Thai Police & Us Dea Announce Operation “Hot Spot” In Pattaya

Rimmer

Thai Police & US DEA Announce Operation “Hot Spot” in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- Representatives from the Royal Thai Police, local and provincial administrations and the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) held a press conference on Wednesday announcing the commencement of the anti-drug initiative titled Operation ‘Hot Spot.’

Pattaya, the 22nd of September 2010 [PDN]: Held from Pattaya City Hall, a congregation of local authorities, administrators, government officials, representatives from the private sector and a representative of the US DEA announced the commencement of Operation ‘Hot Spot’ in Pattaya and several other key locations throughout Thailand.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

-- 2010-09-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the US needs to finalize things with their Mexican border first before coming way out over here.

Unless,... wait a minute! They're trying to find a reason to be more planted in Thailand prior to invading Burma with all their drugs, human rights violations, nuclear power plants and undemocratic ways! Oh right, and plus they want their hands on all the natural resources there. Sounds like Iraq in Southeast Asia to me, and Thailand will serve as the stepping stone.

Great.

Firstly, it is in the US interest to suppress drugs from the Golden Triangle and elsewhere in this region.

Secondly, the US has the most experience in such suppression.

We can argue forever on the success or otherwise of any other operations of this sort but where there is intent then perhaps there are results.

The cynicism on this forum saddens me.

The sooner they give up the fight on drugs the better and spend the money they waste on fighting it to education and treatment facilities for those that cant handle it.

Know one will EVER win the fight on drugs so tax it control it and and let grown ups make there own decisions if they want to take drugs.

THERE IS A HUGE, MASSIVE, GIGANTIC, NEVER ENDING DEMAND FOR DRUGS AND THAT WILL NEVER END

Millions of people use drugs recreationally just like they drink and they still go to work each day and are productive individuals many CEO's snort Coke I know more people that smoke weed than people that don't (I dont it puts me to sleep and does nothing for me)

To me its a waste of time and money fighting it.

• Like 1

I don't see anywhere in the article where it says the US is forcing this program. Perhaps the Thai government initiated it or solicited assistance from the DEA. It could be based on the success of the annual training that takes place during Cobra Gold. thai military is trained on combating and responding to various scenarios including piracy, natural disasters, and terrorism. Maybe there are deeper reasons for this that you are just not privileged to see the information.

People in Pattaya can see this now. LARGE billboards all over town announcing the program, announcing how you can RAT OUT people, and announcing that the UNITED STATES DEA is behind this. That is my problem with this. The visibility of the American connection. It IS offensive and wrong from even an American perspective, which is mine. It looks imperialistic. It looks like bullying. Iraq was bad enough, its time to be MORE SUBTLE.

Next ...

• Like 1

US likes to nose around in other countries' business, do other countries do that in the US? :rolleyes:

Big brother of the world!

All world powers prior to were much more imperial and merciless. I guess you're for them or against them then? what are you saying? or are you just envious?

I cant log in too often any more, with all of the bitter, jaded, negative old men on here it is getting so depressing!

Maybe I'm too young and positive for this forum anymore!

I don't see anywhere in the article where it says the US is forcing this program. Perhaps the Thai government initiated it or solicited assistance from the DEA. It could be based on the success of the annual training that takes place during Cobra Gold. thai military is trained on combating and responding to various scenarios including piracy, natural disasters, and terrorism. Maybe there are deeper reasons for this that you are just not privileged to see the information.

There's quite some people on their most wanted list (http://www.dea-rewards.com/len/wantedtraffickers.php) who are wanted both in the USA & Thailand so it makes sense to cooperate I guess.

I don't think it'll have a lot of positive results but that's another story.

I would say it should be low profile, but after lots of meeting and the desire to exchange knowledge and method these type operations happen. It points to some success that they have to come to Thailand for stop cheap drugs that can be found or even made near to or in the states. There have in the past been complaints that Thailand's mule problem is caused by US demand and they should be doing something about it.

Add in the war on terror - as much funding of these groups comes from the same source and doing anything to interrupt that is time well spent.

Billboards are a bit over the top, I would prefer no one knew I was in town.

The billboards are atrocious.

Imagine how people would feel if there were big billboards from the CHINESE government announcing they have come to clean up Thailand.

Come on Thais, let foreigners owns small houses, yes, but kick out these crazed imperialists from ALL countries!

WHy does the USA have to come and make it their problem again, don't they have enough problems in the US of A? :rolleyes:

FYI, the DEA have been in Muang Thai for a number of years helping to suss out this scourge, including in the deep south and Phuket. Folks are perhaps a bit quick to knock the Yankee Doodles on this occasion.

WHy does the USA have to come and make it their problem again, don't they have enough problems in the US of A? :rolleyes:

FYI, the DEA have been in Muang Thai for a number of years helping to suss out this scourge, including in the deep south and Phuket. Folks are perhaps a bit quick to knock the Yankee Doodles on this occasion.

The US Government opened it’s first anti drug office in Thailand as far back as 1963. When the DEA was created in 1973 they took over this office and have been in Thailand ever since.

There were similar joint operations throughout the country in the 90's; they would shut down whole red light districts at a time ; then the situation was improved ; less under age girls, no more naked table snogging, some "cabarets" closed .Quite a sudden change.

And of course bust of many poppy fields ; result was end of easy & pure ya saï tit, and appearance of ya ba.

Edited by souvenirdeparis

Yes. Follow the USA,:unsure: their war on drugs has done great wonders for their country.

Everywhere the Americans arrive, drugs follow shortly after...

Whatever started in the US regarding drugs, all of them always reached Europe pretty fast. :blink:

It's not that they don't really have their own culture, but to confiscate drugs to resell it like the CIA did is just insane. :annoyed:

Hope some guys know what the DEA in Bangkok did a couple of years back. People smoke but don't inhale? Holy shit.!!!!! :ermm:

I would have thought any initiative to clean up Pattaya would be welcome by all.During the last 25 years i have seen it gradually slip further down the sewer.It used to be a great place to visit for a bit of R&R .The people were friendly both farang and Thai.The girls were a joy to behold.Yes there was the mafia element but it was local.The police were by and large amenable if you kept your nose clean.

I worked there for 3 years and had a great time--------no not anything to do with the night scene.I visited last year and was shocked to see just how far it has fallen.I now live in the south of "the real Thailand".As far as i am concerned "I wish the DEA luck but feel it will be too little too late "

As for the whingers"You have lived and moaned about the place for as long as i can remember" Long may you stay there ,its where you belong.

Please do not move next door to me!!!!!!

Has anyone actually went to the website? Or just jump to conclusions and think you have found another reason to bash USA? Apparently the relationship between DEA and NSB has been ongoing for nearly 50 years. As for being "low key" that would be counter productive to the objective of public awareness.

Curtailing drug trafficking in Thailand is not "sticking nose where it does not belong" it is hitting the problem at the root. The effects of this program could benefit the drug problem worldwide, it is not designed to keep the yaba whores off beach road. Look at the big picture.

But then again maybe some of you guys prefer to have drugs on your streets and in your schools for your kids to enjoy.

• Like 1

Some of you guys are just ridiculous. Come on. Jeez. If they US wants to help reduce the number of drug users, isn't that great? I would be a large sum of money that many people on TV have had problems with some Thai guy on drugs. Break ins, robberies, traffic accidents, etc. So we should bash the US when they offer to help with this problem? The US is the big dog in the world...and as such is an easy target. Some of the things they try and do are truly good...just like your home countries programs.

If this was, say, the UK, should we all bash the UK for trying to reduce it's large and growing population of heroin addicts? And as you should know, most of that heroin comes from Afghanistan and is routed through Iran.

Do some research on the drug problem before spouting off. Here is something I found out:

============================================================

Heroin use is declining in the United States, but rising in Europe, according to the latest report, which noted that European users smoke or inject about 25 percent of the 340 metric tons of heroin consumed worldwide each year.

Especially high demand for heroin, and also for cocaine, in Western European countries such as the UK, Italy and France, has led to the emergence of new trafficking routes in West Africa, the report states.

The Regional Breakdown for Heroin Consumption:

Europe - 26% at 88 metric tons

Russia - 21% at 70 metric tons

China - 13% at 45 metric tons

Africa - 7% at 24 metric tons

U.S.A. & Canada - 6% at 21 metric tons

Pakistan - 6% at 21 metric tons

India - 5% at 17 metric tons

Southeast Asia - 5% at 17 metric tons

Iran - 5% at 17 metric tons

Looks like Europe is the biggest overall consumer of heroin.

=================================================================

And as we all know, at least I hope so, is that drugs fuel crime big time. Do something positive for once...support programs like this.

• Like 2