping complex in central Bangkok.

The series of bombings occurred as a state of emergency is still in place in the capital and other six provinces.

The opposition Puea Thai party also claimed that there will be a 'big sabotage' in Bangkok in September, but the government and the CRES dismissed the claim. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-09-03

I'm sorry, but I'm serious when I ask:

Why is it so hard to catch the perps?

Because the police are worthless...either lazy (i.e. no money in it for them), cooperating with the perps, or just plain incompetent. Really sad...

Still the police is improving. They're getting awfully good at showing / proving this grenade was of the type M79 propelled, rather than the manually tossed ones ;)

Because the police are worthless...either lazy (i.e. no money in it for them), cooperating with the perps, or just plain incompetent. Really sad...

Well, you can say that. And I was going to rant about how you always see dozens of police officers stampeding all over the crime scene.

But I choose to believe that there are actually serious and very competent people in the Thai police.

That, to me, opens the question of why there is not an intense pressure from the public and the press to have these cases resolved.

If police capacity/experience is a problem, then why not request foreign assistance? If only on technical issues.

Edited by schmutzie

Still the police is improving. They're getting awfully good at showing / proving this grenade was of the type M79 propelled, rather than the manually tossed ones ;)

You're right! Forgot about that one... :)

All countries have difficullty catching terrorists. Not sure why so many of you are singling out Thai police as being incompetent. USA have spent the last decade trying to capture Bin Laden and he's still on the run. And how much do think has been spent on that. If the USA can't capture one man after spending tens of billions of $s, is it surprising that most terrorists are hard to catch?

All countries have difficullty catching terrorists. Not sure why so many of you are singling out Thai police as being incompetent. USA have spent the last decade trying to capture Bin Laden and he's still on the run. And how much do think has been spent on that. If the USA can't capture one man after spending tens of billions of $s, is it surprising that most terrorists are hard to catch?

You think they are trying to catch him??????? I do think that if they really wanted to catch or kill him, they would have done that already

A bit different trying to catch a criminal in a country like Pakistan/Afganistan vs. Thailand/USA. How about that car bomb attempt in Times Square recently? Took them 1 day to catch the perp. Please read how they did it. Amazing. Really smart and talented guys. Here, they just don't have the motivation to do so. No money in it for them...or at least no political pressure.

And the US has not spent tens of billions just trying to capture bin Laden...they are also trying to save the world!!! :jap: :lol::blink:

Do you remember when they tried to catch that red shirt leader (Arisman) in that hotel? Police went there with a large team, but another police team (alerted to the raid by the police themselves) got their first and helped him out. Hard to fight justice when you have to actually "fight justice" itself! :( They don't call them "tomatoes" for nothing....

UPDATE

BIG BROTHER

Security to be stepped up in Bangkok

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_9962.jpg

The Centre for Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) has identified 464 spots in Bangkok as risky.

Of them, 130 are to have stringent security arrangement as they either have had high risks or utmost importance.

Among these spots are palatial compounds, key government offices, Skytrain stations, subway stations, transportation systems, and the residences of very important figures.

Emerging from a CRES meeting, National Police Office deputy spokesman Maj General Piya Utayo yesterday revealed about some of the security measures as public panic grew in the wake of recent bombing attacks in the heart of the capital.

Although Bangkok remained under the state of emergency, security measures had relaxed a bit since a resemblance of peace returned.

However, Piya yesterday made clear the CRES was preparing to step up security.

According to him, the 464 risky spots are to receive security arrangement based on their importance and risks involved.

"We have categorised them into three groups," he said.

The first group covered 130 spots with either high risks or utmost importance. For each place in this group, policemen, soldiers, city policemen will stay on guard 24 hours a day.

"Many are in plainclothes but many others are in uniforms," he said. "Patrols are to be conducted within the 400metre radius around each of these spots too. In addition, there will be secret surveillance".

Piya added that security cameras were also rearranged in a bid to boost security.

In the second group were 198 places, which relatively had a lower risk. Sitting in this group were government offices and residences of other highprofile figures.

"We have set up checkpoints and arranged patrols there," he said.

Piya said the third group covered 136 department stores, shopping centres and banks. According to him, authorities will focus on providing training to security officials at all these spots, and establishing effective communications channels for all relevant officials.

"In case a serious emergency arises, we have 10 taskforces on hand," Piya said.

He said soldiers from the First Army Region, policemen from the Metropolitan Police Bureau, and officials from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) were in charge of implementing this security plan.

BMA closedcircuit systems have now been installed at 2,928 locations across the capital. Thanks to the cooperation from private operators, the authorities are going to have the use of nearly 10,000 security cameras more for protecting people and properties capital too.

Piya said CRES would not just guard risky spots but would also take other preemptive measures such as the use of pressure tactics against groups prone to stage violence.

"We will investigate their activities," he said.

Moreover, he said the CRES was going to rely on psychological operations too.

According to him, BMA and the Interior Ministry are already instructed to take proactive measures in persuading people to help maintain peace and order.

"At the same time, relevant officials will speed up prosecution against those who give false information, or cause unnecessary panic to the public or social division," he said.

Asked whether the CRES had received tips off about plots to stage violent attacks, Pita said, "No. CRES just wants to make sure that people are safe and sound".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-04

A bit different trying to catch a criminal in a country like Pakistan/Afganistan vs. Thailand/USA. How about that car bomb attempt in Times Square recently? Took them 1 day to catch the perp. Please read how they did it. Amazing. Really smart and talented guys. Here, they just don't have the motivation to do so. No money in it for them...or at least no political pressure.

And the US has not spent tens of billions just trying to capture bin Laden...they are also trying to save the world!!! :jap: :lol::blink:

Do you remember when they tried to catch that red shirt leader (Arisman) in that hotel? Police went there with a large team, but another police team (alerted to the raid by the police themselves) got their first and helped him out. Hard to fight justice when you have to actually "fight justice" itself! :( They don't call them "tomatoes" for nothing....

So if the standard thinking is that the police are corrupt/implicated at some level/politically motivated/controlled, why are there no harsh questions being asked? If this was happening in the UK I would expect the Police Commissioner to have some very tough questions to answer.

What are the standards that Thai institutions are accountable to? I'm trying to be deliberately naive here. If I was Thai and paying my taxes I would really want to know why or what the police are or are not doing to uphold the law. This is in large part a job of the press.

The idea of posting security around 130 odd hot spots in a 400 meter radius is absurd. I don't think an M79 grenade is any less deadly if fired from 405 meters away. But that's not the point. The point is that there is so much "meat" already out there for any journalist to sink his teeth into.

Edited by schmutzie

dont you all remember the poll that was taken a few months ago....80% of the people polled said that corruption was ok....so when u have a figure like that what chance of a clean police force....BTW how many of the above posters have not given/paid the police for a traffic offence

Whats that old adage..."If there were no recievers there would no stealers " or something like that

The opposition Puea Thai Party supported the move to tighten security in Bangkok by the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES), party spokesman Jirayu Huangsap said on Saturday.

The CRES has on Friday put 464 locations in the capital deemed to be potential targets of attack under 24-hour surveillance.

The security scheme came after a grenade attack on the state-run NBT, or Channel 11, television station on Tuesday.

Mr Jirayu said his party had several times warned the government about possible violence, but the warning was ignored.

“When unrest took place, the government always blamed the red-shirt supporters of the United front for Democracy against Dictatorship. This is unfair for the red-shirts”, he said.

The spokesman called on the government to seriously keep a close watch on the situation and come up with stringent security measures to maintain peace and order.

From another place in BKK.

Wouldnt want to be unfair to the reds now would we after all they must be the fairest lilly white, sorry, red bunch around.

Well, you can say that. And I was going to rant about how you always see dozens of police officers stampeding all over the crime scene.

But I choose to believe that there are actually serious and very competent people in the Thai police.

That, to me, opens the question of why there is not an intense pressure from the public and the press to have these cases resolved.

If police capacity/experience is a problem, then why not request foreign assistance? If only on technical issues.

Well I doubt you have been here a long time to have made the above comment but whist I agree regarding competency within the Police ranks, simply the Police back the Reds as they are in the same 'poorhouse' but live on the promises of politicians like the convicted criminal Shinawatra for some hope of salvation!

Secondly if the Govt were for any reason, to engage international police to solve problems, it would be a huge loss of face, and that will never happen so for the time being we put up with the rabble of Red dissension, random bombings and hope that somewhere down the line a broom will be put through the 'system' of police, who are an absolute disgrace to a badge. If the Police had deployed and prevented barricades in the first instance there would have been no need for army and no deaths. A lot rests with them and even though I have a few friends in high places in the BiB, they are overwhelmed by those who care not about their public responsibilities in the same uniform. Majority rules - unfortunately.

• Like 1

Because Thaksin's influence is like a cancer in a metastatic way on Thailand and curing it depends on the main tumour being removed as soon as possible. Even if the tumour is now way down on the big toe that is Montenegro, it remains deadly and puts the whole of Thailand at risk. His zombies are still infectig parts of the govt, army, police and still will for years to come.

I think I mentioned I'm being deliberately naive. Sometimes it is good to start by asking "stupid questions".

I don't put corruption at the level of informal taxation at the same level as letting people die and terror rule.

Someone has to be held accountable, and if the police can not catch the one's that are, then I'm afraid they

need to answer some serious questions.

This is the job of the press and the public.

I suppose most of you have missed that several of the terrorist-elements, both actual bombers and planners, have been arrested during these events...

Yeah, I have because that obviously did not help prevent 6 bombings in a single month from happening.

Do you have some links? Thanks.

I suppose most of you have missed that several of the terrorist-elements, both actual bombers and planners, have been arrested during these events...

Yeah, I have because that obviously did not help prevent 6 bombings in a single month from happening.

Do you have some links? Thanks.

The last four would be

- Big C, Ratchaprasong, one dead, several wounded

- 2 * KingPower, Soi Rangnam, one wounded ?

- Channel-11 TV station

As for links, those who look with open eyes may find ;)

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1