Honda Click-I Vs. Suzuki Skydrive. Any?

Xonax

I am living in Bangkok East (Srinakarin area) and will soon need to buy a new small motorbike/scooter for local shopping only. I like the underbody bikes, which allows a few shopping bags to be placed between my legs, and I do require Fuel Injection (not carburetor) which have left me with two options left:

A) Honda Click-i Forward (110 cbm)

B) Suzuki Skydrive (125 cbm)

Prices are almost the same just below THB 50.000. I would like to buy which one of these gives me most VALUE FOR MONEY, considering pleasure, performance, stability, safety, maintainance costs, resale value etc. Do any of you know if there will be any major changes for the 2011 models, like if Honda are planning a larger engine, to compete with the new 125 cbm Yamaha Mio?

If I needed to drive longer distances, I would definitely consider to buy a Honda PCX, but unfortunately I don´t and have an idea, that it would be too heavy to handle in the small soi´s.

If any of you have done this comparison before or have experience with one or both above bikes, I would be happy to receive your suggestions :D

Thnks in advance!

Edited by Xonax

A Honda has better overall quality than a Suzuki, you will have to use the bike for a while before that shows though. The Scoopy is another nice alternative for local shopping

I am exactly in your position, I need an "underbody" bike to take my daughter to school in starting March (safer to have her standing / sitting in front of me, interested in what's going on around us than sitting behind be seeing nothing). I hope for a 125 cc Honda coming soon, the 110's are a bit underpowered for a big Swede. Still, if Honda doesn't come with one, then I'll go for a 110 cc Honda. I value Honda quality and reliability

A Honda has better overall quality than a Suzuki, you will have to use the bike for a while before that shows though. The Scoopy is another nice alternative for local shopping

I am exactly in your position, I need an "underbody" bike to take my daughter to school in starting March (safer to have her standing / sitting in front of me, interested in what's going on around us than sitting behind be seeing nothing). I hope for a 125 cc Honda coming soon, the 110's are a bit underpowered for a big Swede. Still, if Honda doesn't come with one, then I'll go for a 110 cc Honda. I value Honda quality and reliability

I disagree on quality, but I only own one Suzuki so could be luck. More problems with Click and Airblade than 4 y o Suzuki auto. Suzuki even still on same battery:jap:

Actually I have been sending kids to school on Yammy Nouvo, one front up to 7 years old works ok, 2 behind, 4 up.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree on quality, but I only own one Suzuki so could be luck. More problems with Click and Airblade than 4 y o Suzuki auto. Suzuki even still on same battery:jap:

Actually I have been sending kids to school on Yammy Nouvo, one front up to 7 years old works ok, 2 behind, 4 up.

I worked in a bike shop selling Yama, Suz, Kawa in my home town Gothenburg in the early 80'. I have owned 4 Yama, 2 Suz, 1 Kawa and 2 Hondas in my life and started off pro "Yama Suzuki", There has always been this nagging feeling that Honda had a bit better quality though, the feeling is even stronger now. To me, Honda Made in Thailand has better quality than the other japs :)

Presently, there can be no question about Suzuki having the power advantage. Before buying, you might see if you can get hold of one, but if your need is not quick acceleration, Honda will serve. Comparative quality might be called close but high in both models.

However, with regard to re-sale value, Honda has a definite advantage. Thais adore the brand. During my many shopping tours (in Chiang Mai) for second hand bikes, I've observed that Honda's lead considerably in head to head comparisons, asking prices up to 10,000 baht more for same years and ostensible kilometers on newer models. Among Japanese automatic models of small size, 'Zuki trails Yamaha, I found. You get slightly less with Honda,s with regard to power, but they sell well enough, later on, to justify it.

I'll add that I have a savvy friend who intentionally bought a Suzuki, because he intends to run it into the ground and did plan some country trips (alone) and wanted the 125cc. I've seen the difference on hills.

Edited by CMX

The "reasons" for narrowing the choice to a Click or Suzuki Skydive don't make much sense, at least not to me. Why is FI a "requirement"? In Thailand, a carbuerator is probably more reliable, easier to fix and less hastle over time. I bought a PCX with FI because that is what it came with (I also have a Phantom with a carbuerator), but FI would never be a "requirement". You have narrowed your choices to two pretty awful bikes, at least there are much better options in the market. The Click, as noted, has one rear shock and rides terribly. I had one, hated it, and gave it away -- what a crap design. Never again! Suzuki cars and bikes are the worst on the road. I can imagine why anyone buys them. The new Honda Scoopy looks good and fits your needs. I have a PCX and can't imaging that a soi which could be navigated with a Click could not also be done with a PCX. It rides and handles very well. You should avoid a Click or Skydive and reconsider your requirements. The Scoopy is probably your best option.

If I needed to select a scooter, I would look around in the area where I live, what is the nearest motorcycle dealer and service center. If the nearest service center is a Honda I would buy a Honda, if it's a Suzuki I would go for a Suzuki. And if I lived next to a Yamaha dealer I would say who needs a fuel-injection and buy a Yamaha.

Why would you ask? There's nothing more annoying than having a scooter that doesn't work, and a dealer that is not around the corner. Sure you can bring your 2 week old Honda to a Yamaha dealer around the corner and very likely they can fix it, but you need to pay... And likely not get original Honda parts...

Even if you have a pickup like me, loading a scooter in the rear is not exactly something you do for fun. And lately lifting near 100 kilo's above my hips is not something I really do for fun.

For shopping what about a new Wave with FI? Is there still room for a basket on the front?

EDIT Yes there is on a 125i.

Plus one can install hooks inside the leg guards for hanging bags a la Indonesia.

OP didn't say he needed auto. So semi auto maybe OK.

Which of the auto bikes has the most under seat storage? Which one has space for a "local" Givi box.

I'm also a believer in buying from the nearest or near dealer. I think dealer relationship is important.

Edited by VocalNeal

I am interested in purchasing a bike to drive around my area within 5 km!!! I am 105 kilos and an inexperienced rider, so I want something easy to handle, not many hills around my area!!! I want to keep the price low, but do believe in buying new, so you know what you have. Under 50K would be desirable!!! Should I consider auto or manual??? Fuel injection or carburetor? After I get my confidence level up I may want to venture out a little more, but on road trips I will use my car!!! What should I BUY!!!

I am interested in purchasing a bike to drive around my area within 5 km!!! I am 105 kilos and an inexperienced rider, so I want something easy to handle, not many hills around my area!!! I want to keep the price low, but do believe in buying new, so you know what you have. Under 50K would be desirable!!! Should I consider auto or manual??? Fuel injection or carburetor? After I get my confidence level up I may want to venture out a little more, but on road trips I will use my car!!! What should I BUY!!!

I cannot agree that insisting upon 1) fuel injection or 2) automatic transmission "don't make sense." The arguments have been frequently expressed here and there are many reasons on both sides.

1) Fuel injection is more fuel efficient. Fuel injected machines today are extremely reliable. Fuel injected engines (see Honda's pronouncements) are even more extremely clean. I am an ardent environmentalist (though I don't always act that way:rolleyes:, and I would be offended if someone told me that my conclusions were nonsensical. (And I know all the arguments about drop in the bucket; I consider them a societal disease, frequently advanced by those who ride a 68 horsepower bike when 20 will serve.)

2) Automatic transmissions are not as fuel efficient. Because of friction in their design (as compared to today's cars), automatic transmissions probably subtract 15% (figures vary) from fuel efficiency. However, I am not alone in having argued that an automatic transmission in traffic is significantly safer than the clutch-less models because of many instances in which they are able to accelerate (a bit) faster. This is undeniable, save for those in denial - the automatic response advocates lie to themselves. Moreover, for many of us who have not grown up on a clutch-less bike, it takes, at least initially, some thinking time. In Thai traffic, the slightest hesitation could be damaging. Subtract from full attention in any degree, and you risk injury. Particularly true for newer drivers.

There are many other points on both sides. But if one accepts that the OP is allowed to post a question that is what the OP means (and I think that his conclusions so far make a LOT of sense), we must default to "nearest dealer," unless he has that truck and finds it acceptable to take it to a place further away. And, as I've noted above, resale value is a factor.

For example, I think he needs a Ninja 650 and I'll waste a lot of his time, yours, and forum space saying so.:bah::offtopic:

Thanks to all of you for the input :D

I did not mention if I require automatic transmission, but I would definitely never choose other than fully automatic and belt-drive. I have both a Honda- and a mixed Yamaha/Honda dealer located next to each other around 1 km from my home. Suzuki is probably a bit further, but I guess that they would be happy to pick up the bike, as long as I offer to pay the costs. My back is not strong, so I would happily pay any dealer to pick up the bike, if the distance is more than 50 meters.

I have rented both Honda Click, Honda AirBlade and Yamaha Nouvo on previous holidays in the south, and didn´t notice much difference, except for that the Honda´s were more smooth running and had less engine- and exhaustion noise than the Nouvo.

I think I will settle for the Honda Click, due to the potential higher resale value, so that I will be able to change to a new model with smallest possible loss, when Honda Click comes with 125 cbm. They already have the 125 cbm engine ready from the PCX, but I am aware that this is Thailand, and it could take anything from a few months to many years. Anyway it is only for shopping. For the longer trips we always go by car.

• 1 month later...