New British Passport - This Makes No Sense...

Hi all,

I need to get a new British passport and I checked the FCO website and it says that I need to apply in HK. First off it says I need to provide a birth certificate [which I lost years ago]:

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/passport-documents

All first time applicants

Born before 1 January 1983 in the UK

If you were born before 1 January 1983 in the UK you must provide:

a photocopy of your current ID and

your full UK birth certificate

Next it says I have to send my passport:

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/faqs-passport/general/copied-documents

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/faqs-passport/general/birth-cert-old-passport

General

Do I need to send my birth certificate and expired passport?

If you hold a valid passport, we normally do not need to see your birth certificate. But we always need your expired or expiring passport if you have one.

For all those of you who have been through the process of applying for a new passport through Hong Kong did you need to send your birth certificate and current passport? [something I do NOT want to do].

Thanks for all replies...

You are not a first time applicant if you already have a passport so do not believe you are reading the right instructions.

True. Further down on the page they write:

Renewing your passport or changing information in your passport

If you are applying to renew your passport or change information in it, in addition to the documents, you must also provide:

your current passport or

your old passport - the passport that has expired.

You are not a first time applicant if you already have a passport so do not believe you are reading the right instructions.

True. Further down on the page they write:

Renewing your passport or changing information in your passport

If you are applying to renew your passport or change information in it, in addition to the documents, you must also provide:

your current passport or

your old passport - the passport that has expired.

you need to send a photocopy of the old passport not the actual passport.

You are not reading the correct instructions. On the Embassy website (Passports ) click applyiny in Thailand and that opens a page thats says Bangkok does not renew passports any longer( unless damaged stolen etc.) Then follow the instructions.

You only send a copy of your passport to HK

No you do not need your birth certificate.

Make sure you comply exactly with the photo requirements.

About 10 working days from reports I have read.

You are not reading the correct instructions. On the Embassy website (Passports ) click applyiny in Thailand and that opens a page thats says Bangkok does not renew passports any longer( unless damaged stolen etc.) Then follow the instructions.

You only send a copy of your passport to HK

No you do not need your birth certificate.

Make sure you comply exactly with the photo requirements.

About 10 working days from reports I have read.

Hi ! So firstly where and what is HK? secondly If I got you right you go to this HK web site down load a form and send it along with specific sized photos a photo copy of youre old passport and some cash i should think, And then just wait here for them to send it back with all the old visas still intact ?

Sounds a bit to good to be true somehow,Would have thought there would be some sort of come back behind these big metal gates in a week when we've got youre new one so we can cut up youre old one.?

I will try again. The British Embassy in Bangkok no longer issue Passports ( unless lost, stolen or damaged.)

Renewals are now processed in the new Regional Office in HK (Hong Kong)

All the information / instructions are on the British Embassy Bangkok website.

Make sure you read it carefully so you follow the correct instructions. The opener will probably be ''Applying for a passport in Thailand''

( even though the next page will start 'we no longer issue passports in Bangkok apart from blah, blah blah, etc.)

I will try again. The British Embassy in Bangkok no longer issue Passports ( unless lost, stolen or damaged.)

Renewals are now processed in the new Regional Office in HK (Hong Kong)

All the information / instructions are on the British Embassy Bangkok website.

Make sure you read it carefully so you follow the correct instructions. The opener will probably be ''Applying for a passport in Thailand''

( even though the next page will start 'we no longer issue passports in Bangkok apart from blah, blah blah, etc.)

With your patience I think you need to change your screen name