Small Claims Court In Thailand

orish

I’m writing simply to check at this stage what my options are with respect to my attempts to claim a refund from Rangsit University.

I want to ask for a refund on the basis of misrepresentation: I was quoted a certain price (130,000 baht less 30% discount) for a Thesis-based International Masters Program. It turns out that they made a mistake and registered me for the regular Masters Program. I compromised on this in our discussions. But then it also turns out that the discount was only 30% for "only certain parts of the program" not the total price, and they omitted to inform me about other course requirements I had to complete (and pay for) in order to obtain my degree. I never received any formal confirmation of the agreement, nor of the university’s regulations, nor anything in writing that set out the details of the programs and the costs.

I wasn't really happy with the quality of the courses anyway (haphazard, low standards and sometimes irrelevant or outdated content) and the lack of access to research databases... but I was prepared to complete the requirements and move on (provided I wouldn't have to pay any more than was originally agreed). But I’ve made no progress. The university offered me the opportunity to apply for financial assistance to complete my degree but then, after two months of deliberation, replied glibly that I could pay off the full amount over an extended period of time.

And now they are ignoring my request for a refund, despite several emails, phone calls and faxes.

What do you suggest I do next? Is there such a thing as a Small Claims Court in Thailand? Is it worth initiating a lawsuit against the university and, if so, what are the costs and are they recoverable?

Two government sectors will possible help you:

1. Office of the Higher Education Commission

Located at 328 Sri Ayuthaya Road, Thoong Phayathai Sub-District, Rajthevi District, Bangkok 10400

Tel: 0 2610 5200, Fax 0 2354 5524-6, Call center 0 2576 5555

2. Office of the Consumer Protection Board

Located at The Government Complex Commemorating His Majesty The King’s 80th Birthday Anniversary, 5th December 2550

Tower B, 5th Floor, Chaengwattana Road, Thoongsonghong Sub-District, Laksi District, Bangkok 10200

Tel: 1166 (hotline)

Prior to take any legal action, with respect to the 30% discount, you need to be certain whether the discount were only applicable to only the tuition fees, or registration fees, facility and equipment fees or the total. The information on the programs and its subject available in each semester would be indicated in the program description which would be provided along with the application form.

The issue of mistakenly registered you onto a regular Masters Program, in my feeling you cannot go into that aspect, both you and institute have made a compromise arrangement. Before this compromise, you could have reported this to the Registration Office and/or the Registrar.

In regarding to the standards and content of the course, you can report this to the Office of the Higher Education Commission.

If you were able to prove that the school did not fulfil what they have promised you, such as the courses, the content, the fees, you can take this up to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB). Initially OCPB will try to mediate and to resolve this dispute, if no mutual agreement could be reach and if OCPB feels that you have a case against the institute, they would then proceed with legal action, which they would process and make their ruling within 41 days (approximately).

Do you have any questions about getting a Visa for travel/business/retiring/investing in Thailand?

Please "ask the visa expert" from Sunbelt Asia here:

Thaivisa.com - Ask the Visa Expert from Sunbelt Asia This information has

been provided by Sunbelt Asia Co., Ltd. Sunbelt Asia has been the main sponsor of Thaivisa.com since 2002.

You can contact Sunbelt Asia at (66)2-642-0213 or email us here. Please visit our website for more information on doing business,

working, investing, traveling, owning real estate, or starting your own business in Thailand at www.sunbeltasiagroup.com. We are located

at 1 Ratchadaphisek Rd., Floor 26, Bangkok, Thailand 10400 and can easily be reached by public transportation.

*This does not constitute legal advice or serve as a substitute for direct legal consultation with a licensed attorney. The information is

provided for educational purposes only and it may not account for the specific facts and laws that may be applicable to each individual's

situation. Also, there may be changes in the law that may affect your specific case so the answers provided here should not be considered to

be applicable your personal situation. Legal information is not the same as legal advice, which is the application of law by a licensed attorney to an individual's specific

circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend that you consult a

lawyer if you want legal advice specific to the facts surrounding your case. This information does not take the place of discussions with a

licensed lawyer and it does not create an attorney-client relationship between readers of the information and Sunbelt Asia, Co. Ltd. or any

of its employees.

[sunbeltlegal][/sunbeltlegal]