Ubuntu Wifi Card

innerspace

Cheers for the response.

Im not short on USB ports, I just prefer to have internal components on desktops due to increased performance and less chance of loss or damage.

Thats a useful link siemect but unfortunately it defeats the purpose of my question, since I weant to know whats easily available in Thailand (Pattaya).

Also a bit surprising seeing a linux hardware site which doesnt even say the model of the component (the image shows DWL-G510 when you zoom in but some text would be nice!)

I had previously found this site which answers the supported question, but with pages of models for every manufacturer I don't feel like carrying so many pages round looking for a card.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

I also would have quite liked to have purchased an internal PCI wifi card, but I couldn't find any here in Chiang Mai that are known to work on Ubuntu.

I gave up and bought a TP-Link TL-WN321G USB dongle today from a shop in Computer Plaza for 450 Baht. These are widely available in Chiang Mai at the moment and work great. I run Ubuntu 10.04 and on my computer I just plugged it in and it worked - no configuration or buggering about at all! Excellent - but not internal... Let me know if you find a PCI card that works (without messing about with ndiswrapper etc.).

Cheers for the response.

Im not short on USB ports, I just prefer to have internal components on desktops due to increased performance and less chance of loss or damage.

Thats a useful link siemect but unfortunately it defeats the purpose of my question, since I weant to know whats easily available in Thailand (Pattaya).

Also a bit surprising seeing a linux hardware site which doesnt even say the model of the component (the image shows DWL-G510 when you zoom in but some text would be nice!)

I had previously found this site which answers the supported question, but with pages of models for every manufacturer I don't feel like carrying so many pages round looking for a card.

https://help.ubuntu....sCardsSupported

There are not many wireless PCI cards available - USB sticks are more popular even on desktops. For PCI it will be easier to get the model numbers that are available in your favorite shop and then see what is compatible rather than carrying around a sheaf of notes that bear no relation to what is available today in Thailand. I'd confirm that your bias against USB is valid too - my USB stick (cheapest available - D-Link 110) outperforms my ADSL link which is what is important in my case.

I picked up a TP-Link TL-WN353GD from tukcom which seemed to be linux compatible.

After installing a quick test recognised the card but before I could set up my wireless connection to test it properly the computer switched off.

Totally unrelated incident I believe, the PSU fan had stopped spinning and the smell indicates it has burnt out.

So another shopping trip this evening and hopefully the system will be wifi connected.

Running Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and no drivers have been needed (so far!)