Chiang Mai Businesses Closing Or For Sale

tabs053

Actually you are right about the Fish Spa cunning! The first operators told me that they didn't expect the 'craze' to last for more than 6 months, by which time they had made tons of initial money (the first fish spa was packed 8 hours or more a day for about three months) and sold off 6 or 8 franchises and equipment...so they are laughing to the bank! But you are all right, business sucks right now. But as an eternal optimist, I think that I can feel things changing and a bit more energy in the market - naiive or positive, take your pick.

Lets hope your positive feeling about the market are right :D

I'm over in the UK at the moment and saw a fish spa in Kensington, a load of sloanes were in getting there feet nibbled, I won't tell you how much they charged because you would'nt believe me :unsure:

More than the cost of a PINT??:D

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just returned from a few days in Chiang Rai. The only thing worse than having sky high prices; is being too sensitive about it. I've almost decided that if there are no prices posted out front; It's not worth going in. I didn't come half way around the World to help some farang with his bad real estate investments in the States. Most of the farang owned businesses in Chiang Rai were empty, as of yesterday. Should be a good lesson to business owners in CNX--how not to run one.

For every business closing or failing I reckon 3 new ones are opening; some of which will fail. I have never lived anywhere in my life where the pace of development is as great as here in Chiang Mai. Even in the midst of a global recesssion.

Edited by lannarebirth

I just returned from a few days in Chiang Rai. The only thing worse than having sky high prices; is being too sensitive about it. I've almost decided that if there are no prices posted out front; It's not worth going in. I didn't come half way around the World to help some farang with his bad real estate investments in the States. Most of the farang owned businesses in Chiang Rai were empty, as of yesterday. Should be a good lesson to business owners in CNX--how not to run one.

Most of the C.R. farang owned businesses were empty, closed, out of business - whatever...more than 6 months ago. I was there around that time and it was like a ghost town with every other shop or restaurant vacant and bearing a for rent or for sale sign. Same for Thai owned businesses; i.e. massage shops, etc.

Most of the C.R. farang owned businesses were empty, closed, out of business - whatever...more than 6 months ago. I was there around that time and it was like a ghost town with every other shop or restaurant vacant and bearing a for rent or for sale sign. Same for Thai owned businesses; i.e. massage shops, etc.

Yeah, but that's just a logical result of Chiang Rai town being a pit. For a long time they got visitors solely on the assumption that becuase it's further away from Bangkok and has "Chiang" in the name, it must therefore be more 'authentic' and less touristed version of Chiang Mai. Well, LOL to that, as anyone who has visited can confirm.

EDIT: Just in case any newbies are reading this and want me to spell it out: It's a bog standard Thai provincial town like any other where there's just less of anything a visitor may want to see and do. It's set in flat farm fields for as far as you can see so getting to mountains and things actually takes more work than from Chiang Mai. Their tourism claim to fame is the "Golden Triangle", a name misappropriated by the tourist industry to build a mini night bazar with plastic tourist junk at the spot where Thailand borders Burma and Laos but is completely unremarkable in every other way.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There were tremendous mountain views from the 7th floor condo I looked at. It's a valley. But...The tourist area is about as raunchy as it gets. Makes Thapae Gate look 100% pleasant. I got a room for 200, it seemed like I was the only guest. I did find laundry for 20 thb per Kg, and they did a great job. Internet is mostly 30 per hour, sometimes 40. Tons of shops selling things the Thais would never, ever buy (especially at those prices). I like massage, and have nothing against massage shops--but there are 20 times too many. They seem to have cleverly set the price at 200 per hour (fixed), but the only "customers" seemed to be farang owners sitting in front of their (girlfriend's) shops. I did discover the area near the old airport, which is now a great place to excercise. There were also some shops with plastic chairs, where one could sit and drink a few at 7-11 prices and meet some Thais. I also went to two restaurants in that area. The fishing place wasn't too good, but there was another place around the corner, where I was the only farang. The squid salad was perfect, and the waitress (an accounting major) was a trophy. What's funny is at both places my bill was less than expected. No arguements here.

I probably should have posted in the Chiang Rai forum, but didn't want to start a battle with some folks, who are clearly desperate.

We have established that Farang owned Tgf ran businesses nearly all pretty much go down the scrap heap. 5 years ago from the 20+ odd guys doing this I can now find only 1 left with his women and they expanded- although on a small scale.

So the odds are less than 1 in 20 you will last more than 5 years in business in Thailand with a thai spouse- in my mind. So those opening a business to supposedly 'Keep the misses out of trouble OR for you to get away with more trouble'- I have seen the end of this story end off mostly for the worse. I think it is challenging enough to try get to know and stay with your women, then to add trying to make a few $$$ via a business in a completely different business environment.

You are asking for disaster IMO and an easy way for you to remove yourself of the assets you have built up. As running a business that is losing money can drain you financially very very fast. As I have experienced here and back home in Aussie.

I am still amazed to see most do not heed the warnings of others. Open up shop then they choof off with some excuse 3 months later- someone is making GREAT $$$ FROM THIS TURNOVER. Thai owners get to sell for Key money again.

Between 2004-06 I saw Rose GH change hands a half a dozen times. I heard this Landlord was very abrupt in trying to get the biz owners to break the lease. So they can once again get Key money. They all know it is better if a Farang takes off so they can get Key money again.

I see it very difficult environment to operate in even if you been hear for over a decade, know the language and culture- still difficult. So many novices start up shop with so little chance to get their money back- well that is what I have seen in the last 10 years.

More often than not- a girl breaks them or they playing around so the girl breaks them on purpose.

Many long termers must have seen the same in CMai- whether the guys are in their 20s or 80s... it always seems a matter of time before they are broken. I am sure there are a few exceptions to the rule and will like to try their luck with odds far worse than 20 to 1. Then I wish you the best of luck.

I have also seen several Farang partners break apart over doing business in CMai- more often than not the guys indiscretions is to blame with all the fresh meat being thrown at him. So it is a challenging environment work wise- play wise it is great. Do not mix the 2, unless u have it down to a fine art IMO.

Would the partners have broken apart if not in this environment with the pressures of business- who knows... Something that especially newbys should consider in depth. Most Lters know the score and should know better IMO.

Edited by jayinoz

I agree with the negative statement in regards to CRai- I have heard it to be a dog eat dog sort of town. It is a tourist trap. Like most only bother dropping in on their way or back from a border run. Without border runs it would be a nothing town IMO.

Compared this to the many other beautiful towns in Thailand- CRai is a DOG of a town. Do not even bother.

Fang, Nan, Mai Hong Son are far better experiences, IMO. Business wise you still talking about a different culture thus business culture- same challenges. Same issues... no matter where in Thailand and SE Asia for that matter.

Edited by jayinoz

We have established that Farang owned Tgf ran businesses nearly all pretty much go down the scrap heap. 5 years ago from the 20+ odd guys doing this I can now find only 1 left with his women and they expanded- although on a small scale.

So the odds are less than 1 in 20 you will last more than 5 years in business in Thailand with a thai spouse- in my mind. So those opening a business to supposedly 'Keep the misses out of trouble OR for you to get away with more trouble'- I have seen the end of this story end off mostly for the worse. I think it is challenging enough to try get to know and stay with your women, then to add trying to make a few $$$ via a business in a completely different business environment.

You are asking for disaster IMO and an easy way for you to remove yourself of the assets you have built up. As running a business that is losing money can drain you financially very very fast. As I have experienced here and back home in Aussie.

I am still amazed to see most do not heed the warnings of others. Open up shop then they choof off with some excuse 3 months later- someone is making GREAT $$$ FROM THIS TURNOVER. Thai owners get to sell for Key money again.

Between 2004-06 I saw Rose GH change hands a half a dozen times. I heard this Landlord was very abrupt in trying to get the biz owners to break the lease. So they can once again get Key money. They all know it is better if a Farang takes off so they can get Key money again.

I see it very difficult environment to operate in even if you been hear for over a decade, know the language and culture- still difficult. So many novices start up shop with so little chance to get their money back- well that is what I have seen in the last 10 years.

More often than not- a girl breaks them or they playing around so the girl breaks them on purpose.

Many long termers must have seen the same in CMai- whether the guys are in their 20s or 80s... it always seems a matter of time before they are broken. I am sure there are a few exceptions to the rule and will like to try their luck with odds far worse than 20 to 1. Then I wish you the best of luck.

I have also seen several Farang partners break apart over doing business in CMai- more often than not the guys indiscretions is to blame with all the fresh meat being thrown at him. So it is a challenging environment work wise- play wise it is great. Do not mix the 2, unless u have it down to a fine art IMO.

Would the partners have broken apart if not in this environment with the pressures of business- who knows... Something that especially newbys should consider in depth. Most Lters know the score and should know better IMO.

All valid points and pretty much agree, I've been here long enough to know the score and have first hand experience of a failed business though my wife wasn't involved.

Would be interested to know if the 20+ farang/tgf business's were all geared towards the tourist market?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking to set the wife up in a business that will be geared towards the Thai market at some point in the future.

It's always interesting to hear of people that set up businesses "to keep the missus out of trouble".

One wonders what the missus did before they met their husband..........nothing? :whistling:

My missus is busy looking after the little one at the moment once the two kids are both of school age, she'll start bringing in some baht - hopefully :D

It's always interesting to hear of people that set up businesses "to keep the missus out of trouble".

One wonders what the missus did before they met their husband..........nothing? :whistling:

We all know what the 'miss' was up to before we came along, now they are 'our missus' we don't want them continuing those activities thankyou!

We all know what the 'miss' was up to before we came along, now they are 'our missus' we don't want them continuing those activities thankyou!

Removed my response. The post above disgusts me, but life is too short to get involved with anonymous keyboard warriors...

Edited by OOB

With the arrogant attitudes of some business owners, no wonder they are going down.

Two nights ago I visited the Olde Bell restaurant in the Loi Kroh road. It was 7.00pm and there were two Thai women staff working behind the counter. Before I ordered my meal I asked the woman if they have a scheme where Chiang Mai residents receive discount because I have heard this mentioned from some friends. The woman said she doesn’t know. I asked if it is possible to chat with the boss. She replied, no, he would be down at 7.30pm. I said, I would not be here at 7.30pm. She mumbled on that he is up stairs in his flat. I asked please can you ask him to have a quick chat with me. No she said, he is with his wife at the moment.

I sat down at a table, ordered a meal, then it meal arrived. The fat staff Thai woman was busy flirting with some young American guy sitting at the counter the only other customer. He was smoking, so I lit up a cigarette. A woman member of staff approached me and said, no smoking here, put that cigarette out. I ate the meal and paid the bill. I was short changed by 300 baht, which I got back when I brought this to her notice and the woman apologised. On my way out she said, there have been many customers like me with the same question, I will let the boss know. Then I went.

Let me make this clear that I was polite and curious at all times. It seemed I hit a nerve when I inquired about the discount scheme and after that I was to be ignored in the hope that I will go away.

Well, if that’s the attitude and the owners can’t be bothered to put themselves out for their customers, they can keep it.

Given your short arms and long pockets (200 Baht per day food allowance for 4 humans and 2 dogs?) I am at a loss how you ever managed to get laid before you snagged this one.

How do I ever get laid, easy, I am 'very hansum man' :)

Can't imagine why my post disgusts you?

Thailand is one of the most sexually liberated countries in the world, everyone is having lovers and random sexual partners whether married or not (and at all levels of society). The more free time the ladies have, the more chance there is of them taking an extra lover (or two).

Edited by sarahsbloke

Given your short arms and long pockets (200 Baht per day food allowance for 4 humans and 2 dogs?) I am at a loss how you ever managed to get laid before you snagged this one.

How do I ever get laid, easy, I am 'very hansum man' :)

Can't imagine why my post disgusts you?

Thailand is one of the most sexually liberated countries in the world, everyone is having lovers and random sexual partners whether married or not. The more free time the ladies have, the more chance there is of them taking an extra lover (or two).

Well you stated that everyone's other half was doing something that you'd not want them to do once married. I fundamentally disagree with your blinkered approach to life and marriage here which you seem to base off of your own experiences (6-7 physical attacks by women?).

As to your response to my earlier deleted post, it speaks volumes that you concentrate on the 'getting laid' bit rather than the 'short arms and long pockets'. I'd be horrified if somebody implied that I was tighter than a duck's arse, but you seem to revel in it. I pity the bride, and the child that won't be sent to a proper school because skinflint does not want to be 'elitist'.

With the arrogant attitudes of some business owners, no wonder they are going down.

Two nights ago I visited the Olde Bell restaurant in the Loi Kroh road. It was 7.00pm and there were two Thai women staff working behind the counter. Before I ordered my meal I asked the woman if they have a scheme where Chiang Mai residents receive discount because I have heard this mentioned from some friends. The woman said she doesn’t know. I asked if it is possible to chat with the boss. She replied, no, he would be down at 7.30pm. I said, I would not be here at 7.30pm. She mumbled on that he is up stairs in his flat. I asked please can you ask him to have a quick chat with me. No she said, he is with his wife at the moment.

I sat down at a table, ordered a meal, then it meal arrived. The fat staff Thai woman was busy flirting with some young American guy sitting at the counter the only other customer. He was smoking, so I lit up a cigarette. A woman member of staff approached me and said, no smoking here, put that cigarette out. I ate the meal and paid the bill. I was short changed by 300 baht, which I got back when I brought this to her notice and the woman apologised. On my way out she said, there have been many customers like me with the same question, I will let the boss know. Then I went.

Let me make this clear that I was polite and curious at all times. It seemed I hit a nerve when I inquired about the discount scheme and after that I was to be ignored in the hope that I will go away.

Well, if that’s the attitude and the owners can’t be bothered to put themselves out for their customers, they can keep it.

How was the food? I've never eaten there but, until your post, have considered it. Now I'm curious. Was the food good, fair or poor?

What country do the resturaunt owners run back early from their meal break for a minor query?

As to your response to my earlier deleted post, it speaks volumes that you concentrate on the 'getting laid' bit rather than the 'short arms and long pockets'. I'd be horrified if somebody implied that I was tighter than a duck's arse, but you seem to revel in it. I pity the bride, and the child that won't be sent to a proper school because skinflint does not want to be 'elitist'.

Nasty comments from trolls or nutters don't really horrify or bother me that much, and my easy-going attitude to life seems to go down rather well with the ladies in these regions, that means I don't have to spend so much money to snag one as those less desirable expats.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Two nights ago I visited the Olde Bell restaurant in the Loi Kroh road. It was 7.00pm and there were two Thai women staff working behind the counter. Before I ordered my meal I asked the woman if they have a scheme where Chiang Mai residents receive discount because I have heard this mentioned from some friends. The woman said she doesn't know. I asked if it is possible to chat with the boss. She replied, no, he would be down at 7.30pm. I said, I would not be here at 7.30pm. She mumbled on that he is up stairs in his flat. I asked please can you ask him to have a quick chat with me. No she said, he is with his wife at the moment.

Well, if that's the attitude and the owners can't be bothered to put themselves out for their customers, they can keep it.

How was the food? I've never eaten there but, until your post, have considered it. Now I'm curious. Was the food good, fair or poor?

I have been there 4 times and never seen the boss in attendance. The food is reasonably priced, good value and not bad for the money. I have no complaints except for the couldn`t care less attitude of the staff. Or maybe I`m just not young and handsome enough to be worthy of their attention or to be considered as a valued customer as was the young American guy sitting there smoking and drinking the other night.

That was enough for me, I felt degraded after I left, there will not be a next time as far as I am concerned. Others may enjoy it in there, good for them.

Still wish the owner good luck and success with the restaurant, because I am on the side of the small business owners, but there is a lot of room for improvements and a little more effort, especially on the user friendly front.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Two nights ago I visited the Olde Bell restaurant in the Loi Kroh road. It was 7.00pm and there were two Thai women staff working behind the counter. Before I ordered my meal I asked the woman if they have a scheme where Chiang Mai residents receive discount because I have heard this mentioned from some friends. The woman said she doesn't know. I asked if it is possible to chat with the boss. She replied, no, he would be down at 7.30pm. I said, I would not be here at 7.30pm. She mumbled on that he is up stairs in his flat. I asked please can you ask him to have a quick chat with me. No she said, he is with his wife at the moment.

Well, if that's the attitude and the owners can't be bothered to put themselves out for their customers, they can keep it.

I have been there 4 times and never seen the boss in attendance. The food is reasonably priced, good value and not bad for the money. I have no complaints except for the couldn`t care less attitude of the staff. Or maybe I`m just not young and handsome enough to be worthy of their attention or to be considered as a valued customer as was the young American guy sitting there smoking and drinking the other night.

That was enough for me, I felt degraded after I left, there will not be a next time as far as I am concerned. Others may enjoy it in there, good for them.

Still wish the owner good luck and success with the restaurant, because I am on the side of the small business owners, but there is a lot of room for improvements and a little more effort, especially on the user friendly front.

It sounds as if you had bad experiences at The Olde Belle, certainly enough to put you off going back.

The owner always says on this forum "bring it to my attention if you are not satisfied" - did you try that?

It sounds as if you had bad experiences at The Olde Belle, certainly enough to put you off going back.

The owner always says on this forum "bring it to my attention if you are not satisfied" - did you try that?

I was not dissatisfied with anything; it was only a general inquiry. There were no arguments or impoliteness on my side. And as the staff pointed out, the boss was upstairs in his flat, there was no way he was going to come down and see me unless I was prepared to wait for half an hour until he turned up. It was just the you are a nuisance go away attitude of the staff that spoilt the evening for me.

I have no wish to make a big deal out of this, or discredit anyone`s business. I have made my point, maybe the boss will take note.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I was not dissatisfied with anything; it was only a general inquiry. There were no arguments or impoliteness on my side. And as the staff pointed out, the boss was upstairs in his flat, there was no way he was going to come down and see me unless I was prepared to wait for half an hour until he turned up. It was just the you are a nuisance go away attitude of the staff that spoilt the evening for me.

I have no wish to make a big deal out of this, or discredit anyone`s business. I have made my point, maybe the boss will take note.

I certainly don't think you've made a big deal at all regarding your experience at The Olde Belle.

No-one wants to feel like a nuisance, singled out for smoking if another is doing it, or short changed 300 Baht. :(

It's these sorts of problems that drive customers away, never to return, so my guess is the owner (if he cares) will be along at some point, with some comments of his own.

Just another few points.

I am in the people business where the level of customer satisfaction could mean; my employer stays in business or goes down. I have worked all over the world and have over 40 years experience of people dealing and customer relationships. Tomorrow I go to Bangkok, in 2 weeks off to Spain (head office) for a month and maybe back to Thailand via Hong Kong. Thailand being my home base, when I'm not travelling away on business.

Myself, when visiting a restaurant, bar or any business establishment, the quality of services is as important as the products they sell. If they want to succeed, then they must try harder and put more effort into it. This goes all around the board.

In these turbulent times of economic down turn, there are even more reasons for business owners to keep tabs on their staff, be on the scene and to ensure customer satisfaction so that they will want to return and continue using their services. There is no place for haughtiness in business these days, I have noticed this too much in places I have visited.

If the restaurants in Chiang Mai are struggling to keep afloat and already bending over backwards to please their customers, then in future they will have to bend over front ways, side ways and backwards if they want to remain in business. Money is tight all round, we are getting less for our dollars, euros and pounds. Customers are expecting more for their hard earned ever devaluing cash. One way of doing this is to ensure customers feel valued and service with a smile. This cost nothing, only requires a little more effort.

The business owners should look and research as to why their profits have dropped and ask if there is anything wrong with the ways they conduct business, other then blaming the red shirts, poor exchange rates and lack of tourists.

They had everything in their favor during the good times, now they must learn to adapt during the hard times.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Two nights ago I visited the Olde Bell restaurant in the Loi Kroh road. It was 7.00pm.....

............ I asked if it is possible to chat with the boss. She replied, no, he would be down at 7.30pm. I said, I would not be here at 7.30pm.

a flying visit? order a meal, eat it, pay and be out in 30 mins.

maybe he was having a nap wheres the rush.

I have to say that I expected Millwill to join in here but seeing that he appears to be either fed up or taking a break and KH hasn't yet shown himself, I might throw in my 2 cents.

I am always trying to figure out why customers seem to think they deserve to be treated to extra special care. It's one thing if you get it but it is another to expect it.

The discount card the Olde Belle distributes has been brought up time and time again here on this forum and I would think that a poster with 240 posts would have learned his way around the forum. You mentioned it and the staff wasn't sure what you were talking about. No surprise there. The staff probably didn't understand you because what the Olde Belle does is issue a Gold Card that entitles the holder to a discount. So you got it wrong and you asked wrong. They probably thought you were some bum, not that you are a bum, asking for a discount.

You asked for the owner and he was taking a break. The owner doesn't deserve a break and should be in his establishment 24/7? They probably didn't want to get him for some bum, not that you are a bum, that was asking for a discount.

You lit up a cigarette in the restaurant and were asked to put it out. Then they really thought you were a bum, not that you are. You lit up a cigarette? Why would you light up a cigarette when you know it is against the law? Do you realize that you can get the establishment fined?

The staff made a mistake on the bill and when you pointed it out to them they corrected it. That sounds all well and normal to me.

So take a deep breath and chalk it all up to a few very basic mistakes that you made and don't worry. Go back some time after 7:30, ask for the owner and then report back here. I'm sure everything will be alright.

Edited by getgoin

I have to say that I expected Millwill to join in here but seeing that he appears to be either fed up or taking a break and KH hasn't yet shown himself, I might throw in my 2 cents.

I am always trying to figure out why customers seem to think they deserve to be treated to extra special care. It's one thing if you get it but it is another to expect it.

The discount card the Olde Belle distributes has been brought up time and time again here on this forum and I would think that a poster with 240 posts would have learned his way around the forum. You mentioned it and the staff wasn't sure what you were talking about. No surprise there. The staff probably didn't understand you because what the Olde Belle does is issue a Gold Card that entitles the holder to a discount. So you got it wrong and you asked wrong. They probably thought you were some bum, not that you are a bum, asking for a discount.

You asked for the owner and he was taking a break. The owner doesn't deserve a break and should be in his establishment 24/7? They probably didn't want to get him for some bum, not that you are a bum, that was asking for a discount.

You lit up a cigarette in the restaurant and were asked to put it out. Then they really thought you were a bum, not that you are. You lit up a cigarette? Why would you light up a cigarette when you know it is against the law? Do you realize that you can get the establishment fined?

The staff made a mistake on the bill and when you pointed it out to them they corrected it. That sounds all well and normal to me.

So take a deep breath and chalk it all up to a few very basic mistakes that you made and don't worry. Go back some time after 7:30, ask for the owner and then report back here. I'm sure everything will be alright.

Thanks for this, getgoing and that`s exactly what I will do. When I return to Chiang Mai, I will again visit the Olde Bell with some friends just to get their opinions of the place as well, that is if I am not banned for my comments and will report back here and let you know if things have changed for the better.

Thanks for this, getgoing and that`s exactly what I will do. When I return to Chiang Mai, I will again visit the Olde Bell with some friends just to get their opinions of the place as well, that is if I am not banned for my comments and will report back here and let you know if things have changed for the better.

It sounds as if you are now not sure about your experience at The Olde Belle and instead are worried about being banned.:huh:

Why do you need your friends to tell you if it's an OK place or not......and if you are banned, don't you know there's a zillion other restaurants in Chiang Mai?

I'm not with Beetlejuice all the way on this one but when he says

" The business owners should look and research as to why their profits have dropped and ask if there is anything wrong with the ways they conduct business, other then blaming the red shirts, poor exchange rates and lack of tourists.

They had everything in their favor during the good times, now they must learn to adapt during the hard times. " he is spot on. Applies to garden centres, massage parlours, book shops too though, where farang owned.

The world does not owe a farang businrssman in chiangmai a living. It's a competitive world; put your customer first and grow your business from there.

I accept some farangs have higher overheads and may pay bigger tea money but they need to look at how their thai competitors do it.

I buy second hand books from thai markets 25 baht. maybe 50 baht 80 baht depending on size. Why pay more in a farang bookstore. There are Thai restaurants that also do western food but they charge only a little over thai prices. If it works for them why can't the farang businesses do it.

The advantage for farang businesses is that they often serve a closed market where their farang customers do not shop around and do not reason the prices are at a significant premium.

caf

Good for you Beetlejuice. I think you will find that Petre will be more than happy to make sure that you are a satisfied customer. I also have to agree with Caf and Beetlejuice about foreign owned businesses and how they should work to figure out why their businesses are suffering and what they can do to improve.

I have to say however that the red shirts, the coup and the world economic situation and the strong Baht have all contributed to less tourists and less disposable income for westerners in Chiang Mai. This directly affects businesses that cater to foreigners and there are many. The businesses that are doing OK right now are the businesses that cater to Thais or have a good proportion of Thais as customers. My suggestion to anyone who wants to do a business in Thailand has always been to find something that you can market to Thais. After all this is their country.

Thai business is growing and Thais have more disposable income than ever. Take a look around and try to figure out what does Thailand not have that they have somewhere else and discern if it would work here. Do substantial investment and marketing. That is not to say that you have to invest a fortune.

Leave the small bars and restaurants to ex bar girls.

There are plenty of car washes around now but are there any that do a proper wax and detail? Plenty of Burmese workers to do the wax. I've always thought that a series of small markets from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai that look like a small grocery stores with the basics, produce and meat would do well and the supply logistics would be feasible and economical. Anyone ever go into a 7-11 and look for a drink that wasn't so sweet it would melt your teeth? How about a Snapple? A Snapple or Arizona Tea in all the 7-11s in country would do well. These are the directions that foreigners who want to live and stay in country should be looking.

Some take a bit of investment but mostly they take drive, initiative and hard work. Anyone who is anybody put in a lot of hard work to get where they are at. Dreaming helps.

Edited by getgoin