Overstay? Think Again.

Rooo

It also turns out that the boss of Phuket immigration says nothing has changed so it appears to have been based on hear say as usual. I have a friend who overstays every time he comes back from working. He waits till he gets a call back or the money runs out and simply pays the 20,000 baht at the airport and has a passport full of red stamps and he never gets any hassle. I asked a Thai immigration officer about it and he said no problem. he said it was good for Thailand to take the Farangs 20,000 baht. Only the Burmese go to jail he said. We will know for sure next week as the guy is leaving again with the full 20,000 overstay fine. Lets see if they bang him up ?

Yes it is best to keep your visa up to date. it isn't that hard to do. The trip to Penang is a nice time off the island and gives me chance to stock up on the spices and things you cannot get here.

But to sum up the other thread and to avoid scaremongering, there is no change in rules. Immigration Officials confirm this and there is no mention of any change on the Immigration website or in any recognised news source either in Thai or English language.

The original article is based on information from unspecified sources about an unpublished rule that has apparently changed. A rule so unknown that the only people to know of its change is the writer of the article. No mention of this change anywhere else in print or online.

Scaremongering in order to drum up attention for a new down market newspaper in Pattaya. And it works.

• 1 year later...

The law is the law. i think that over staying more than 6 weeks is just ingorant and most otger countries would not have it. a few days can be pu t down to bad luck or a small mistake but 6 weeks it just taking the chocholate digestive. they deserve prison. they need to be reminded that there are laws here and to bring some of their brains with them when they come to Thailand

The law is the law. i think that over staying more than 6 weeks is just ingorant and most otger countries would not have it. a few days can be pu t down to bad luck or a small mistake but 6 weeks it just taking the chocholate digestive. they deserve prison. they need to be reminded that there are laws here and to bring some of their brains with them when they come to Thailand

agree bigc, this aint REd Tape Europe where you can get away with it !, or even better, a nice big house and $1000 dollars a week untill they find out who you are, if you are over, its deportation or the detention centre in BKK, which isnt nice !!!!

still cant understand WHY people can become an overstay? , either pure laziness or just plan dumb !,

NOTE - 1, 2 or 3 days ok , or if you have a medical issue, but 2 weeks and over !

Edited by Boater
  • Like 1

agree bigc, this aint REd Tape Europe where you can get away with it !, or even better, a nice big house and $1000 dollars a week untill they find out who you are, if you are over, its deportation or the detention centre in BKK, which isnt nice !!!!

still cant understand WHY people can become an overstay? , either pure laziness or just plan dumb !,

NOTE - 1, 2 or 3 days ok , or if you have a medical issue, but 2 weeks and over !

i know of people that have over stayed n the past by 18 days then 3 weeks then 20 days. until the policeman lost it on the last time and went as far as pulling the pirson bus up. he managed to talk his way out of it but he learnt his lesson.

saying tht i had better check my passport lol

Does anyone know if Samui airport has the facility to accept overstay fee, and anyone experienced it?

Flying to UK, but as you can check your bags all the way thru, clear immigration in Samui, and just stay in transit in BKK, I assume in this case any overstay payment (I'm talking about 7 days) would be collected at Samui airport.

Just with it being such a small place, if the facility is there, or will they say I must go domestic and clear immigration in BKK,

Thanks.

I have paid my overstay at Samui before, after check in go through immigration and declare an overstay.

Thanks for that, no problems then?

I asked because when saw my friends off there, there didn't even appear to be any office, just one immigration chap standing near the baggage x-ray machine.