Growing Rubber Trees

ttthailand

First off , I am not a farmer so sorry for my lack of knowledge. And I am a bit new to the Rubber Tree business but my gfs family has been doing it for many years. Gf wanted to plant some trees this year but the price was too high. Today we were on her mothers land and saw thousands of small trees growing under her big rubber trees. Many of these trees were already more than one meter tall. My gf tells me that these trees will not grow as is and if used there is a process where they need to cut and splice in another piece of tree...not sure of process.

Will these trees grow into nice usable rubber trees if we just dig up and replant, as is ?

If not, what is the process she talks about ?

Any information or suggested web sites would be welcomed. Thanks !

A little bird told me the government are giving farmers with land money to grow rubber trees as Thailand wants to be the world leader in rubber production.

I can't help with your qusetion but it is worth looking into being subsidised for rubber plantation.

A little bird told me the government are giving farmers with land money to grow rubber trees as Thailand wants to be the world leader in rubber production.

I can't help with your qusetion but it is worth looking into being subsidised for rubber plantation.

yes, I think I read that some place. Thanks for your response.

Talking to the SIL in Trang, she said that unless you're going for 10 Rai you'll be wasting your time....no reason not to do it though, if you're in the north then your PAO should be a good source of trees? Best of luck!

Talking to the SIL in Trang, she said that unless you're going for 10 Rai you'll be wasting your time....no reason not to do it though, if you're in the north then your PAO should be a good source of trees? Best of luck!

Sorry, What does SIL and PAO stand for ?

We are looking at 20 rai of land to grow.

TTT if you are in the Ubon area you are welcome to come and have a look at my Plantations and ask all the questions you want. Just bring beer and I will talk untill it runs out. Jim

• 2 months later...

TTT if you are in the Ubon area you are welcome to come and have a look at my Plantations and ask all the questions you want. Just bring beer and I will talk untill it runs out. Jim

To the OP: let the small trees grow next to the big ones, doesn't hurt them. If it annoys you cut them off, forget using them somewhere else....

If you want to plant buy good quality (somewhere I read "too expensive") small plants and take good care of them for 7 years, they will reward you for the next 23 years...

Example cheap: I have Euca trees too, you can buy small ones for 1 baht, I bought them for 4.5 baht, after 4 years they are huge with very thick wood whereas you see thet cheap ones with wood like a baby arm...cheap is no solution, it's a poor way of saving money.

To Jim: if you are at the stage of tapping rubber already I would be most interested to come to Ubon and talk with you, as I will start next year (or the year after). I have local info but would like to have farang info too. Of course I would take care of beer :burp:

Cheers

Joe

When I planted mine 7 years ago the government of the day were selling subsidised young plants to the farmers. Unfortunately they were not good stock and a lot failed. There was some stink about it later which some may remember. This article may explain why young trees are grafted.

http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~seedbio/HCS630_files/May%2031/Rubber%20seed%20production%20-%20text.pdf

Sorry to go off topic slightly

Someone is renting land from my wife for three years,he has rubber trees planted and says he will be sending them to China after three years

Just wondering what the cost and profit would be in this,if anyone has an idea.

Thanks