Atm Skimming

bobo16000000

my girlfriend was a vitim of atm skimming her bank accvount at bangkok bank was inlegaly withdraw of bath thai20000 we made a police report n reported to the bangkokbank it took them more then 1 and a half month to get back to us and in the letter they wrote to us said that its not their fauth its my girlfriend who gave her card to someone to do the withdraw what bull shit this is ok even we went to the bangkok bank branch the official there even told us she was a vitim or atm skimming now bangkok bank refuse to give my girlfriend her money back what bull shit is this is bangkok bank run by the mafia or what its the bank fauth on not protecting the customer money and now they push the blame on their customer DONT DEPOSIT YOUR HARD EARN MONEY IN BANGKOK BANK "ITS NOT SAFE "PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!

I have been planing on opening an account with Bangkok Bank but now I need to think about it. First of all just so I can get a clear idea of what your talking about; The way you wrote your story it sounds like your girlfriend gave her ATM card and password to someone to make a with draw for her and they ended up taking an extra 20,000 baht out with out your girlfriends permission. Now because she willingly gave the card and pass code to someone the Bank is saying it is her fault that the person took out extra money. Is all this correct or have I missed something?

I'm not saying I agree in the Bangkok Bank's stand on this matter if that is what happened (some western banks would refund your loss in this case) I just want a clear understanding of what took place so I can better understand their policy on such matters.

Thank you for alerting us to this matter.

Edited by BarnicaleBob

I've been with Bangkok Bank for almost three years now and have never had a problem with them. I have the Be1st Valued Member card, which they issued to me after my first year with them. At the local branch where I do my banking I'm always greeted with friendly smiles, everyone knows my name, and they have never hesitated to help me with any problem or question I might have.

And, if I'm reading your OP correctly, your g/f gave her card and pass code to someone else to use, and if that is the case, and that is the person who took the extra money, then in reality the bank is NOT responsible, and it's an issue between your g/f and the person she gave the card and pass code to.

Edited by Just1Voice

I've been using Bangkok Bank ATM's for years now and I have never had a minutes trouble!! I do however always look at the ATM to make sure there is no skimming device fitted.  Simply putting your hand over the keyboard when you enter your pin number makes skimming almost impossible.<br>

My girlfriend just read an article on a popular thai website that many customers were reporting problems with their CDM (Cash Deposit Machine) transactions. The article listed numerous complaints from customers saying that they had made deposits however found out later that the recorded deposits were inconsistent with their CDM deposits. Many customers complained their accounts were short by thousands of baht. However, at the same time, none of the complaints listed included Bangkok Bank. I also have an account at Bangkok Bank and have yet to notice any problem. However, I would recommend that anyone using these machines double check their transactions with frequent updating of their bank books so that you have a hard copy of the transaction, just in case.

The practise of giving PIN numbers to friends and relatives seems very common in Thailand. Many a time I have stood in a queue at a Bangkok Bank ATM (business district) waiting for a girl looking like an office worker go through a fistfull of cards taking out a few hundred baht from each for her friends. I would think the temptation would be pretty great if one of her colleagues's boyfriends had just deposited 20,000 baht into one of the accounts.

I think the Bangkok Bank, and all other Thai banks are therefore very wary about claims for missing money. They put the onus on you to prove that you have been swindled.

PS 5 years with BB and never a problem.

So, did your girlfriend withdraw all the cash herself? Did she give the card to someone else? Did she give the PIN to someone else? Was there a cloning machine inside the ATM that copied her card and PIN? In all these scenarios the bank cannot be held responsible. I think it is very unfair to balme the bank.

Its a bit hard to follow the OP's post but I think it is the BANK that is suggesting that she gave the card to someone to withdraw the money, something which I don't think the OP agree's with.

OP loses me, I can't figure out, did the man who did the illegal withdraw have the ATM card and pin #? OP how do you suppose that happened? Does your GF keep the card and pin# together in her handbag and the man stole the bag? Confusing..........

The way you wrote your story it sounds like your girlfriend gave her ATM card and password to someone to make a with draw for her and they ended up taking an extra 20,000 baht out with out your girlfriends permission. Now because she willingly gave the card and pass code to someone the Bank is saying it is her fault that the person took out extra money. Is all this correct or have I missed something?

I'm not saying I agree in the Bangkok Bank's stand on this matter if that is what happened (some western banks would refund your loss in this case)....

You seriously think that if I give my ATM card and PIN code to a 3rd party to withdraw money for me, and later I complain to the bank that they took out more than agreed I will get a refund from a bank? You've got be kidding me.

Yes, the OP was a bit difficult to understand, but I also read it to mean that the bank is accusing his girlfriend of giving out her card to someone else, when in reality, she was the victim of ATM skimming. Right? I believe that ATM skimming is when a thief inserts a device into an ATM that reads (copies?) the account number....and sometimes the person peeks at the pin number.

OP,

Yes your post is very confusing and your profile does not show weather you are Thai or what your Nationality is so I am not attacking your English, however if you think this is a legitimate scam then maybe you can find a friend who is better at English to re-post here so we can all understand you.

Most people are not aware of BB's history on scams etc. It was only 3 years ago that custumers were scammed out of billions of baht and was in the news.

Their security system for lets say "disgruntled employees" was horrific. They could quit their job with the bank and still have access to anyones accounts just from their personal computer and their old passwords etc.

I think you can just google "Problems with Bangkok Bank" and the history will show.

Yes they might be easy to open an account with if foriegners do not have work permits etc but this also for me shows a lack of security.

Banks are like Lawyers.... need I say more.

I for one would like to see a more clear post from the OP on exactly what happened.

For the last thirteen or so years I have had various accounts with various Thai Banks and never had a single problem with ATM's, transfers, cash deposits, exchange rates, charges, and friendly service. And that must be well over 1,000 transactions over Thailand and Malaysia.

And on the other hand during the same period I have had several issues with UK banks, high charges, missing letters, obscene exchange rates (never, ever let a British bank exchange forex), slow antiquated transfer mechanisms (BACS - 3 working days, jeeze), arrogant and unhelpful service, and a plethora of procedures to open an account and make a transfer.

Thai banksthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

UK banksjerk.gifjerk.gif

Just thought I would try and balance out the OP, who, if I understood the sentence correctly, was involved in a case of self-inflicted opportunist theft.

OP,

Yes your post is very confusing and your profile does not show weather you are Thai or what your Nationality is so I am not attacking your English, however if you think this is a legitimate scam then maybe you can find a friend who is better at English to re-post here so we can all understand you.

Most people are not aware of BB's history on scams etc. It was only 3 years ago that custumers were scammed out of billions of baht and was in the news.

Their security system for lets say "disgruntled employees" was horrific. They could quit their job with the bank and still have access to anyones accounts just from their personal computer and their old passwords etc.

I think you can just google "Problems with Bangkok Bank" and the history will show.

Yes they might be easy to open an account with if foriegners do not have work permits etc but this also for me shows a lack of security.

Banks are like Lawyers.... need I say more.

I for one would like to see a more clear post from the OP on exactly what happened.

What does having a work permit have to do with bank security? There are plenty of people here legitimately as retirees, dependents of those that do have work permits, etc what would they do? And, it's not just Bangkok Bank, plenty of other banks open accounts for foreignors. Also, the problems with ATM's I've read about, haven't been limited to Bangkok Bank only.

And off course guys like these are busy and can't be bothered to fill out the account application. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/395474-two-serbians-arrested-for-bt43m-rayong-atm-robbery/B)

Edited by beechguy

If you have given your card to someone else to use then you are in breech of bank rules,which you got when you got the card, from every bank in the world , every one is told, don't give your card or pin to anybody , now if this is the case, you can kiss you 20 grand bht goodbye.

Just Googling "Bangkok Bank" and "ATM Skimming" revealed quite a few horror stories, not just involving BBL.

This one sounded painful

Form Bangkok Bank's ATM Security Guidelines item #12 caught my eye:

Apply for Bangkok Bank’s Be1st Smart Visa Debit card, Thailand’s first debit card to use EMV chip security technology, which is almost impossible to copy.

I'm glad I finally upgraded to this card; also change your PIN every 90 days.

And this nugget in Bangkok Bank's "Bank Fraud - Your Rights and Responsibilities"

4: Your card has been copied and is being used, but you have never given

the card or your PIN to anyone!

If your PIN is used correctly, then the bank has the right to assume that it is the

customer who has made the transactions. It is up to the customer to prove otherwise, by finding the fraudster. :o

Edited by lomatopo

Seriously people! I know the guy's post wasn't totally clear, but the first sentence clearly says: "my girlfriend was a vitim of atm skimming." Furthermore, he says "her account," so it's not that she's taking money out of HIS account.

If you don't know what that means, how about taking the time to look it up instead of jumping down the guy's throat and accusing him and his gf for being idiots for giving out their car & pin number? Here, this can get you started:

http://ezinearticles.com/?ATM-Skimming---What-is-It?&id=1718695

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/checking/skimming-the-cash-out-of-your-account-1.aspx

http://banking.about.com/od/securityandsafety/a/skimmers.htm

" ATM skimming" does NOT mean that you loan your card out and other people and they "skim," or take some for themselves!!!! I remember reading an article about the increase in skimming in Bangkok sometime last year. I will try to find a link if I can. It's a pretty high tech scam, so just because you didn't have problems 10, 20, 30 years ago does not mean that it's not a problem now!

Just Googling "Bangkok Bank" and "ATM Skimming" revealed quite a few horror stories, not just involving BBL.

This one sounded painful

Form Bangkok Bank's ATM Security Guidelines item #12 caught my eye:

Apply for Bangkok Bank's Be1st Smart Visa Debit card, Thailand's first debit card to use EMV chip security technology, which is almost impossible to copy.

I'm glad I finally upgraded to this card; also change your PIN every 90 days.

You beat me to it, and your links are way better....thanks!

I've been using Bangkok Bank ATM's for years now and I have never had a minutes trouble!! I do however always look at the ATM to make sure there is no skimming device fitted.  Simply putting your hand over the keyboard when you enter your pin number makes skimming almost impossible.<br>

I agree. Have been using Bangkok Bank for something like 15 years. No problems. Of course, caution is required with allowing access to your ATM cards by others or while using them yourself.

People who register with a message board solely for the purpose of ranting about some business may have credibility issues, especially when the complaint includes the somewhat libelous comment

what bull shit is this is bangkok bank run by the mafia
... or do I mean defamatory? Sometimes people have difficulty in accepting responsibility for problems they create for themselves.

Its a bit hard to follow the OP's post but I think it is the BANK that is suggesting that she gave the card to someone to withdraw the money, something which I don't think the OP agree's with.

OP loses me, I can't figure out, did the man who did the illegal withdraw have the ATM card and pin #? OP how do you suppose that happened? Does your GF keep the card and pin# together in her handbag and the man stole the bag? Confusing..........

How is this 'confusing'? The OP's first language seems not to be English, but even a halfwit can deduce from his post that the Bangkok Bank has refused to accept responsibility for stealing, yes, stealing, his gf's money and using the old 'you must have given your card and pin to someone else' ploy.

I too have had a Bangkok bank a/c for 12 years, they being the only Thai bank with a Foreign Currency Account facility, why's that then? Couldn't be anything to do with family that owns it could it::whistling: but prefer to use my Siam Commercial account as I've found the BB to be the most unhelpful, retarded bank here. And yes, I too had money kept by one of their bloody ATMs on Silom, but not such a large amount, and decided that attempting to recover it was simply not worth the hassle.

Edited by evanson

no the bank accuse my girlfriend of giving the card n password to someone thats bull shit ok my gf did a withdraw at bangkok bank in the mall bangkapi on the 8th n the inlegal withdraw was made on the 9th in it mall rachatdaphisek road near the fotune hotel in the cctv the bank said that a man did the withdraw n say that the man was very calm n the password is correct so they accuse my gf of giving the card n password to that guy thats bull shit ok

n the bank refuse to say that this is a case of atm skimming done n now all they say is they r not refuning the money n accuse my gf or doing the inlegal withdraw thats really bull shit

i wrote to all the newspaper n all the bank in thailand now we r going to bangkok bank n laid our case n if we dont get a refund wew will sue their ass off if anyone out there is a victim or atm skiming n the bank doesnot want to pay u come to me ok [email protected]