Ed Visa Extension

Hi,

Just a quick question, I've been on one year Ed visa (my first year on it), from Nov 9th 09 through to Nov 9th 2010. Just looking at extending it for another year, but remember being told that I could 14 months for the first year. So how do I get the other two months..?

I never had to report to immigration for 90 days with it because I fly in and out of the country every few months anyway, so a new 3 month stamp was always done at airport immigration. I've got to fly out for two days next week, so when I return will I get a stamp which'll take one month over the Nov 9th point (basically a one month touristy stamp), or will they still give me a three months stamp...?

I asked the school that supplied the visa and the classes, but they just seemed to be confused, despite me sitting beside a big poster advertising "14 Months!". They kept saying the extra two months were at the start of the visa, which made no sense at all.

If you're on a 1 year multiple entry visa, you can exit the country and re-enter within the validity of the visa. So if you wish you can make your last entry just before your visa is due to expire and get a final 90 days permission to stay.

I'm not aware of any specific conditions for an ED visa in this respect - i.e. if you need to provide proof of continued study (beyond the 1 year mark) or similar, so will defer to those in the know to confirm.

Edited by TCA
  • Like 1

The way I understand it is you enter on the visa with a 90 day stamp. The school provides a letter and within those 90 days you report to immigration with the letter and can get the 1 year extension. Your school was essentially correct in saying you get that at the beginning.

• Like 1

The way I understand it is you enter on the visa with a 90 day stamp. The school provides a letter and within those 90 days you report to immigration with the letter and can get the 1 year extension. Your school was essentially correct in saying you get that at the beginning.

I think the OP would only get a 1 year permission to stay if he was enrolled somewhere like a university in full time education. From reading his/her post, I presumed the OP is enrolled in a private language school, thereby any extension would only be for 90 days at a time. Most private school students I know use 90 day extensions on a single entry ED visa, with re-entry permits at a 1,000 baht a go for re-entering the country. I presume this could be done with a multi-entry ED visa and the correct paperwork but don't know of anyone who has done it.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a private language school, not a university.

Ok, cheers for the help everyone. Much appreciated. So just to check, as my mind's still a bit fuzzy on this one... if I fly out to the UK for a few days next week, fly back, I'd get a three month stamp on my passport, even though my visa runs out on Nov 09th..?

So just to check, as my mind's still a bit fuzzy on this one... if I fly out to the UK for a few days next week, fly back, I'd get a three month stamp on my passport, even though my visa runs out on Nov 09th..?

If you got your non immigrant ED visa outside of Thailand, then you will get a 90 day stamp from Thai Immgration every time you re-enter Thailand until the 'Enter Before' date on your current visa (which you say is 9th Nov 2010).

• Like 1