Religions - Who's what

lampard10

Which religion do you belong to.  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the light of all the troubles in the World, I thought it would be nice to find out who worships which religion. Maybe it's been done before, maybe it hasn't, but I do not want people flaming other religions, . It would be really nice to see that contributions to TV Forum come from all walks of life and religions.

With respect, Lampy, I feel there is a misunderstanding in the formulation of the question - people don't worship a religion (OK some fundamentalists and fanatics might), but people worship "something else" from within a particular religion.

I wrote something about conversion in the Buddhist forum, which might explain what I am trying to say:

The heart of Judeo-Christian tradition is this:

1. to love God with all your heart and mind and soul.

2. to love your neighbour as yourself

The heart of Buddhist tradition is this:

1. to lead a moral life,

2. to be mindful and aware of thoughts and actions, and

3. to develop wisdom and understanding.

The Dalai Lama once said, “Lord Buddha is my door; Lord Jesus is your door.”

Doors can close things in. Many are closed within their tradition, often concentrating too much on themselves as identified within these traditions, never really opening their door to begin upon the journey of spiritual exploration all traditions offer.

But when we do open the doors we discover that they open up for us many different opportunities for travel. We see there are numerous alternatives for our journey just as there are countless methods of travelling. The destinations will be defined differently. The maps used, will reflect the terrain and its difficulties with varying degrees of accuracy. But we begin either on foot, or bicycle, car, ship, plane etc. each method of transport suitable for particular geographical hazards – some highly unsuitable. Often we choose incorrectly. Sometimes we make the correct choice only to find we have to change during the course of the journey. The hazards we meet will be similar but unique for each one of us. All of these alternatives reflect our individual differences, the denominations of Christianity and their theologies, the varying types of Buddhism and their discourses, the different interpretations of the Jewish tradition etc. All points of view: from fundamentalism through to mysticism and beyond.

So, IMHO, all you are asking of us is which method of transport do we choose to help us come to terms with the only inevitability in our life - our death.

Hear endeth the lesson.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those who know don't talk...those who talk don't know. :o

True.

And from yet another of my many sermons on the mount of Thaivisa:

I cannot argue with you because I do not know.

You have your way and I have mine.

I have written what I believe and have experienced of the two traditions; the Truth lies in the Judaic-Christian tradition as does the Truth also in the Buddhist way.

Nothing will prevent the Truth being revealed within these traditions but that thinking makes it so.

The emperor, who was a devout Buddhist, invited a great Zen master to the Palace in order to ask him questions about Buddhism. "What is the highest truth of the holy Buddhist doctrine?" the emperor inquired.

"Vast emptiness... and not a trace of holiness," the master replied.

"If there is no holiness," the emperor said, "then who or what are you?"

"I do not know," the master replied.

True.

I have written what I believe and have experienced of the two traditions; the Truth lies in the Judaic-Christian tradition as does the Truth also in the Buddhist way.

Nothing will prevent the Truth being revealed within these traditions but that thinking makes it so.

The emperor, who was a devout Buddhist, invited a great Zen master to the Palace in order to ask him questions about Buddhism. "What is the highest truth of the holy Buddhist doctrine?" the emperor inquired.

Praise the teacher willing to teach the fools. :D

Bless the fool who teaches the teacher. :D

True.

Never give cheek to a taxi driver. :D

True.

Never give cheek to a taxi driver. :D

Oh ###### no....or a cop, they really don't like that.

C of E but to be honest i don't really believe or practise anything. :D

Commerce? :o

He means Church of England.

I know it's tough for a sweaty sock but the " i really don't believe or practise anything'" line was answered, tongue-in-cheek w/'commerce', as Dave in the commercial Pub business? :D

I'd love to know what the people who chose Other, and not Agnostic or Atheist, are... Any Wiccans here? Taoists? Shintoists? Chinese-general-veneration-of-ancestors-ists? Tribal/animist traditions? er... that's all I can think of.

They've already admitted to being "Changists" :D

Not a big fan of changists. I prefer Leoism. :D:D:o

I prefer a Rum & Catholic myself. :D

I'd love to know what the people who chose Other, and not Agnostic or Atheist, are... Any Wiccans here? Taoists? Shintoists? Chinese-general-veneration-of-ancestors-ists? Tribal/animist traditions? er... that's all I can think of.

I prefer a Rum & Catholic myself. :D

Buddha Mai Tai is quite enlightening. :D

I know it's tough for a sweaty sock but the " i really don't believe or practise anything'" line was answered, tongue-in-cheek w/'commerce', as Dave in the commercial Pub business? :D

And my reply was tongue in cheek. Sweaty Sock !!!. That's rich from a Septic tank.

And my reply was tongue in cheek. Sweaty Sock !!!. That's rich from a Septic tank.

tut..tut..boys - no Jihads, Crusades or Inquisitions here, please.

Now Now! Three things that shouldn't, in my mind, be discussed on TV.

Religion, Politics and Socks. :D

:D:D:D

This one seems to have slipped past, I enjoyed it though!

By the way Lamps, have you forgotten Onanists? There do seem to be a few around. :D

:D:D:D

This one seems to have slipped past, I enjoyed it though!

By the way Lamps, have you forgotten Onanists? There do seem to be a few around. :D

Makes your hair fall out. :D