Shipping From Chonburi To The Uk

Hi all,

Just got my husband's visa which is fab but now i need to sort out shipping.

We live in Bangsaen, Chonburi and dont have a car, i think i have about 100 kilos of stuff that needs to go to Leicester or Birmingham in the UK.

I will need a shipping agent who can come to my house and pick everything up. Any ideas?

cheers

Skeets.

I used Agility (see below) to ship from bangkok to london.

about THB 70,000 (including VAT and over THB 400,000 insurance) for over 100 cubic feet. They ship door to door, and it takes about 6 weeks. Plus you can get 3 weeks free storage in bangkok if you don't have a forwarding address. They pack everything - it took them about 7 hours. Hopefully it should be arriving early October.

It's worth getting a few people round to give you quotes. Some other companies are Asian Tigers, and, sorry i forgot the other one - Trans ... something. from Hong Kong. For shipping the price is based on volume not weight.

Be careful with excess baggage, I got stung for nearly £2000 at the airport for 70kg excess. But just got an £800 refund from the airline after two months complaining. Jet charge thb 1450/kg, not the 400/kg they told me in an email.

good luck with the move.

Agility Fairs & Events - Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand

Tel. +66 2 326 3456

Mobile +66 8 6545 9226

Fax. +66 2 360 8634

www.agilitylogistics.com

the OP talks about weight, but not volume, but please also consider British Airways and "weigh" up the costs and benefits if this is a viable option

BA now calculate check-in baggage on a piece basis, so one economy passenger gets one bag that can weigh 23 Kg. So, two passengers together can have two bags, i.e. 46 Kg.

If you buy a premium economy ticket, called World traveller Plus, these baggage allowances are DOUBLED

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_hk?topic=freebags

ALSO, BA allow you to pay for extra bags, the first extra 23 Kg bag costs £32 (but second bag costs a lot more), so two passengers with two extra bags means a cost of £64 for 46 Kg

add all that up and for £64 you get 92 Kg in economy, and 138 Kg in premium economy

not much use if your moving the sofa...

A little known option is to ask the airlines about shipping. There was a service which was separate from the flight ticketing but which was far far less than excess baggage cost. They were contactable at the airport the last time I looked.

In addition to my use of BA's luggage allowances, I am also shipping my pets on the same flight. BA charges for freight on the HKG to LHR route are about £11 per Kg (this is the rate for pets as well as other freight as far as I know) but on top of that will be some administration costs (these costs are higher for pets as you can imagine). Airlines in general calculate weight based on volume unless the shipment is quite dense. I.e. a massive bag of feathers weighing 10Kg will be given a volumetric weight of maybe 500 Kg, my dog and its crate weigh 50Kg, but the volumetric weight is 160 Kg, so costs will depend on what you ship.