Birds Of Prey On Samui?

was trying to search for a BB/pellet gun to start doing the work of the missing snakes and predatory birds on the island and became curious if anyone has seen (in the past or present) any falcons, hawks, owls,eagles etc. that are known to exist around these parts?

were they on the isaan workers menu along with the squirrels?

my yard and house is getting overrun by all of the common varieties of birds and the bastards are flying through my open doors like they own the place. my yard has enough trees and birds to make a falcon happy for generations but it's getting to be a bit much, anyone know where to get a pellet gun around here? i intend to ruffle some feathers.

methinks wikipedia lists dozens of predatory birds in thailand. mealsothinks i've never seen one here in the islands. i'd understand if no one has seen an owl.

Sea eagles swooping over Choeng Mon late afternoon....a lovely sight....:)

now we're getting somewhere. with all of the hills and consistent sea breeze i'd expect to have seen something inland catching a draft and yet while i live on the beach with hills immediately behind me, i can't remember ever seeing any.

Seen them flying over Bophut hills.

rooo, any idea what type of bird you have seen? genuinely curious here, watching falcons and hawks get to work is pretty cool. i'm thinking about having a local woodworker make a life sized hawk that i can fasten to my roof top.

methinks wikipedia lists dozens of predatory birds in thailand. mealsothinks i've never seen one here in the islands. i'd understand if no one has seen an owl.

OK people - get out of Chewang.

Like Smokie and Rooo, I and my neighbours,friends and staff have seen LOTS of sea eagles, kites and a few owls. The sea eagles are usually in pairs. Sightings are at least once a month. Area is Choeng Mon and Plai Laem.

For you mammally people, we also see dolphins in the early months of the year.

For the faint of heart - yes we also get cobras and scorpions, the occasional python, a few monitor lizards and that nasty little buuggeer the centipede.

Not seen a pink elephant nor a flying pig yet - but I have met an honest BIB

i've lived between the beach and hills of bang por for years and haven't seen any, further evidenced by my yard and local area being infested by hundreds of smaller birds. in the past i'd see a tree snake climbing one of the coconut trees around once per month but now haven't seen any snake in my rural area for perhaps 6 months. i did see dolphins about one month ago when i took one of my boats into the marine park but unfortunately they weren't available to come to my house and rid it of the birds which are quickly becoming a nuisance. around two years ago i did find and photograph a 6ft monitor lizard but he too was unavailable for bird duty.

will add kites and owls to the list of actual predators actually seen on samui...

OK people - get out of Chewang.

Like Smokie and Rooo, I and my neighbours,friends and staff have seen LOTS of sea eagles, kites and a few owls. The sea eagles are usually in pairs. Sightings are at least once a month. Area is Choeng Mon and Plai Laem.

For you mammally people, we also see dolphins in the early months of the year.

For the faint of heart - yes we also get cobras and scorpions, the occasional python, a few monitor lizards and that nasty little buuggeer the centipede.

Not seen a pink elephant nor a flying pig yet - but I have met an honest BIB

I used to have these twirly sticks, fluoro shiny colours hanging in the branches & they used to keep the birds away. Next time I go to OZ see if I can get some.Otherwise try hanging inflated bladders out of of a wine cask.

Not joking.

I used to have these twirly sticks, fluoro shiny colours hanging in the branches & they used to keep the birds away. Next time I go to OZ see if I can get some.Otherwise try hanging inflated bladders out of of a wine cask.

Not joking.

How do you get your inflated bladder into a wine cask Rooo? :rolleyes:

interesting, i was just reading up on some deterrents and someone suggested strips of christmas type wrapping paper, or similar with at least one shiny reflective side.

Not joking.

Not joking.

How do you get your inflated bladder into a wine cask Rooo? :rolleyes:

I have an answer for this, but then I will have to warn myself.:whistling:

rooo, any idea what type of bird you have seen? genuinely curious here, watching falcons and hawks get to work is pretty cool. i'm thinking about having a local woodworker make a life sized hawk that i can fasten to my roof top.

think its more easy for you to move back to the asphalt jungle you came from :sick:

think its more easy for you to move back to the asphalt jungle you came from :sick:

Why is that? Birds are lovely, but can also be a nuisance .We are not killing them, just deterring them from certain areas.So why the go back to your asphalt jungle comment?

FYI I have lived on the boundary of a national park most of my adult life & not an asphalt jungle.

Edited by Rooo

it's true they can be a real pain, we have a large open area and the dog food has attracted them which was not a problem until they started leaving shti on the sofa's, floors, and walls. we hung one of my boys art projects; a huge bird but it has had no positive results. the bb rifle i have tends to be good when the birds are fighting but other than scaring them i have not had any feathers fly. i like the wrapping paper idea and will give it a try.

it's true they can be a real pain, we have a large open area and the dog food has attracted them which was not a problem until they started leaving shti on the sofa's, floors, and walls. we hung one of my boys art projects; a huge bird but it has had no positive results. the bb rifle i have tends to be good when the birds are fighting but other than scaring them i have not had any feathers fly. i like the wrapping paper idea and will give it a try.

Even long strips of polished aluminium, or use some cardboard & stick the paper to it.

why someone says, too much time on your hand's, shows what kind of people live now on this island.

I live also next to the sea since 20 years on Samui, have seen owls and eagles in pairs before, but not any more...

They did a bird of prey show at the aquarium before, don't know if they still do that, call them for infos

http://www.samuiaquariumandtigerzoo.com/index.html

• Like 1

why someone says, too much time on your hand's, shows what kind of people live now on this island.

Still for me the best things on Samui are free....if only people take the time to look. Too much unnatural light many places now at night is my main complaint though many places in Thailand this now has spoiled the natural view.

Wonderful though every day if you take the time to see....

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

i've been sitting at my computer and had them glide through my house. i think they were doing some recon. if i don't put them in check now i'm half expecting to wake up at 6am and hear them knocking on the door expecting a trash bin to plunder and a scene out of hitchcock's "the birds" for me if i don't oblige.

if anyone has some tree snakes they can spare, they'd find a nice home here as there are hundreds of coconuts to climb and a thousand eggs to eat. same goes for falcons hawks and eagles. too bad i couldn't put up a predators wanted advert at tesco.

I see 2-3 of the large sea eagles soaring over the mountains and the sea most days near me. I also have a lot of kites around the mountain I live on. There is also a beautiful falcon ,similar to a peregrine falcon back in the UK that comes and sits on the wooden hand rail most mornings looking for breakfast. If the birds are bothering you either a cat will move them on or look in the bigger garden places and see if you can get a plaster eagle or large owl. Smaller birds will stay away. They use the same things on the heli decks offshore to keep the sea birds away from the helicopters and they work very well. The birds keep well clear as they do not wish to become lunch :D

I see 2-3 of the large sea eagles soaring over the mountains and the sea most days near me. I also have a lot of kites around the mountain I live on. There is also a beautiful falcon ,similar to a peregrine falcon back in the UK that comes and sits on the wooden hand rail most mornings looking for breakfast. If the birds are bothering you either a cat will move them on or look in the bigger garden places and see if you can get a plaster eagle or large owl. Smaller birds will stay away. They use the same things on the heli decks offshore to keep the sea birds away from the helicopters and they work very well. The birds keep well clear as they do not wish to become lunch :D

ditto, but on koh phangan.

there are at least 2 mating pair of fish/sea eagle that ride the thermals near chaloklam bay. seeing only one is a slow day.

Sea eagles swooping over Choeng Mon late afternoon....a lovely sight....:)

I see eagles daily soaring around the mountains behind my house nr tesco,and over chaweng lake in the evening,was worrying walking the dog,as they flew a bit too close to him....i saw an owl of similar build and colour to a uk barn owl one night near the chaweng police station.....i.thought i was tripping..!

• 3 weeks later...

There is a pair of eagles on Koh Som (Banana Island). You can actually see them often if you're out that way. They know how to pick a lovely spot.

right birds, wrong fruit. i do pass by orange island quite often and will keep my eyes open.

You had better swing by there sooner rather than later if you want to see them.

I have heard a rumour this week that someone is looking to build a resort on Koh Som. (I think that the people trying to sell villas there have not been too successful. Don't really know the details though.)

Anyway - if the resort does go ahead I am pretty sure that the eagles will leave. Shame really.

they've been threatening to build on that island for quite some time now. even marked out individual plots but it's never gone anywhere. i think the birds are safe for a few more years...

Hope so. Last year, (can't remember which month) we counted twenty three of the white breasted sea eagles soaring between

Koh Som and Plai Lam at one time.They were around for over a week mostly at dusk. Perhaps it was mating time as they were swooping around at each other. A wonderful site but I've only seen two around here so far this year. I don't hold out too much hope for the same numbers again, given the unrestrained development and habitat destruction on this part of the island.

• Like 1