Am I A Uk Resident Or Thai Resident If I Have A Non Imm O Visa

I want to buy health/travel insurance for 1 year to live and work in Thailand... im filling out the online quotes and the first thing they ask is-- if i am a permanent UK resident.

i have a a non imm 'o' visa for 1 year. i will live in Thailand for that whole year and make shorts trips every few months to neighbouring countries. does my visa mean i am a resident of Thailand or still a permanent UK resident. thanks

You are a resident of Thailand as seen by the UK Government, however the Thais see you as a person who has permission to stay here, but is not a resident.

Sort that one out if you can.......

added: If you asked for a License from DVLA and live in Thailand you are not a resident of the UK, and therefore they will not issue you one.

Edited by beano2274

If you tried to get your pension index linked you also would not be a UK resident. I have been down the same road with insurance and spoke to a few companies and was told I would not be covered. I found health insurance a lot cheaper here than from UK companies any way and my policy covers me for foreign travel. Hope this helps

How would this work.. i already have a UK driving license from DVLA from nearly 10yrs ago, i have an international driving permi i plan to use in Thailand- how could this be linked to resdiency or non residency

You are a resident of Thailand as seen by the UK Government, however the Thais see you as a person who has permission to stay here, but is not a resident.

added: If you asked for a License from DVLA and live in Thailand you are not a resident of the UK, and therefore they will not issue you one.

i also looked at the thai insurance companies but their cover plans seemed to offer less and nothing was that cheap

i looked at 1 years backpacker/ longstay cover plan and the different tiers come in at between, 113-165 British pounds

http://www.direct-tr...acker-insurance

thanks for your comments

Chris check the small print on these policies. The ones that I was looking at in the UK, even though an annual policy limited each individual trip to a max of 30 days. If you are going to be outside the UK for a year they don't count it as "Holiday" insurance, unless there is some kind of scheme for gap year students.(Whoops edited to add i followed the link and guess what.....)

Edited by RabC

How would this work.. i already have a UK driving license from DVLA from nearly 10yrs ago, i have an international driving permi i plan to use in Thailand- how could this be linked to resdiency or non residency

If you are on the electoral Role & paying council tax, then you are a UK Resident end of. If you earn money in the UK but live outside it then you are a non domicile (for tax purposes) If you want in depth answers I'd really suggest you email the consular services at the Embassy as laws are always being adjusted especially after a change of Government.

You are a UK citizen with a UK Passport on a round the world trip. You are not, and doubtless ever will be a Thai resident.

Yes, one is not officially regarded as a Thai resident, but nevertheless one resides in Thailand according to one's visa conditions, the best (top) visa option for those that are here permanently is an annual retirement visa (financial conditions apply) but must be reconfirmed every 90 days by visiting the immigration office with the required paperwork copies in order to "revive" the annual visa for a further 90 days.

Although not officially a Thai resident, one is no longer a UK resident either, UK pension restriction (but not taxation) apply, thus you will become for one year a migratory floater, but notwithstanding the above, you will still remain a UK domiciliary.

You are a UK citizen with a UK Passport on a round the world trip. You are not, and doubtless ever will be a Thai resident.

Yes, one is not officially regarded as a Thai resident, but nevertheless one resides in Thailand according to one's visa conditions, the best (top) visa option for those that are here permanently is an annual retirement visa (financial conditions apply) but must be reconfirmed every 90 days by visiting the immigration office with the required paperwork copies in order to "revive" the annual visa for a further 90 days.

Although not officially a Thai resident, one is no longer a UK resident either, UK pension restriction (but not taxation) apply, thus you will become for one year a migratory floater, but notwithstanding the above, you will still remain a UK domiciliary.

1 "Retirement" visas do not permit working.

2 90 day reporting is seperate from visa requirements

3 Retirement visas (Non-O visa with extensions based on retirement) are only available for people over 50

The only way you'd lose UK residency for 1 year is if you were taking up full time contracted employment overseas. i.e. a 1 year contract or secondment from your current employer. Otherwise to lose UK residency takes years. Domicile has nothing to do with it.

I would think you'd be fine on a long stay policy. You could ask but there's no reason for an insurance company to know you're working. ;)

Try here:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/