Vat Refund Questions

Hikage

Hi, I have 2 question about VAT refund when I leave Thailand

1) My plane leaves at 12:30 AM. will BOTH (inside and outside passport control) VAT Refund desks be open at that time. If not do you know what time they close so I can get there on time?

2) I will be re-entering Thailand 3 months later on a return flight with the goods that had the VAT refunded (I've heard the goods should not be re-imported). Does this create a problem on my way out... will they want to see my ticket and refuse the refund?

Thanks

1 - sorry - not sure - but they're always been open whenever I have flown and I have taken flights around that time.

2- never had any problems like that. They don't seem to have any link between what someone takes out and what they bring in.

Of course, that's against the law which is why I've never done anything like that. Oh dear, no, not me, not never.

It annoys the crap out of me that they wanted the ORIGINAL receipts which generally makes a big problem with future warrenties/exchanges Etc. not to mention business people needing them for the accountants/books/taxes.

Never tried that in ANY other country - amazing Thailand :o

Do they still do that?

Here's where you should look up.

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/engindex.html

I got this URL from a brochure on VAT refund guide distributed by Revenue Department at gift shops for tourists. And it lists the telephone numbers for VAT refund desk counter at Don Muang as 24 hours service (for telephone inquiry), so I would assume it is open 24 hours, whereas VAT Refund for Rourist Office at Revenue Department is open from 8:30 - 16:30.

Here are the phone # at Don Muang and at Paholyothin Rd for you to contact.

Don Muang +662-535-6577~8, +662-535-7321~3

Paholyothin +662-272-9387~8, +662-272-8195~8

or emai: [email protected]

As to question 2), having Bangkok issued round-trip ticket doesn't necessarily make you a resident of Thailand so I assume you're safe? If I were you I would worry about the visa perhaps (whether or not you have non-immigrant visa).

Edited by Nordlys

Here's where you should look up. 

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/engindex.html

I got this URL from a brochure on VAT refund guide distributed by Revenue Department at gift shops for tourists.  And it lists the telephone numbers for VAT refund desk counter at Don Muang as 24 hours service (for telephone inquiry), so I would assume it is open 24 hours, whereas VAT Refund for Rourist Office at Revenue Department is open from 8:30 - 16:30. 

Here are the phone # at Don Muang and at Paholyothin Rd for you to contact. 

Don Muang  +662-535-6577~8,  +662-535-7321~3

Paholyothin +662-272-9387~8,  +662-272-8195~8

or emai: [email protected]

As to question 2), having Bangkok issued round-trip ticket doesn't necessarily make you a resident of Thailand so I assume you're safe?  If I were you I would worry about the visa perhaps (whether or not you have non-immigrant visa).

Thanks for that Nordlys, I called them and appears they are open 24hrs.

Cheers