Elderly Foreign Tourist Killed In South Pattaya Road Accident

Rimmer

Elderly Foreign Tourist killed in South Pattaya road accident

PATTAYA: -- On Saturday Afternoon, an elderly foreign man was killed as he crossed the busy Pattaya Second Road, in front of the Avenue Complex. Police and Rescue Services were called to the scene of the accident which involved a motorbike and a parked car. Khun Supichai aged 34 told Police that he was driving his motorbike from the Bali Hai Port towards Central Pattaya and went to overtake a slow moving Baht Bus in front of Soi 13 and failed to see the foreign man crossing the road.

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One

2010-09-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

RIP to the old guy.

if he stepped out from behind a songtaew then it might not 100% be the bikers fault.

I know during the 80s in the UK they had a huge advertising campaign about this that showed what could happen if you step out into the road from behind a parked car. not sure where this guy was from though.

RIP to the old guy.

if he stepped out from behind a songtaew then it might not 100% be the bikers fault.

I know during the 80s in the UK they had a huge advertising campaign about this that showed what could happen if you step out into the road from behind a parked car. not sure where this guy was from though.

It is one way traffic...

He stepped out in front of the bus, I do not know if at this place if there are road markings indicating a "Pedestrian Crossing" but I get so annoyed when you try to cross and a blithering Baht Bus pulls up peeping away not having the intelligence to understand that all you want to do is cross the road as a consequence of his action all the traffic backs up and you have no chance of crossing until he moves on.

As Onnut pointed out we had a lot of public information adverts relating to road safety here in the UK, also when it came to pedestrian crossings we introduced "Zig-Zag" lines 25m either side of the crossing to indicate No-Parking, No-Stopping and No-Overtaking, of course if Thailand were to introduce them then public information adverts explaining what they were for would help.

• Like 1

It's very tough to cross 2nd Rd at the Avenue Mall. The biker, however, is totally at fault. This is not a case of a pedestrian darting out into traffic. The biker, who operates a speed boat at Bali Hai Pier, was driving behind a baht bus and made a pass on the left at a very high rate of speed. The pedestrian and the motorbike driver probably never saw each other. The bike's high rate of speed caused the death. I don't expect the Thai courts to administer the severity of punishment that is appropriate in this case.

My condolences to the wife and family of the decedent.

I feel sorry for people trying to cross 2nd road...heck, any road in Thailand for that matter. Nobody stops to let people cross...and if you do, some jerk is up your arse and trying to pass you on whatever side they can...Thais and farangs. I see families, holding their kids hands, clearly in the crosswalk, and nobody is giving them a chance. They stand there in the middle of the road desperately trying to get across.

The scooters are the worst, passing on the left, the right, cutting in front...a real mess. I hope this guy gets nailed hard.

RIP to the old man...could happen to any of us...

Condolences to relatives and friends of the deceased.

So many on motorbikes have no common sense. No policing apart from an odd crackdown means they continue on their mindless ways until some poor innocent unfortunates luck runs out. :angry:

You can only blame law enforcement. Even in your own country young motorcyclists (and most other people on the road) "have no common sense", that's why they enforce the traffic rules. No law enforcement = road caos, anywhere at all.